John Wall
    Mike Conley
    Tony Parker
    Kemba Walker
    Russell Westbrook
    Jeff Teague
    Damian Lillard
    Tyreke Evans

All these guys are a BETTER PG than Lowry.

And like i said before, Lowry is an unproven PG. He's a career backup. And so far he's proving me right.
    Deron Williams is overrated. Having such an average season. I would say no. Bad contract too.

Jose? Seriously. There's a reason we kept Lowry.

Bledsoe can't run a team. Numbers back it up when CP3 was out.

Nash is declining. Watch the Lakers play.

Rubio MIGHT be better down the road. Great passer, great court vision. But doesn't have a perimeter shot, and a just as bad a defender as Jose.

Dragic is okay, not having a better season than Lowry though, an impact player for a poor team.

Eh, I'd probably still take Lowry over Vasquez. Watching Lowry play at his BEST is awesome.

John Wall is overrated. Plays for the "ooooh's and aaaah's". Has potential, but man he's regressing.

Kemba Walker. Seriously? He's not getting better than what he is now.

Jeff Teague? HAHA.

Tyreke Evans isn't a point guard...

You have Mike Conley twice... This is still a debate. Lowry on the Grizzlies in my opinion wouldn't look much different.

Try again.

Post Thanks / Like

Lowry was ranked a top 10 guard last season before the infection, and was the most underrated guard in the league last year.

Only different names on your list is Lillard being a rookie, and Vasquez who has improved. Lowry playing his game is fun to watch, and has potential to be even better. Don't blame Lowry for not playing great, blame Casey.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Deron Williams is overrated. Having such an average season. I would say no. Bad contract too.

Jose? Seriously. There's a reason we kept Lowry.

Bledsoe can't run a team. Numbers back it up when CP3 was out.

Nash is declining. Watch the Lakers play.

Rubio MIGHT be better down the road. Great passer, great court vision. But doesn't have a perimeter shot, and a just as bad a defender as Jose.

Dragic is okay, not having a better season than Lowry though, an impact player for a poor team.

Eh, I'd probably still take Lowry over Vasquez. Watching Lowry play at his BEST is awesome.

John Wall is overrated. Plays for the "ooooh's and aaaah's". Has potential, but man he's regressing.

Kemba Walker. Seriously? He's not getting better than what he is now.

Jeff Teague? HAHA.

Tyreke Evans isn't a point guard...

You have Mike Conley twice... This is still a debate. Lowry on the Grizzlies in my opinion wouldn't look much different.

Try again.
    Wow. Deron Williams is overrated? multiple all star apperances. Member of the US Olympic Team in 08 and 12. Only the elites make that team. But yeah he's overrated.

You'd take Lowry over Rubio and Wall? are you crazy? So if Minny or Washington offers Ricky or Wall for Lowry straight up, you wouldn't do it?

Lowry lost his starting job to Dragic in Houston and to Jose in TO. That pretty much says everything. And oh he was Conley's backup in Memphis.

Nash is declining yes but he's still a much better shooter and playmaker than Lowry.

Before you laugh i suggest you watch Kemba Walker and Jeff Teague play.

Evans can play the point. He proved it in his first couple of seasons in Sacramento.

Homerism at it's finest. Try again.
    Last edited by TRex; Sat Mar 2nd, 2013 at 02:49 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Wow. Deron Williams is overrated? multiple all star apperances. Member of the US Olympic Team in 08 and 12. Only the elites make that team. But yeah he's overrated.

You'd take Lowry over Rubio and Wall? are you crazy? So if Minny or Washington offers Ricky or Wall for Lowry straight up, you wouldn't do it?

Lowry lost his starting job to Dragic in Houston and to Jose in TO. That pretty much says everything. And oh he was Conley's backup in Memphis.

Nash is declining yes but he's still a much better shooter and playmaker than Lowry.

Before you laugh i suggest you watch Kemba Walker and Jeff Teague play.

Evans can play the point. He proved it in his first couple of seasons in Sacramento.

Homerism at it's finest. Try again.
    Have you seen him play this season? He's been so average, and Nets are lucky to be where they are at this point. I don't think you remember how bad New Jersey was when Deron arrived, and played a season for them. Another lottery appearance. Guy doesn't make an impact like the other point guards.

Yes, because in Houston, he was injured for 30+ games, and - like Toronto did with Jose - kept running the hot hand.

Never said I would take Lowry over Rubio, just said Lowry is the better player now. READ.

Nash is declining, but how does that help other than the present time?

Yeah, I am watching Kemba and Teague play. HAHA.

Evans proved he can play point? He's a combo guard, NOT a point guard. Score first mentality, and that's fine for a point guard, he just doesn't balance scoring between play-making, and that's why Sacramento is still a bad, bad team.

*sigh* Got to take account present and future time. Plus, reading is a nice attribute. Try again.

Post Thanks / Like

To add on, Deron Williams is a overpaid.

Rubio will probably be better down the road, not now. But, Lowry is better suited to play for his type of team.

I would take Lowry over Walker/Teague 1000000 times out of 1000000 times.

Evans is not a point guard. I can't believe this is even discussion that he is. He can handle the ball, but he is a combo guard, HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok.

Derrick Rose
    Rajon Rondo
    Chris Paul
    Deron Williams
    Steph Curry
    Jrue Holliday
    Jose Calderon
    Ty Lawson
    Eric Bledsoe
    Steve Nash
    Ricky Rubio
    Goran Dragic
    Kyrie Irving
    Brandon Jennings
    Mike Conley
    Greivis Vazquez
    John Wall
    Mike Conley
    Tony Parker
    Kemba Walker
    Russell Westbrook
    Jeff Teague
    Damian Lillard
    Tyreke Evans
    George Hill

And like i said before, Lowry is an unproven PG. He's a career backup. And so far he's proving me right.
    The list contains names of some quality PG's but not all PG's mentioned are better than Lyle Lowry. However I get the feeling that he will never be this 'all-star caliber PG' that he's supposed to be. The main reason for that IMO is that his aggressive style of play and physical make up don't match. He's too small to be successful with his mentality.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you seen him play this season? He's been so average, and Nets are lucky to be where they are at this point. I don't think you remember how bad New Jersey was when Deron arrived, and played a season for them. Another lottery appearance. Guy doesn't make an impact like the other point guards.

Yes, because in Houston, he was injured for 30+ games, and - like Toronto did with Jose - kept running the hot hand.

Never said I would take Lowry over Rubio, just said Lowry is the better player now. READ.

Nash is declining, but how does that help other than the present time?

Yeah, I am watching Kemba and Teague play. HAHA.

Evans proved he can play point? He's a combo guard, NOT a point guard. Score first mentality, and that's fine for a point guard, he just doesn't balance scoring between play-making, and that's why Sacramento is still a bad, bad team.

*sigh* Got to take account present and future time. Plus, reading is a nice attribute. Try again.
    Do you really think Lowry is a better PG than Rubio now? Rubio is already a 10x better passer/playmaker than Lowry. Not even close. Rubio is the PERFECT PG for this Raps team with the way he passes the ball.

Yeah Evans PROVED that he can play the point. Rookie of the year in 09-10 averaging 20/5/5 for Sacramento in his first year as a starting PG. Can Lowry ever put up those type of numbers? or even come close to it? doubt it.

Deron Williams is having an off year. But his off year numbers are still way better than Lowry. That says it all. This guy is a HOF type of talent. Please don't put Lowry in the same sentence with Deron again because it's embarassing.

Again, i suggest you watch Kemba Walker and Jeff Teague play more. I bet you'd wet your pants if the Raps get either of these guys for Lowry.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you really think Lowry is a better PG than Rubio now? Rubio is already a 10x better passer/playmaker than Lowry. Not even close. Rubio is the PERFECT PG for this Raps team with the way he passes the ball.

Yeah Evans PROVED that he can play the point. Rookie of the year in 09-10 averaging 20/5/5 for Sacramento in his first year as a starting PG. Can Lowry ever put up those type of numbers? or even come close to it? doubt it.

Deron Williams is having an off year. But his off year numbers are still way better than Lowry. That says it all. This guy is a HOF type of talent. Please don't put Lowry in the same sentence with Deron again because it's embarassing.

Again, i suggest you watch Kemba Walker and Jeff Teague play more. I bet you'd wet your pants if the Raps get either of these guys for Lowry.
    Reading. I think Rubio is an awesome talent, don't get me wrong there. Just said Lowry would have a bigger impact on a given team more NOW than Rubio. Rubio WILL be a top 5 point guard in the future.

Deron Williams. This guy isn't a great player. Off year, doesn't matter. If he's a great player, he should still be impacting a player in a positive way, and he just doesn't do enough for the Nets. Eh, HOF talent? Nope. Not in my books. You've got to be kidding me. Great players/hall-of-fame players don't have off-seasons unless they've been under a significant injury.

I can't believe Evans is being discussed as a point guard. He's NOT a point guard. There's a reason Sacramento asks of him to play off the ball. The guy can score, no doubt, but he's a COMBO GUARD. 20/5/5 says great stats, but do stats tell you if they're a point guard or not? Just saying, but Wade averages those numbers for his career, but he's not a point guard. Evans is in that Wade mold - combo guard, can handle, and can pass, but not a point guard - except Dwayne Wade is a good player... Evans is far too much a scorer than a score-first point guard.

Again, I suggest you stop telling me to watch more of Teague and Kemba, I definitely watch enough to know. Problem is, they are what they are. And that's why I laugh. They're the same players... Would the team look any different with Teague or Walker? Nope, if anything, maybe worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading. I think Rubio is an awesome talent, don't get me wrong there. Just said Lowry would have a bigger impact on a given team more NOW than Rubio. Rubio WILL be a top 5 point guard in the future.

Deron Williams. This guy isn't a great player. Off year, doesn't matter. If he's a great player, he should still be impacting a player in a positive way, and he just doesn't do enough for the Nets. Eh, HOF talent? Nope. Not in my books. You've got to be kidding me. Great players/hall-of-fame players don't have off-seasons unless they've been under a significant injury.

I can't believe Evans is being discussed as a point guard. He's NOT a point guard. There's a reason Sacramento asks of him to play off the ball. The guy can score, no doubt, but he's a COMBO GUARD. 20/5/5 says great stats, but do stats tell you if they're a point guard or not? Just saying, but Wade averages those numbers for his career, but he's not a point guard. Evans is in that Wade mold - combo guard, can handle, and can pass, but not a point guard - except Dwayne Wade is a good player... Evans is far too much a scorer than a score-first point guard.

Again, I suggest you stop telling me to watch more of Teague and Kemba, I definitely watch enough to know. Problem is, they are what they are. And that's why I laugh. They're the same players... Would the team look any different with Teague or Walker? Nope, if anything, maybe worse.
    Teague is only 24 years old. Kemba 22. Teague is one of the best defensive PG's in the NBA. Offensively he's not bad. 14/7. 37% from the 3pt line.

Walker on the other hand reminds me alot of Starbury with his quickness and his ability to score and break people down. He's going to be an all-star one day i guarantee you that.

Off to my first Whitecaps game today, so i'll reply to some of your response later lol peace

Post Thanks / Like

Teague is only 24 years old. Kemba 22. Teague is one of the best defensive PG's in the NBA. Offensively he's not bad. 14/7. 37% from the 3pt line.

Walker on the other hand reminds me alot of Starbury with his quickness and his ability to score and break people down. He's going to be an all-star one day i guarantee you that.

Off to my first Whitecaps game today, so i'll reply to some of your response later lol peace
    White caps? You live in Vancouver? Like, the Soccer team?

Anyways, they might be solid right now, but they both had the question when drafted of "are they going to improve?" Remember, when we mostly all wanted Walker, there was a debate about him and Brandon Knight, because of the potential factor.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

this discussion seems a bit difficult to me. Lowry may not be the answer, but PG is also a very deep position. It doesn't make it easy to get an elite PG...who knows when the next one of those will move (I'd keep an eye on aging Boston and San Antonio teams, for starters), and the draft is never certain...Even John Wall has been a bust to some degree given his talent. He really hasn't made any significant strides as a PG. I only single him out because he was a consensus #1 pick. I mean, he could still greatly improve, but you can never be sure when predicting someone's learning curve.

After the elite...there are a lot of solid PGs. I think Lowry is a solid PG. I really belive injuries and adjusting his game have helped lead to a subpar season. But I don't think we need to be in a rush to do anything about it. Next year is a contract year for him. He should want to come back healthy and ready, and hopefully have a strong season. Then if the team likes him he might be worth re-signing, and if they don't, they can trade him when his value is really high to hopefully get a better starting PG.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

he's still figuring out how to make the most of his talent in casey's system, hope he figures that shit out.
    Last edited by akashsingh; Sat Mar 2nd, 2013 at 04:10 PM.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowry is going to play balls out next season as he will be playing for a contract.

I don't think he's as good as I had hoped he would be at the beginning of the season and it was probably a combo of Casey and Bryan that forced him to change his style of game. However the 'new' style does not work, and if that's the guy we're going to be relying on in his next contract then I'd prefer someone else.

Either give me a PG that has a high motor, and will do whatever to win (even if he doesn't pass first) or go get another Jose. Don't turn a guy into someone that he's not.. it doesn't work unless they are rookies or HOF'ers that are extending their already remarkable careers.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Lowry is going to play balls out next season as he will be playing for a contract.

I don't think he's as good as I had hoped he would be at the beginning of the season and it was probably a combo of Casey and Bryan that forced him to change his style of game. However the 'new' style does not work, and if that's the guy we're going to be relying on in his next contract then I'd prefer someone else.

Either give me a PG that has a high motor, and will do whatever to win (even if he doesn't pass first) or go get another Jose. Don't turn a guy into someone that he's not.. it doesn't work unless they are rookies or HOF'ers that are extending their already remarkable careers.
    Great, great post.

Although when it comes to Casey and Bryan, I think it is all Casey. There were rumblings earlier this year that the coaching staff wanted to run with Calderon and front office wanted Lowry.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post

Exactly what I'm thinking. Our offensive approach is that we need a point guard to make reads - like a Boston Celtics approach with Rondo. The problem is, Lowry is NOT that type of point guard. When Rondo went down, the Celtics didn't designate Bradley to show his best Rondo impersonation. Rather, they changed their approach and spread it across the team.

Lowry is an attacking point guard who can make three's and can defend well enough. Play to your players' strengths, that's all I can say about it. Lawson isn't being asked to make reads, distribute, etc. It is up to Lowry, however, to get ready for a contract year by being in the best shape of his life come training camp.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    Exactly what I'm thinking. Our offensive approach is that we need a point guard to make reads - like a Boston Celtics approach with Rondo. The problem is, Lowry is NOT that type of point guard. When Rondo went down, the Celtics didn't designate Bradley to show his best Rondo impersonation. Rather, they changed their approach and spread it across the team.

Lowry is an attacking point guard who can make three's and can defend well enough. Play to your players' strengths, that's all I can say about it. Lawson isn't being asked to make reads, distribute, etc. It is up to Lowry, however, to get ready for a contract year by being in the best shape of his life come training camp.
    There it is. Hopefully a full off season under McKechnie's direction can yield dividends.

There are some great posts in this thread.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok.

Derrick Rose
    Rajon Rondo
    Chris Paul
    Deron Williams
    Steph Curry
    Jrue Holliday
    Jose Calderon
    Ty Lawson
    Eric Bledsoe
    Steve Nash
    Ricky Rubio
    Goran Dragic
    Kyrie Irving
    Brandon Jennings
    Mike Conley
    Greivis Vazquez
    John Wall
    Mike Conley
    Tony Parker
    Kemba Walker
    Russell Westbrook
    Jeff Teague
    Damian Lillard
    Tyreke Evans
    George Hill

um no he isnt hes only been on 2 teams Memphis and Houston and when he was in Houston starting they played much much better ball they would have made the playoffs if he didnt get injured last season, he just didnt get along with McHale so he was benched Dragic wasnt better than he was believe that bro they took a slide when Lowry went down.

Post Thanks / Like

White caps? You live in Vancouver? Like, the Soccer team?

Anyways, they might be solid right now, but they both had the question when drafted of "are they going to improve?" Remember, when we mostly all wanted Walker, there was a debate about him and Brandon Knight, because of the potential factor.
    Yep.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep.
    Well, how was the game Vancouver friend? lol

Post Thanks / Like

Bill Simmons on Lowry:

Kyle Lowry (Raptors): 2 years, $12 million
    Seems like a terrific price on paper, but it's worth mentioning that (a) Memphis and Houston abruptly gave up on him, and (b) Toronto quietly shopped him before dealing Jose Calderon instead. Translation: He's a pain in the ass. I thought his numbers would jump when they traded Calderon, but he just submitted his worst month of the year. Strange. Maybe he's properly paid?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information