Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Versatile frontcourt

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cm6vb78

Raptors trade Jose Calderon & Ed Davis to Utah for Paul Millsap and Earl Watson.

In a perfect world, I would love the Raptors to keep Jose Calderon. If not, we still need another good scoring option, and at best it would be a forward. By adding Millsap to the team, Raptors could use a lot of combinations upfront. They could use a typical 5 guy upfront (Gray, JV) with Bargs and Millsap as the forwards. They could also use Bargs a the 5 spot with Millsap and DeRozan on the wings, etc...

Also, that is a realistic trade for Utah since they are stuck upfront and they need another PG.

Valanciunas/Gray/Magloire
    Bargnani/Johnson/McGuire/Acy
    Millsap/Kleiza/Anderson/Wright
    DeRozan/Fields/Ross/McNeal
    Lowry/Watson/Lucas

Magloire, McGuire, Acy, Anderson, Wright and McNeal are fighting for the last roster spots.

…… no way this happens. Milsaps value is much higher than Jose+ED.

Comment

Well, I'm not sure about it. Jazz NEED another good PG if they want to succeed. And Derrick Favors is a rising star who's just waiting to get his chance in the starting 5.

Comment

Not gonna happen. Millsap's contract expires after this season and he's expected probably to get a massive payday next season! I know that they have to get rid of either him or Al Jefferson, but Utah can EASILY get a better deal than Calderon and Davis!

Comment

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/showthread.php?8567

With some differences, I had posted this Trade.
          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
            http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cm6vb78

Raptors trade Jose Calderon & Ed Davis to Utah for Paul Millsap and Earl Watson.

In a perfect world, I would love the Raptors to keep Jose Calderon. If not, we still need another good scoring option, and at best it would be a forward. By adding Millsap to the team, Raptors could use a lot of combinations upfront. They could use a typical 5 guy upfront (Gray, JV) with Bargs and Millsap as the forwards. They could also use Bargs a the 5 spot with Millsap and DeRozan on the wings, etc...

Also, that is a realistic trade for Utah since they are stuck upfront and they need another PG.

Valanciunas/Gray/Magloire
            Bargnani/Johnson/McGuire/Acy
            Millsap/Kleiza/Anderson/Wright
            DeRozan/Fields/Ross/McNeal
            Lowry/Watson/Lucas

Magloire, McGuire, Acy, Anderson, Wright and McNeal are fighting for the last roster spots.
            Having posted one very similar to this(as above), of-course I'm going to support this Trade. After reviewing responses to my Trade, I realised that adding a future 1st rounder may be do a little more justice for Utah.

Would like to mention though that there seems to be a tendency for RR members to take an overly critical view of Trade proposals. Let's not forget that some of our own players carry a lot of value too. There seems to be a tendency to undervalue our own players and overvalue players of other teams.
            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

I grew up a Jazz fan, before the Raps existed, and I've still got a strong rooting interest--they're my "1a" team after the Raptors. That said, if I were Dennis Lindsey I'd probably pull the trigger on this trade, especially if there's a pick included. Love Millsap, but he's expensive this year and we're going to lose him anyway, plus we need to make room for more minutes for Favors and give Kanter a chance to see if he can develop into anything decent.

Ed Davis is looking like a solid career backup PF/C, and he's relatively cheap (plus, maybe he could be flipped for somebody else to fill out our wing rotation). Jose gives me a legit point guard who will make low risk plays and feed Big Al and Gordon Hayward, and his defensive shortcomings are less debilitating because Favors is turning into one of the best young defensive presences in the league. It would also let me slide Mo Williams over to the 2 guard for stretches, and a lineup of Big Al, Favors, Hayward, Mo, and Jose would be very potent offensively and at least middling defensively.

Gotta say, I'm used to trade proposals that massively overvalue Raptors players, that no opposing GM or fan could bite on, but I find this one to be thoroughly realistic from the Jazz's point of view.

But I'm not sure I like it for Toronto. For all his sneaky skills on offense, Millsap's a bad defender. Don't think he'd fit too well into Coach's system. And Earl Watson's alright, but he's like a poor man's Derek Fisher. Except that Derek Fisher is already a poor man's point guard.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post

While the Jazz do need a PG, they will not be in contention this year. Trading Millsap for Calderon does not make sense to me as the point guard situation would need to be addressed again next year.

Ed Davis would be the fourth big in Utah as Al Jefferson, Derrick Favors, and Enes Kanter are better or more talented than he is. His inclusion in the trade may make the trade more attractive to Utah but I have no doubt Utah prefer Kanter and Favors as long-term starters.

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
                  I grew up a Jazz fan, before the Raps existed, and I've still got a strong rooting interest--they're my "1a" team after the Raptors. That said, if I were Dennis Lindsey I'd probably pull the trigger on this trade, especially if there's a pick included. Love Millsap, but he's expensive this year and we're going to lose him anyway, plus we need to make room for more minutes for Favors and give Kanter a chance to see if he can develop into anything decent.

Ed Davis is looking like a solid career backup PF/C, and he's relatively cheap (plus, maybe he could be flipped for somebody else to fill out our wing rotation). Jose gives me a legit point guard who will make low risk plays and feed Big Al and Gordon Hayward, and his defensive shortcomings are less debilitating because Favors is turning into one of the best young defensive presences in the league. It would also let me slide Mo Williams over to the 2 guard for stretches, and a lineup of Big Al, Favors, Hayward, Mo, and Jose would be very potent offensively and at least middling defensively.

d to trade proposals that massively overvalue Raptors players, that no opposing GM or fan could bite on, but I find this one to be thoroughly realistGotta say, I'm useic from the Jazz's point of view.

But I'm not sure I like it for Toronto. For all his sneaky skills on offense, Millsap's a bad defender. Don't think he'd fit too well into Coach's system. And Earl Watson's alright, but he's like a poor man's Derek Fisher. Except that Derek Fisher is already a poor man's point guard.
                  Agree that Trade proposals overvalue Raptors players. Responders to proposals though, do the opposite.

Millsap is not known for his defence but Casey has disproved the false notion that defence can't be taught. Moving from the basement to a respectable defensive number, proves that. Watson I agree is a poor man's D Fisher which should suffice for a year.
                  Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post

Agree that Trade proposals overvalue Raptors players. Responders to proposals though, do the opposite.

Millsap is not known for his defence but Casey has disproved the false notion that defence can't be taught. Moving from the basement to a respectable defensive number, proves that. Watson I agree is a poor man's D Fisher which should suffice for a year.
                    Fair enough. Still, not sure I love the idea of a one year rental, and I don't trust Colangelo not to overpay next summer and give Millsap something like 4 years/$45 million, thus killing all our flexibility going forward.

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
                      Fair enough. Still, not sure I love the idea of a one year rental, and I don't trust Colangelo not to overpay next summer and give Millsap something like 4 years/$45 million, thus killing all our flexibility going forward.
                      I wouldn't trade for him if he's only a rental. I mentioned in my trade proposal that Toronto should make the trade only if Millsap signs an extension. If he agrees to an extension, 4 years/45 million is worth it even if it kills our flexibility. Hypothetically speaking, if Raptors retained Calderon, have the flexibility in the off-season because of his expiring Contract and use it on signing Millsap, it would be viewed by many as a good acquisition. Yes Davis and a draft pick or two are being sacrificed in the case of a trade but to beat out competition in a FA market it's a small price to pay.
                      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

milsap trade

I actually think the trade is fair, just don't think it is worth doing from Raps perspective at least. If we are going to trade Calderon and one of our 4s, need to focus on upgrading the wing, preferably SF, in return.

Comment

Working...
                        X