Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Versatile frontcourt

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Queq'part
    Posts
    1,053
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Versatile frontcourt

    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cm6vb78

    Raptors trade Jose Calderon & Ed Davis to Utah for Paul Millsap and Earl Watson.

    In a perfect world, I would love the Raptors to keep Jose Calderon. If not, we still need another good scoring option, and at best it would be a forward. By adding Millsap to the team, Raptors could use a lot of combinations upfront. They could use a typical 5 guy upfront (Gray, JV) with Bargs and Millsap as the forwards. They could also use Bargs a the 5 spot with Millsap and DeRozan on the wings, etc...

    Also, that is a realistic trade for Utah since they are stuck upfront and they need another PG.

    Valanciunas/Gray/Magloire
    Bargnani/Johnson/McGuire/Acy
    Millsap/Kleiza/Anderson/Wright
    DeRozan/Fields/Ross/McNeal
    Lowry/Watson/Lucas

    Magloire, McGuire, Acy, Anderson, Wright and McNeal are fighting for the last roster spots.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    no way this happens. Milsaps value is much higher than Jose+ED.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Queq'part
    Posts
    1,053
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well, I'm not sure about it. Jazz NEED another good PG if they want to succeed. And Derrick Favors is a rising star who's just waiting to get his chance in the starting 5.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,800
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Not gonna happen. Millsap's contract expires after this season and he's expected probably to get a massive payday next season! I know that they have to get rid of either him or Al Jefferson, but Utah can EASILY get a better deal than Calderon and Davis!

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    837
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/showthread.php?8567

    With some differences, I had posted this Trade.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    837
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cm6vb78

    Raptors trade Jose Calderon & Ed Davis to Utah for Paul Millsap and Earl Watson.

    In a perfect world, I would love the Raptors to keep Jose Calderon. If not, we still need another good scoring option, and at best it would be a forward. By adding Millsap to the team, Raptors could use a lot of combinations upfront. They could use a typical 5 guy upfront (Gray, JV) with Bargs and Millsap as the forwards. They could also use Bargs a the 5 spot with Millsap and DeRozan on the wings, etc...

    Also, that is a realistic trade for Utah since they are stuck upfront and they need another PG.

    Valanciunas/Gray/Magloire
    Bargnani/Johnson/McGuire/Acy
    Millsap/Kleiza/Anderson/Wright
    DeRozan/Fields/Ross/McNeal
    Lowry/Watson/Lucas

    Magloire, McGuire, Acy, Anderson, Wright and McNeal are fighting for the last roster spots.
    Having posted one very similar to this(as above), of-course I'm going to support this Trade. After reviewing responses to my Trade, I realised that adding a future 1st rounder may be do a little more justice for Utah.

    Would like to mention though that there seems to be a tendency for RR members to take an overly critical view of Trade proposals. Let's not forget that some of our own players carry a lot of value too. There seems to be a tendency to undervalue our own players and overvalue players of other teams.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I grew up a Jazz fan, before the Raps existed, and I've still got a strong rooting interest--they're my "1a" team after the Raptors. That said, if I were Dennis Lindsey I'd probably pull the trigger on this trade, especially if there's a pick included. Love Millsap, but he's expensive this year and we're going to lose him anyway, plus we need to make room for more minutes for Favors and give Kanter a chance to see if he can develop into anything decent.

    Ed Davis is looking like a solid career backup PF/C, and he's relatively cheap (plus, maybe he could be flipped for somebody else to fill out our wing rotation). Jose gives me a legit point guard who will make low risk plays and feed Big Al and Gordon Hayward, and his defensive shortcomings are less debilitating because Favors is turning into one of the best young defensive presences in the league. It would also let me slide Mo Williams over to the 2 guard for stretches, and a lineup of Big Al, Favors, Hayward, Mo, and Jose would be very potent offensively and at least middling defensively.

    Gotta say, I'm used to trade proposals that massively overvalue Raptors players, that no opposing GM or fan could bite on, but I find this one to be thoroughly realistic from the Jazz's point of view.

    But I'm not sure I like it for Toronto. For all his sneaky skills on offense, Millsap's a bad defender. Don't think he'd fit too well into Coach's system. And Earl Watson's alright, but he's like a poor man's Derek Fisher. Except that Derek Fisher is already a poor man's point guard.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    837
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tkfu wrote: View Post
    I grew up a Jazz fan, before the Raps existed, and I've still got a strong rooting interest--they're my "1a" team after the Raptors. That said, if I were Dennis Lindsey I'd probably pull the trigger on this trade, especially if there's a pick included. Love Millsap, but he's expensive this year and we're going to lose him anyway, plus we need to make room for more minutes for Favors and give Kanter a chance to see if he can develop into anything decent.

    Ed Davis is looking like a solid career backup PF/C, and he's relatively cheap (plus, maybe he could be flipped for somebody else to fill out our wing rotation). Jose gives me a legit point guard who will make low risk plays and feed Big Al and Gordon Hayward, and his defensive shortcomings are less debilitating because Favors is turning into one of the best young defensive presences in the league. It would also let me slide Mo Williams over to the 2 guard for stretches, and a lineup of Big Al, Favors, Hayward, Mo, and Jose would be very potent offensively and at least middling defensively.

    d to trade proposals that massively overvalue Raptors players, that no opposing GM or fan could bite on, but I find this one to be thoroughly realistGotta say, I'm useic from the Jazz's point of view.

    But I'm not sure I like it for Toronto. For all his sneaky skills on offense, Millsap's a bad defender. Don't think he'd fit too well into Coach's system. And Earl Watson's alright, but he's like a poor man's Derek Fisher. Except that Derek Fisher is already a poor man's point guard.
    Agree that Trade proposals overvalue Raptors players. Responders to proposals though, do the opposite.

    Millsap is not known for his defence but Casey has disproved the false notion that defence can't be taught. Moving from the basement to a respectable defensive number, proves that. Watson I agree is a poor man's D Fisher which should suffice for a year.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post

    Agree that Trade proposals overvalue Raptors players. Responders to proposals though, do the opposite.

    Millsap is not known for his defence but Casey has disproved the false notion that defence can't be taught. Moving from the basement to a respectable defensive number, proves that. Watson I agree is a poor man's D Fisher which should suffice for a year.
    Fair enough. Still, not sure I love the idea of a one year rental, and I don't trust Colangelo not to overpay next summer and give Millsap something like 4 years/$45 million, thus killing all our flexibility going forward.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    837
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tkfu wrote: View Post
    Fair enough. Still, not sure I love the idea of a one year rental, and I don't trust Colangelo not to overpay next summer and give Millsap something like 4 years/$45 million, thus killing all our flexibility going forward.
    I wouldn't trade for him if he's only a rental. I mentioned in my trade proposal that Toronto should make the trade only if Millsap signs an extension. If he agrees to an extension, 4 years/45 million is worth it even if it kills our flexibility. Hypothetically speaking, if Raptors retained Calderon, have the flexibility in the off-season because of his expiring Contract and use it on signing Millsap, it would be viewed by many as a good acquisition. Yes Davis and a draft pick or two are being sacrificed in the case of a trade but to beat out competition in a FA market it's a small price to pay.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default milsap trade

    I actually think the trade is fair, just don't think it is worth doing from Raps perspective at least. If we are going to trade Calderon and one of our 4s, need to focus on upgrading the wing, preferably SF, in return.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    Raptors trade Jose Calderon & Ed Davis to Utah for Paul Millsap and Earl Watson.

    Also, that is a realistic trade for Utah since they are stuck upfront and they need another PG.
    While the Jazz do need a PG, they will not be in contention this year. Trading Millsap for Calderon does not make sense to me as the point guard situation would need to be addressed again next year.

    Ed Davis would be the fourth big in Utah as Al Jefferson, Derrick Favors, and Enes Kanter are better or more talented than he is. His inclusion in the trade may make the trade more attractive to Utah but I have no doubt Utah prefer Kanter and Favors as long-term starters.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •