Yunel Escobar:Homophobic Racist...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yunel Escobar:Homophobic Racist...?

Anybody else see this on sportsnet?The MLB is looking into apparently spanish homophobic and racist terms written inside his eye black.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

http://deadspin.com/5943997/yunel-es...got-in-spanish

Not sure if putting it on his eye-black was such a good idea, but let's not pretend this type of thing isn't still said on a regular basis on the diamond, court, field, streets, office, etc. Personally, I couldn't care less. I think I learned that word in grade 3...

Comment

The word faggot doesn't even mean what it used to anymore. Now you just call people faggots because they're being dicks.

No pun intended.

Comment

Tesla wrote: View Post
        The word faggot doesn't even mean what it used to anymore. Now you just call people faggots because they're being dicks.

No pun intended.
        Except that in this case the word is "maricon" which is not in this on line Spanish dictionary:

http://www.123teachme.com/spanish_di.../sp2en/maricon

Not being a Spanish speaker, reliable sources, CTV, CBC, are saying that maricon is a derogatory term for homosexual. I think the only confusion is about why Escobar did what he did.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
          Except that in this case the word is "maricon" which is not in this on line Spanish dictionary:

http://www.123teachme.com/spanish_di.../sp2en/maricon

Not being a Spanish speaker, reliable sources, CTV, CBC, are saying that maricon is a derogatory term for homosexual. I think the only confusion is about why Escobar did what he did.
          I doubt the dictionary has derogatory/slang terms.

I don't much care now that I know what it says.

I call people fags that stare at me too. That word gets tossed around like a rag doll.
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

Hey, you brought it up, not me.

Comment

Regardless on what he thought it meant to him, he knew what it meant to others. Irresponsible and an absolute idiot.

Comment

To say that Yunel wrote the comment for no reason is being too naive. It is not acceptable and should not be repeated. That being said, I don't think too much should be made of it. I expect the standard claim that it was not directed at anybody but it was a mistake and an apology in the Press Conference today. I don't condone beating him up over it although the Press in particular will do a lot of that.
                Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

racist?

how so?

homophobic for sure.... but racist?

i've called many people "maricon" in my life.... and it has literally never had anything to do with the fact that they're dirty mexicans

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                    racist?

how so?

homophobic for sure.... but racist?

i've called many people "maricon" in my life.... and it has literally never had anything to do with the fact that they're dirty mexicans
                    Agree. It wasn't racist but homophobic which is also not right. There's a difference between a person calling somebody something casually(in a social situation) and Yunel displaying it on the Black underneath his eyes on a Public playing field as a member of a professional sports team.

Did he make a mistake? Yes. Should he be beaten up? No.
                    Last edited by Eric Akshinthala; Tue Sep 18, 2012, 01:53 PM.
                    Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

No, I just heard it on the tv and it was breaking news. So, They didn't have any details, the guy said it was a homophobic and/or racial slur.

That's why I put the "...?"

It's idiotic to do such a thing because it's detrimental to the team. But, society has become full of sensitive little bitches, I mean what the hell ever happened to the term "Sticks and stones may break my bones,but words(names) will never hurt me"?

Have we honestly got so bored that now we get offended for the sake of getting offended?

I mean they actually considered taking the Dire Straits song "Money for Nothing" that has been playing on the radio since it's 70's release off the air because a few lines use the word "faggot" and it's actually a compliment in that song!

What the hell happened to freedom of speech?

The TV people won't even say "you are a faggot" is what it meant, they just say "homophobic slur".

It's a joke. I mean it's a word and it's not even directed at anyone.

Comment

the best part was turning on the news and they were actually SAYING what was written... like, totally ignoring the fact that they were actually saying "faggot" over and over again in some people's eyes...

all i could think was if i was watching a chinese news broadcast for whatever reason.... and ignore the blatant ignorant racism that is about to follow, but i cant think of any other way to type it out.... and i heard..

"ching chong ling ching chong you're a faggot ching chong ling"

Comment

Suspension looming? Beyond what it is going to cost Escobar, it's an embarrassment. There is a press conference today at Yankee Stadium. There will be an apology, something to the effect that it was a prank that was not thought through well.

Comment

Suspended 3 games by the Jays I believe. It really is a dumb thing to do and I'm kinda surprised no one else saw it, such as coaching staff or team mates.. granted they all don't Spanish and it could have been seen as a joke, but no one thought to tell him it was probaaaably a bad idea..? I like Yunel as a player but a lot of the time this year I've just seen him looking pouty and sulking.. Yeah, he's not had a great season, but there's already been bad press about him being trouble in the club house, and frankly now I'm starting to think there was truth to it. He hasn't been playing it smart by any means, I think It'll be interesting to see how much longer he's in a Jays uniform

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                              the best part was turning on the news and they were actually SAYING what was written... like, totally ignoring the fact that they were actually saying "faggot" over and over again in some people's eyes...

all i could think was if i was watching a chinese news broadcast for whatever reason.... and ignore the blatant ignorant racism that is about to follow, but i cant think of any other way to type it out.... and i heard..

"ching chong ling ching chong you're a faggot ching chong ling"
                              Hahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X