Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: The price of Iggy.

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    226
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The price of Iggy.

    Remember those reports last spring that the Toronto Raptors were interested in bringing in Andre Iguodala or Rudy Gay? Raptors fans, desperate for something, salivated at the thought of landing either one of them at the time. On Tuesday, Raptors president and general manager, Bryan Colangelo, spoke on the Mike Richards Show on TSN 1050 Radio in Toronto, and explained that Iguodala was on the table but price was too steep. He wasn't kidding. From what I've been told by an NBA source, the Sixers were eyeing Toronto's eventual first-round pick this summer, Terrence Ross, along with an additional first-round pick, plus point guard Jose Calderon's expiring contract along with another roster player, believed to be forward Ed Davis. TSN

    source: hoopshype.com


    SHUT THE FRONT DOOR?!

    Terrence Ross,Lowry(essentially), Jose and Davis?

    I for one am glad this didnt go down...and i wanted Iggy bad.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,363
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Have to agree.

    Hopefully this gives people an idea of how difficult it is to land an upper tier talent.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,660
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Steep but not surprising. Glad we didn't give it all up. Iggy's a top defender but isn't a franchise cornerstone ala Durant, etc.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,966
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    At this rate, it may cost MLSE the Leafs and TFC in order to nab Gay from Memphis.

    I'd still make the trade...
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Colborne, ON
    Posts
    240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    At this rate, it may cost MLSE the Leafs and TFC in order to nab Gay from Memphis.

    I'd still make the trade...
    That would be a steal for the Raps!! I don't think Memphis would make that deal.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    At this rate, it may cost MLSE the Leafs and TFC in order to nab Gay from Memphis.

    I'd still make the trade...
    Leafs just got ranked the WORST franchise in North American Professional Sports.
    Not sure that does much for their trade value. haha
    In Masai we Trust.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How long to we have to wait before we LOL @ the people that think Demar, Ed, and Jose would be enough to get this deal done?

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    96
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoBan wrote: View Post
    How long to we have to wait before we LOL @ the people that think Demar, Ed, and Jose would be enough to get this deal done?
    I laugh at them all the time. Some people don't understand how much you have to give up to get a high value player. They're not cheap and you can't just give you're scraps away thinking that it will net you a star.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    558
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoBan wrote: View Post
    How long to we have to wait before we LOL @ the people that think Demar, Ed, and Jose would be enough to get this deal done?
    This trade speculated was: Jose, Ed, Ross and future 1st ... Is that drastically different than Jose, Ed, Demar?
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Spin Doctor spoke again! Whether it was the asking price after lengthy discussion or the initial (over)price, we will never know.

    If Iggy was on a lengthy, friendly contract, I would have no problem whatsoever with trading Ross + 1st round pick + Jose Calderon + Ed Davis for him. None.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,288
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would have made that deal for Gay, but not Iguodala, since Gay is locked up for a number of years. If Iguodala would have made a commitment (ie: used his option), then I would have probably done it for him, but as a 2nd choice.


    Calderon - expiring contract, was replaced by Lowry and could come back next offseason and re-sign for less as a veteran backup PG (expiring 2nd string player)

    Davis - completely redundant to Amir, essentially a third string player (3rd string player)

    Ross - personally, I'd rather include DeRozan instead of Ross, but either one of them is essentially a third string player if Gay & Fields are the starting wings (3rd string player)

    Additional 1st round pick - Toronto could easily have used some combination of their 2 2013 2nd round picks (Sacramento's & their own), their own 2014 2nd round pick and cash, to trade for the additional 1st round pick required to complete the trade (essentially 1/2 2nd round pick(s) and/or cash)

    So.... lets see, the deal would go down as this:
    2nd string player & 3rd string player & 3rd string player & 1/2 2nd round pick(s) & cash --> Rudy Gay

    When you exclude the names and the emotional attachments, suddenly the deal makes sense, since the Raptors would have been trading from positions of strength/depth to address the most glaring weakness on the team!


    STARTERS
    C: Valanciunas
    PF: Bargnani
    SF: Gay
    SG: Fields
    PG: Lowry

    BACKUPS
    C: Gray
    PF: Amir
    SF: Kleiza
    SG: DeRozan
    PG: Lucas III (or somebody else acquired in subsequent deal/signing)

    BENCH
    - Acy
    - McGuire
    - Anderson

    When I look at that team, I personally don't even miss the players traded away!
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Sep 12th, 2012 at 10:14 AM.

  12. #12
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,288
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoBan wrote: View Post
    How long to we have to wait before we LOL @ the people that think Demar, Ed, and Jose would be enough to get this deal done?
    Most of the trades I proposed/considered as 'fair' for Gay or Iguodala, included DeRozan & Davis & Calderon & additional 1st round pick... which is essentially the same as this rumor, aside from the request for the younger/cheaper SG (Ross), instead of DeRozan. I don't think it's really that far off.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    This trade speculated was: Jose, Ed, Ross and future 1st ... Is that drastically different than Jose, Ed, Demar?
    Depends on if you think Demar has more value than Ross + another lottery pick. That is where the laughing part comes in.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,500
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    The Spin Doctor spoke again! Whether it was the asking price after lengthy discussion or the initial (over)price, we will never know.

    If Iggy was on a lengthy, friendly contract, I would have no problem whatsoever with trading Ross + 1st round pick + Jose Calderon + Ed Davis for him. None.
    Except had we traded a first round pick we would not of had it to get Lowry, so we bring in Iggy and have a team with no PG and ZERO depth, ya that would be a fun team to watch.

  15. #15
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,288
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    Except had we traded a first round pick we would not of had it to get Lowry, so we bring in Iggy and have a team with no PG and ZERO depth, ya that would be a fun team to watch.
    Not true. Another 1st round pick could be acquired, to be used in a deal like this one (if it went down after the Lowry trade). Or the terms of the conditions on the 1st round pick for Lowry could have been changed. I assume that Lowry would have still been acquired, when considering this rumored deal.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Most of the trades I proposed/considered as 'fair' for Gay or Iguodala, included DeRozan & Davis & Calderon & additional 1st round pick... which is essentially the same as this rumor, aside from the request for the younger/cheaper SG (Ross), instead of DeRozan. I don't think it's really that far off.
    Which is a much more reasonable offer (Although I am unclear on where the extra pick comes from after the Lowry deal). You have a more realistic valuation of our current players. That other thread includes guys saying they wouldn't trade DeRo straight up for Chander, Gallow or Deng.

  17. #17
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,288
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoBan wrote: View Post
    Which is a much more reasonable offer (Although I am unclear on where the extra pick comes from after the Lowry deal). You have a more realistic valuation of our current players. That other thread includes guys saying they wouldn't trade DeRo straight up for Chander, Gallow or Deng.
    I think an additional 1st round pick would be quite easy to come by, especially since several are typically 'sold' every year. The Raps have 2 2013 2nd round picks, 1 2014 2nd round pick and up to $3M cash, which I'm sure they could've used to acquire an additional 1st round pick.

    I personally wouldn't trade DeRozan for Chandler, Deng or Granger, since I'm not nearly as high on them as I am on Iguodala and Gay (I don't think Gallo's available). I just think that Gay & Iggy bring everything that this team needs out of the starting SF. I also think that Gay is significantly better all around than most Raptors fans believe, because we don't get to see him play much and also because I think he defers to Randolph & Gasol. He knows his role and plays it well. He's young, athletic, contributes and both ends of the court and I think if given the chance to be a top option, he could blossom into an even better player.

    To me, giving up Calderon, Davis, DeRozan/Ross and some combination of 2nd round picks and/or cash (to get that extra 1st round pick), would have been a solid and fair trade.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    Except had we traded a first round pick we would not of had it to get Lowry, so we bring in Iggy and have a team with no PG and ZERO depth, ya that would be a fun team to watch.
    The price for Lowry was not high enough to say the Raptors not having one pick that was part of the actual deal would have precluded them from making any acceptable offer to Houston.

    In the end, we don't know if the Spin Doctor would have traded for Lowry had he acquired AI.

    By the way, it's not so clear from the quote when the possibility of acquiring AI was on the table. After the draft certainly if Ross was part of the asking price, but whether it was before or after July 11, it's not mentioned.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,363
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    The price for Lowry was not high enough to say the Raptors not having one pick that was part of the actual deal would have precluded them from making any acceptable offer to Houston.

    In the end, we don't know if the Spin Doctor would have traded for Lowry had he acquired AI.

    By the way, it's not so clear from the quote when the possibility of acquiring AI was on the table. After the draft certainly if Ross was part of the asking price, but whether it was before or after July 11, it's not mentioned.
    i don't think the Lowry deal happens without the pick... I could be wrong. Morey was selling the pick as a guaranteed lottery pick.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I think an additional 1st round pick would be quite easy to come by, especially since several are typically 'sold' every year. The Raps have 2 2013 2nd round picks, 1 2014 2nd round pick and up to $3M cash, which I'm sure they could've used to acquire an additional 1st round pick.

    I personally wouldn't trade DeRozan for Chandler, Deng or Granger, since I'm not nearly as high on them as I am on Iguodala and Gay (I don't think Gallo's available). I just think that Gay & Iggy bring everything that this team needs out of the starting SF. I also think that Gay is significantly better all around than most Raptors fans believe, because we don't get to see him play much and also because I think he defers to Randolph & Gasol. He knows his role and plays it well. He's young, athletic, contributes and both ends of the court and I think if given the chance to be a top option, he could blossom into an even better player.

    To me, giving up Calderon, Davis, DeRozan/Ross and some combination of 2nd round picks and/or cash (to get that extra 1st round pick), would have been a solid and fair trade.

    Iggy and Deng have had very similar careers. Using their career stats, I find that Deng is actually a better player.

    Here is a break down:

    Career Totals:

    Name Lg G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
    Iggy NBA 615 615 37.7 5.4 11.6 .461 0.9 2.8 .331 3.7 5.0 .737 1.1 4.8 5.8 4.9 1.7 0.5 2.4 2.1 15.3
    Deng NBA 539 493 35.5 6.2 13.4 .465 0.5 1.6 .337 3.0 3.9 .765 1.7 4.7 6.4 2.3 1.0 0.6 1.8 1.8 16.0


    Playoff Totals:

    Name Lg G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
    Iggy NBA 35 30 39.5 4.8 11.8 .404 1.1 3.3 .333 3.1 4.9 .643 1.3 4.4 5.7 4.8 1.8 0.4 2.5 2.3 13.8
    Deng NBA 43 27 39.7 6.6 14.3 .462 0.7 2.5 .296 3.1 4.0 .769 1.9 5.0 6.9 2.0 1.2 0.8 1.6 2.3 17.0


    Both were on the all-rookie team and on one all-star team. Both had one season where they are on the all-defensive second team. Salary-wise Deng is owed $27.5M in two seasons, Iggy about $31M in 1+1 seasons (second season is a player option). Deng is 27 years old and Iggy is 28 years old. Iggy however does have better WP numbers though.

    I actually think Deng is a better value. Plus he has better playoff numbers. His assist count is low but that's okay if you have a distributor like Lowry on the team, IMO.

    Perhaps Chicago would be interested in a similar trade for Deng as Philly was about to do for Iggy. If that was the case, I'd be interested in making that deal happen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •