Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeling down on the Raptors? Please tell me why.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great post. Thanks for insights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoBan wrote: View Post
    I'm in the same boat as many of the posters here... I have low expectations but am enough of a homer to be excited anyways. So I guess you can say I am pessimistic. This is a tactic I use to root for teams that continually miss the playoffs, never contend, and are a punchline for much of the rest of the league. I convince myself that we will suck, then anything that good that happens is legitimately exciting.

Here's what I'm excited for:
    • Watching responsible defending
    • The continued maturation of Andrea (all star breakout!??!)
    • The integration of Lowry into our guard rotation
    • Brief glimpses of brilliance from Big Val.

Here's what I am anticipating with positive vibes, but overly excited about:
    • Watching Amir do Amir things (love that guy)
    • Potentially watching LeBron jump clear over our backup PG and throw down
    • Hopefully seeing that Ross is an upgrade over DeRo
    • The remote chance the Quincy Acy is more beastly than anticipated

Here's some things I'm pessimistic about:
    • Watching Derozan still be unable to shoot
    • Davis still getting lost to the point that he pulls at least one complete 360 on court each game
    • BC looking stoic in the tunnel while we're getting badly blown out
    • Klieza catching fire for 2 games and then more or less disappearing for the rest of the season
    • Any Aaron Gray sighting
    • Watching a lottery pick go to another team.

I am really hoping for some nice ball movement on O, and that our guys (Fields, Ross, Klieza, etc) can knock down some open shots. I'm hoping for some hussle rebounds and second chance points thanks to Amir and Val. I'm hoping Bargs and Val can figure out how to defend together, because I think the potential for really solid post D is high, and I'm hoping to see Lowry and Bargs emerge as legit team leaders.

However... I am not holding my breath because we really havent got any hard evidence (save 11 good Bargs games last season and some nice youtube highlights of Big Val) that anything I'm excited about/hoping for is actually coming. We're leaning on leaders that have not really led before, we are positioned for another PG controversy, we are 1 injury away from being a really, really bad team, and we've got 2 recent lotto picks in key roles that havent shown the progression necessary for them to contribe consistently. And really, how can we be that optimistic about a team that hasn't sniffed the playoffs in the last 4 seasons?

This is a great post. Thanks for insights.

Post Thanks / Like

Reason for pessimism? Well, to the core of the team that could barely win 20 games the last two years they've added: a rookie big man, a rookie swingman, a backup two guard and a PG who apparently is going to be battling for the starting job with Calderon. Not exactly awe-inspiring stuff.

I'm excited for basketball to start and I can't wait for opening night (I will be at the ACC for the first home game) but I have serious concerns about this roster, especially on the perimeter. And, of course, they still don't have a single elite player and, as I've been repeating ad nauseum for years now, they can't win until they find a star player. So, while I'm excited, the realist in me is pretty cynical.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We're building a team along the lines of the Indiana Pacers. Good, solid players, deep bench and no stars. While this isn't a recipe for a championship it will at least make us competetive.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoBan wrote: View Post
    I'm in the same boat as many of the posters here... I have low expectations but am enough of a homer to be excited anyways. So I guess you can say I am pessimistic. This is a tactic I use to root for teams that continually miss the playoffs, never contend, and are a punchline for much of the rest of the league. I convince myself that we will suck, then anything that good that happens is legitimately exciting.

Here's what I'm excited for:
    • Watching responsible defending
    • The continued maturation of Andrea (all star breakout!??!)
    • The integration of Lowry into our guard rotation
    • Brief glimpses of brilliance from Big Val.

Here's what I am anticipating with positive vibes, but overly excited about:
    • Watching Amir do Amir things (love that guy)
    • Potentially watching LeBron jump clear over our backup PG and throw down
    • Hopefully seeing that Ross is an upgrade over DeRo
    • The remote chance the Quincy Acy is more beastly than anticipated

Here's some things I'm pessimistic about:
    • Watching Derozan still be unable to shoot
    • Davis still getting lost to the point that he pulls at least one complete 360 on court each game
    • BC looking stoic in the tunnel while we're getting badly blown out
    • Klieza catching fire for 2 games and then more or less disappearing for the rest of the season
    • Any Aaron Gray sighting
    • Watching a lottery pick go to another team.

I am really hoping for some nice ball movement on O, and that our guys (Fields, Ross, Klieza, etc) can knock down some open shots. I'm hoping for some hussle rebounds and second chance points thanks to Amir and Val. I'm hoping Bargs and Val can figure out how to defend together, because I think the potential for really solid post D is high, and I'm hoping to see Lowry and Bargs emerge as legit team leaders.

However... I am not holding my breath because we really havent got any hard evidence (save 11 good Bargs games last season and some nice youtube highlights of Big Val) that anything I'm excited about/hoping for is actually coming. We're leaning on leaders that have not really led before, we are positioned for another PG controversy, we are 1 injury away from being a really, really bad team, and we've got 2 recent lotto picks in key roles that havent shown the progression necessary for them to contribe consistently. And really, how can we be that optimistic about a team that hasn't sniffed the playoffs in the last 4 seasons?
    I love that haha!

I think that no one is optimistic really...we just think we are going to be better than last year, which is still bad to mediocre. I think in order for someone to say we are "making progress" would be to watch us improve over the course of a