National Post Q&A with Alex Rucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Post Q&A with Alex Rucker

It's a two part Q&A one is on the use of analytics in the NBA and the other on individual players

Part 1
    http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...istics-part-1/
    Q: Is there a specific slant to what the Raptors do analytically?
    “The two core pieces of analytically ideology are: one, what data do you have, and two, how do you use it or what are you looking to find [from] it? With respect to the data, I think there are massive discrepancies between NBA teams. And we are frankly at the leading edge of that. We’ve invested heavily in the SportVu camera system. We have a robust data collection process, whether it is coaches, interns or other people. I think that we are at the leading edge in terms of data that we hold. But I think that edge is a temporary one. I think it’s a matter of time before every team has the cameras and has the volume of data that we enjoy … I think that our team has some fairly clear identities. [Raptors coach Dwane Casey] has set a clear culture and points of emphasis as far as what we’re doing to do as a team. I’m not going to go anywhere near [mentioning] specific metrics or processes. But I think our focus has shifted over the last three years. We’re focused on what kind of team does Bryan want to assemble, and what kind of performance does Dwane want on the court …”
    Part 2
    http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...lex-rucker-on/
    Q: There was a lot of angst over the three-year, US$19-million contract given to Landry Fields. What supports being so aggressive with him?
    “I understand the controversy or criticism of him, and I think a huge amount of that was due to his sophomore season in the pros. Somebody mentioned to me the other day that if you swapped his first and second years, there would be no criticism at all. If you rewind 12 months and give him that deal after his rookie season, there is no criticism at all, and there probably would have been a lot of praise. However, that second year happened. I think we identified that the wing position was a need, and that there were specific things we wanted to upgrade. The two big ones were wing defence and perimeter shooting. Again, I know that Landry had this massive disparity between his exceptional first year of 39% three-point shooting to the significant decline last year to 26%. One of those numbers is great. One of those numbers is very poor. What do we get? Obviously we went after him and targeted him because we think we’re getting something closer to the rookie year in the mid-low 30s, which would give us a very valuable weapon on offence. And he is a very, very strong complementary player. You mentioned Andrea or Lowry as guys who are very effective with the ball. At a certain point, you do want to have guys like [Morris Peterson] or James Posey or Aaron Afflalo who are more effective in an off-ball, complementary role in offence. If you look at Landry’s rookie year in that role, he was exceptional. Last year, there was a decline across the board. You can look at why and how and when that happened and draw your own conclusions. …”
    Rucker gives a very good analysis on the individual players and how each on compliments the other and should help us be competitive. Also using Casey's defensive philosophy Rucker put emphasis on defensive analytics in all the players that we brought in this offseason. It really looks like were building a team that going to be really good in the coming years.

Was just about to post this. Well done. Rucker must be making the rounds. It's a good read. As more and more of these 2012/13 Raptor previews come out, maybe they could be in one thread (if we don't already have one). That said, nice to see that basketball talk is starting to brew again.

Comment

Here's a puff piece summation of what's in the two interviews:
      http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...r-an-nba-edge/

I am really pumped. Landry, JV, Fields and Ross were all selected based, to a large degree, on what their past stats indicated about them. And in particular their defensive stats. And they were selected with Andrea and DeMar in mind. These guys were picked because BC and Casey have a very good picture of what they want in a team. They think they have it now and it's a question of letting them gel for a couple of years.

Come on season. Let's get it on.

Comment

For the last three-plus years, Rucker and Keith Boyarsky, who run KBAR Consulting, a firm with a client list of one, have been supplying advanced statistical analysis for the Raptors.
        I have a hunch that KBAR stands for Keith Boyarsky Alex Rucker...
        TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
          I have a hunch that KBAR stands for Keith Boyarsky Alex Rucker...
          I have it from a reliable source that Alex Rucker is actually Multipaul and that KBAR stands for King Bargnani.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
            I have it from a reliable source that Alex Rucker is actually Multipaul and that KBAR stands for King Bargnani.
            Are you Chris Broussard?

TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Rucker is doing a lot of the speaking for the Raps of late. I like it.

Comment

I like this stuff too. Thanks for posting it.
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

Big up to Western!

Comment

Working...
                  X