ESPN rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN rankings

Not sure if you guys have been following this thing.
    I find it a little ridiculous, but I'm still curious to see where our boys land.
    SO far, we've got -

81 - Andrea Bargnani

101 - Demar Derozan

148 - Jose Calderon

150 - Leandro Barbosa

190 - Amir Johnson

195 - Jerry Bayless

199 - Kleiza

203 - Ed Davis

244 - Reggie Evans

294 - Julian Wright *

313 - Jonas Valanciunas

355 - James Johnson *

406 - Joey Dorsey

416 - Alexis Ajinca

497 - Solomon Alabi
    *I think they mixed up who these guys were ...

And there you have it.

They don't look to favourably upon our boys it seems.

Ah well, good thing its only ESPN.
    Last edited by Joey; Tue Sep 18, 2012, 10:09 AM.

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Not sure if you guys have been following this thing.
    I find it a little ridiculous, but I'm still curious to see where our boys land.
    SO far, we've got -

*I think they mixed up who these guys were ...

Only guys left are Demar an Bargnani.

Any predictions?
    SI.com had Demar just outside of the Top 100, and Bargs was around 65 (?) I think.
    Jose doesn't get to be on the list?

Regardless of what one thinks of Bayless or Amir, how are they possibly that close together?

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
      Jose doesn't get to be on the list?
      OH YA!!! Obviously!! I knew I forgot someone. Thanks GT!!

Comment

Amir Johnson is way better than that. What exactly are they basing this on?
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
          I'm doubtful anyone could name 189 players better than Amir that I would believe.

I already see Josh Howard, Will Bynum, Jeff Teague, Matt Barnes, Rodrigue Beaubois and Shannon Brown who in no way shape or form should be ranked ahead of him. I imagine I'll be able to list atleast another 83 after that.

Comment

You know this overall NBA rank right. I believe all of the NBA writers for ESPN are polling these players and the average of the votes rank the player.

Comment

Sorry should have posted this.

Source
              How did we rank the players?

We asked 91 experts to rate each player on a 0-to-10 scale, in terms of "the current quality of each player."

Here is the full list of voters from ESPN.com, the TrueHoop Network, TrueHoop TV, Daily Dime Live, ESPN TV, ESPN Radio, ESPN Deportes, espnW, ESPN The Magazine, ESPN Insider, ESPN Fantasy, ESPN Games, ESPN Dallas, ESPN Los Angeles, ESPN Chicago, ESPN New York, ESPN Stats & Information, ESPN Topics and ESPN Analytics.

To decide which players to rank, we started with every player who played in the league last season, and then eliminated players who had signed overseas contracts that made them ineligible for the 2011-12 NBA season. Then we added the 60 members of the 2011 draft class, eliminating those not likely to play in the NBA by 2012. That left 500 players, according to our best information as of August 15.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                Sorry should have posted this.

Source
                So what you're saying is that's it's basically arbitrary.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

+1 Completely and Utterly arbitrary. I would definately like to hear their definition of
                  "91 experts"

Comment

100%. It's ESPN.
                    Everything they do is based off of their own arbitrary truth.

And just as Sitnondfence pointed out, that also applies to their definition of 'Expert'. haha

I've been saying this list is completely and utterly ridiculous since Day 1.
                    But its still Trashy Entertainment, that helps pass the day. hahah

Comment

This is what they posted about Amir:

@tomhaberstroh: Amir Johnson's PER was better than the following players: Iguodala, Rondo, Joe Johnson. Alas, Amir's foul rate = those 3 *combined*. #NBArank

@Ianic: Amir Johnson is actually somewhat underrated at 190 despite his contract, good energy and decent game. #NBArank
                      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

did anyone read the insider article? I did not. I just find it interesting that the headline featured "Amir Johnson rising in the rankings"

Comment

Seems we forgot about Barbosa as well.

He came in at an even #150. Not to bad.

(NOTE: The man we traded him for, Hedo Turkoglu, came in at #153.)

Comment

How did we forgot Barbosa?

Jose in there at #148.

Two Raptors to go!
                            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

@DashiellD Jose Calderon -- the only player whose FIBA team is better than his NBA team. #NBArank
                              Haha! uuuuugh....
                              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Working...
                              X