No announcement yet.

If Kemba Walker or Brandon Knight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually like Val on Cleveland because they're a team that could stand the wait. They lost Lebron and no one expected them to turn things around right away. Unlike the Raptors who have had 3-4 bad seasons prior to drafting Val, Cleveland had pressing needs at every position and could withstand drafting a player that might be 2-3 years away from being an effective NBA player. Tristan Thompson was a reach where they picked him.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
      I actually like Val on Cleveland because they're a team that could stand the wait. They lost Lebron and no one expected them to turn things around right away. Unlike the Raptors who have had 3-4 bad seasons prior to drafting Val, Cleveland had pressing needs at every position and could withstand drafting a player that might be 2-3 years away from being an effective NBA player. Tristan Thompson was a reach where they picked him.
      I am glad JV was picked over Knight or Kemba. A legit starting centre is the hardest thing to find in the NBA - with PG a distant 2nd.

Totally agree with Cleveland and JV. They would be looking extremely solid with an Irving/JV pairing moving forward. I do think they botched 2 of their 3 top 4 picks. Imagine Irving/JV/Barnes or Beal or MKG.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        I am glad JV was picked over Knight or Kemba. A legit starting centre is the hardest thing to find in the NBA - with PG a distant 2nd.

Totally agree with Cleveland and JV. They would be looking extremely solid with an Irving/JV pairing moving forward. I do think they botched 2 of their 3 top 4 picks. Imagine Irving/JV/Barnes or Beal or MKG.
        I agree a legit starting centre is definitely hard to find. Hopefully we keep looking and eventually find one. In the meantime JV will have to do since we've spent a high draft pick in him. Who knows, he may even pan out in few years.
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
          I agree a legit starting centre is definitely hard to find. Hopefully we keep looking and eventually find one. In the meantime JV will have to do since we've spent a high draft pick in him. Who knows, he may even pan out in few years.
          lol - oh ebrian. I think you should go full time Bobcats fan.

(jk)

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            What are you basing this on?

Every player you named beside Irving there has played zero NBA games.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
              What are you basing this on?

Every player you named beside Irving there has played zero NBA games.
              Good point. It is strictly 100% opinion and I very well could be wrong. But quick search of rationale in my head:

JV forte is the pick and roll as is Irving's.

C's are harder to come by than PF's.

I'm not sure how wise it is to have 2 undersized guards manning the backcourt who typically both need the ball to be effective.

I also should not have even mentioned Beal or MKG because they were gone when CLE picked last year.

TT and Waiters were both significant reaches in my opinion.

Comment

If the Bobcats were run slightly better than the Raptors were, I'd consider it. As it stands this is a team with no coaching and have been in rebuilding mode pretty much since they started the franchise.

C's will always be harder to come by than PF's, and they also historically take longer to develop. This is why I've always favored the idea of building that position via free agency or trades. Most of the other good teams follow the same approach, because when you're already a good team you don't have time to wait for the 3-5 years it takes for these guys to develop. Not to mention that after those 5 years, quite a few of those guys turned out to be a bust. Remember even after year 3 when we still thought Bargnani might start rebounding "this is the year, I can feel it! we have a new coach and everything!". Let someone else sit through those years of coaching and conditioning and when that player is ready, swoop in with an unbelievable deal or contract, winning culture, and just take him away. That's the way to do things.

I think what Matt is saying is that Cleveland's nucleus would look awesome if they had made those choices, but not necessarily guaranteeing a great team. I tend to agree with both sides.. if Cleveland had drafted JV, evne though he hasn't played a single game it would "look" good. You'd have some fans at least getting excited about their prospects. Very different situation over there than Toronto, because they actually enjoyed some success before their superstar went away.
                Last edited by ebrian; Tue Sep 25, 2012, 06:40 AM.
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

Working...
                X