PnR Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PnR Defense

(I posted this in the on the main page, but then realized it would be better to discuss it here.)

I spent some time tracking how David Lee scored his points, and have attached them below. Nearly all of them were scored via PnR.

Why is our pick and roll defense so horrid? It is a huge flaw that will come to haunt us if not addressed sooner rather than later.

Has it always been this way?
    ----------------------------
    **First Quarter**
    Bargs @ 10:37 4-5 David Lee makes layup (Chris Duhon assists)
    Bargs @ 9:55 7-10 David Lee makes 19-foot jumper (Chris Duhon assists)
    Bargs @ 4:00 16-24 David Lee makes 19-foot jumper (Nate Robinson assists)
    Bargs @ 3:28 16-26 David Lee makes driving layup (Nate Robinson assists)
    3:28 Andrea Bargnani shooting foul (David Lee draws the foul) 16-26
    3:28 16-27 David Lee makes free throw 1 of 1
    Amir @ 2:46 16-29 David Lee makes jumper (Danilo Gallinari assists)
    Amir @ 0:32 Amir Johnson shooting foul (David Lee draws the foul) 20-32
    0:32 20-33 David Lee makes free throw 1 of 2
    0:32 20-34 David Lee makes free throw 2 of 2
    **Second Quarter**
    Bosh (not getting back) @ 5:01 35-42 David Lee makes layup
    Bargs @ 3:13 40-46 David Lee makes driving layup
    **Third Quarter**
    Bargs @ 8:27 56-57 David Lee makes two point shot (Chris Duhon assists)
    Bargs @ 7:52 58-59 David Lee makes layup
    Bosh @ 3:47 68-71 David Lee makes two point shot (Chris Duhon assists)
    **Fourth Quarter**
    Turk @ 5:03 97-94 David Lee makes layup (Danilo Gallinari assists)
    Bosh @ 1:47 97-102 David Lee makes slam dunk (Nate Robinson assists)
    Bosh @ 0:09 105-104 David Lee makes layup

Good thing we don't have to matchup against Stockton and Malone. They made a career out of the pick and roll game and it helped make them 2 of the top 50 NBA players.

Comment

My first thought would be because our players (bigs/smalls) aren't super-fast at moving laterally and/or backwards when rotating and/or switching in order to beat the dribbler and the cutter to the spot where the pass is made and received.

I also think many other teams have the same problem defending the PnR. It might be logical to argue that offensive players who are moving forward have the ability (the advantage) to beat a defensive player(s) who are moving laterally or backwards. It's a testament to how effective the PnR is as a play.
      Last edited by James Ballswin (Realizar); Fri Jan 29, 2010, 01:11 PM.
      RR OG

Comment

Most NBA teams struggle to defend pnr. Current hand checking rules make it especially effective and if the screen is moving its even deadlier.

Comment

But this isn't a Stockton and Malone, or even Nash and Stoudamire PnR. This is Duhon/Robinson and Lee.

Though to be fair, they do have Mike D'Antoni teaching them this play.

Still, Duhon for example cannot shoot, so you should go under. Nate will go to the hole and is unlikely to pass, so a help defender needs to come. Or if Bosh picks up Nate, then the trailing guard needs to box out Lee.

Comment

lol.. these stats sure makes bargs look like the worse defender ever ... to defend against PnR's you have to see it coming and the communication has to be coming from the other players on the court...
            ~ Court Surfing ~

Comment

This just tells us that Bosh and Bargs are not the best defenders, but also David Lee is the only guy on the team that is keeping the Knicks in any ball game at all. The aggressor of the PnR attacker, who is Lee, is a Gung-ho crazy guy and he is executing the plays. I just believe only less then 5 players in the league has the type of motor and talent that David Lee has.

I just came up with this scenario, I believe when Shaq's contract expires, I think Lebron will stay in Cleveland and David Lee will be signed by Cleveland as PF and Verajao will be the Center. Those NYK fans are soooo screwed. HAHA

Comment

tdoto wrote: View Post
                lol.. these stats sure makes bargs look like the worse defender ever ... to defend against PnR's you have to see it coming and the communication has to be coming from the other players on the court...
                In Bargs' defence, he was playing with a sore foot, which would impact his quickness.

Additionally, the plays Ripp's provided in his OP show that the Knicks were successful running the PnR against Bargs, which was likely their planned offensive strategy.
                RR OG

Comment

Working...
                X