Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Would Josh Smith be a good fit in T.?

Raptors Republic Starter Fuchan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    That simply does not happen anymore. There are no "nice" free agents out there who will sign on a team because it has a chance to get to contender status. They are either:

(a) Going after money
    (b) Going to a contender team
    (c) Going to a team they arranged with other players to go to, in order to become a contending team

As for (c), those arrangements involve superstars.

I've never been a guy who thought that Toronto can't lure big names, but the above is the trend of today's NBA.

I guess when Jose comes off the books, we'll go the money route

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That simply does not happen anymore. There are no "nice" free agents out there who will sign on a team because it has a chance to get to contender status. They are either:

(a) Going after money
    (b) Going to a contender team
    (c) Going to a team they arranged with other players to go to, in order to become a contending team

As for (c), those arrangements involve superstars.

I've never been a guy who thought that Toronto can't lure big names, but the above is the trend of today's NBA.
    I think this negates the influence of the new CBA. I most certainly have no idea what will happen but there are certainly going to be changes. There will be less BRI for players and less opportunities for tax teams to add talent. Maybe guys who have already made $100M plus in their career will sacrifice money but I'm not sure the guys coming off their rookie deal (~23-26) or guys unrestricted coming off their second deal (26-29) will be looking for veteran minimums just yet.

Also luxury tax teams are going to face a much larger penalty for their excess salary and this could lead to some pretty non-basketball trades coming down the pipe.

Anyways, this is all speculation on my part but I don't think the trends of the last few years will be easy to replicate moving forward UNLESS guys take significant pay cuts. Time will tell.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fuchan wrote: View Post
    I guess when Jose comes off the books, we'll go the money route
    Here's hoping anyway. I see more and more guys going after winning over money nowadays. Seriously, who was the last difference-making FA to choose money over winning?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's hoping anyway. I see more and more guys going after winning over money nowadays. Seriously, who was the last difference-making FA to choose money over winning?
    Turkoglu

Post Thanks / Like

There's a reason I added "difference-making", and I wasn't talking about Pizza Pizza stock prices.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Post Thanks / Like

"Yes coach"

Raptors Republic Starter Katman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Carmelo

Technically not a free agent but would have been before he forced a trade.

or Stoudamire

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Chandler left a championship team for NY because Cuban wouldn't give what he wanted.

Post Thanks / Like

Chandler was traded so he doesn't quite fit here.

Carmelo and Stoudemire fit scenario (c).

Players are definitely more choosey though, at least the good ones. And the flip side of it is the guys out there that are teamless, like Barbosa, Derek Fisher, Kenyon Martin, T-Mac, Redd. Granted some broken bodies mentioned there but a wealth of experience and some seriously useful skills that any team could use coming off the bench. But no one wants to pay them what they want. In the end they might each sign for the league minimum just so they can play next season.

For the Raptors, we'd be looking for one that fits the former level of play. Those are choosey ones that will likely take less money so they can play in a better environment or chance to win.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information