No announcement yet.

Vince Carter body slammed Sam Mitchell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, Anyone who isn't listening to Jalen and Jacoby giving the people what they want every week on the Jalen Rose Show from Grantland is sorely missing out. Always was a Jalen fan but since I found this about a year ago it's gone to a whole new level. Funny as hell, talks about all kinds of things candidly (the 81 pts, how shit Smitch was, stepping under Kobe, Fab Five days, player trades...) that you never hear guys be so frank about. So refreshing in this day and age of "brand" protection and prewritten soundbites.

Gotta check it out, if just for the stories about Champagnin' and Campaignin', Imports and The Mansion. Only thing he's not touched on so far is Skip.
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

What I find interesting about this thread is that everyone is bashing Sam, but no one has mentioned that he was probably in the right for calling VC out for being a pussy. I agree that you probably shouldn't get in to fist fights with your team, but after reading all the shit that you guys have posted on here about VC quiting on the team etc. I would have thought that someone would have applauded Mitchell for being right.

It is clear that Mitchell had limited talent and skills on the court, but he was all heart and hustle and that is how he survived in the NBA. How do you think he felt seeing a kid who was all talent and no heart wasting his abilities, quiting on his team, faking injuries to avoid playing etc. I don't remember VC's "jumper's knee" recurring after Toronto.

Just my take on it.

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
        Man, Anyone who isn't listening to Jalen and Jacoby giving the people what they want every week on the Jalen Rose Show from Grantland is sorely missing out. Always was a Jalen fan but since I found this about a year ago it's gone to a whole new level. Funny as hell, talks about all kinds of things candidly (the 81 pts, how shit Smitch was, stepping under Kobe, Fab Five days, player trades...) that you never hear guys be so frank about. So refreshing in this day and age of "brand" protection and prewritten soundbites.

Gotta check it out, if just for the stories about Champagnin' and Campaignin', Imports and The Mansion. Only thing he's not touched on so far is Skip.
        They had a Skip story about 6 months ago, where he told the story about how Skip tried to freeze him and Mo out in the first half, and got told at half that if he didn't start passing, he was gonna spend the second half riding the pine. I believe this is also the game where Rafer threatened to retire afterward.

Yeah, been listening since the original podcast. Good stuff.

Comment

" Michelle Carter also spoke with reporters in New Jersey after the Spurs-Nets game.

"I did not say it was a fight," she said. "I want to clarify that. I wasn't there, I'm just going by what Sam Mitchell said and what Vince Carter told me." "

Is it strange that his mom calls him Vince Carter?

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
            Sorry, have to call you out. Everything you said about Smitch is fiction created in your head. Let's look at facts.

1 This player with a huge ego gave up his starting position so that a High School kid could start over him. To this day while working on NBA TV and radio he admits that he was a mediocre player. I think you're confusing volume with ego.

2 The best "Euro" team the Raps have had was coached by Smitch. Matter of fact, if you followed Euroleague you would know that most of the teams have coaches closer to him than your standard "player's coach" that you find in the NBA. If anything, Bargs should be used to even louder coaches.

3 The biggest thing that hurt Bargs development was the false pretense that he was a Center. No matter what the coach thinks, if the people above tell him to play him as a 5 that's what the coach has to do. Bargs never was a 5. We needed a 5. We drafted a 4, and then tried to sell him as a 5 to please naive fans. It didn't work,and our best player took his talents.....

Let me make this clear, in no way do I believe that Sam Mitchell should be coaching. But character assassination to feed your ego is just as reprehensible as some of the technical, personnel, and clock management mistakes the man consistently made.
            +1

Tell it like it is.

The litany of excuses for #7 continues!

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
              yeah, damn sports mentality! Makes ya wonder about the excuses for American rookies. They're already used to travel in the NCAA, have been speaking the language of choice all their lives, and yet so few do their job well when they come into the league. I don't understand why they're given so much time to get up to speed when they have no adjustments to make.
              Perhaps. But most of these American rooks don't take 7 years to get acclimated into the league.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
                Perhaps. But most of these American rooks don't take 7 years to get acclimated into the league.
                It didn't take Gallinari 7 years either. Andrea is just special.
                He's our special little guy.

I'm gonna go drink

Comment

Damn I missed that one. Time to go diggin in the eCrates
                  LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

CT2010 wrote: View Post
                    What I find interesting about this thread is that everyone is bashing Sam, but no one has mentioned that he was probably in the right for calling VC out for being a pussy. I agree that you probably shouldn't get in to fist fights with your team, but after reading all the shit that you guys have posted on here about VC quiting on the team etc. I would have thought that someone would have applauded Mitchell for being right.

It is clear that Mitchell had limited talent and skills on the court, but he was all heart and hustle and that is how he survived in the NBA. How do you think he felt seeing a kid who was all talent and no heart wasting his abilities, quiting on his team, faking injuries to avoid playing etc. I don't remember VC's "jumper's knee" recurring after Toronto.

Just my take on it.
                    i was just thinking the same thing..

VC was always hurt & in the last season here clearly mailed it in most games he did play... to bad Smitch couldnt back up the talk though... it would have been nice to see Smitch Slam VC into the trainers table instead...VC his whole carreer has been the type to need an extra kick in the ass to play hard... ask Oakley!...VC is a douche
                    imagine how many nights VC would have mailed it in if Triano was the head coach back then! LOL that would have been scary to see
                    Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Tue Sep 25, 2012, 01:26 PM.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
                      +1

Tell it like it is.

The litany of excuses for #7 continues!
                      you might have a point,,,,,,, if anyone was making excuses

Comment

Couldnt agree more. Havent missed a BS report since they started ... but Jalen and Jacoby are a damn close second ... hes classic .. and super relevant about all kinds of shit .. bball, football, pop culture, you name it. Everyone should be listening ...

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                          i was just thinking the same thing..

VC was always hurt & in the last season here clearly mailed it in most games he did play... to bad Smitch couldnt back up the talk though... it would have been nice to see Smitch Slam VC into the trainers table instead...VC his whole carreer has been the type to need an extra kick in the ass to play hard... ask Oakley!...VC is a douche
                          imagine how many nights VC would have mailed it in if Triano was the head coach back then! LOL that would have been scary to see
                          I once heard someone, think it was AD or Oakley, someone from the team, anyway, they said VC was the strongest guy on the team and it wasn't even close. The bigs would be grinding away, pumping iron and Vince could walk in, pick up the heaviest set and match whatever anyone else was doing without breaking a sweat. He was so naturally gifted and never really ever had to work hard. I'm paraphrasing the shit out of this but we all know that his lazy attitude caught up to him eventually. At anyrate he'd take Smitch in a heartbeat, jumpers knee and all.
                          LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

I once heard someone, think it was AD or Oakley, someone from the team, anyway, they said VC was the strongest guy on the team and it wasn't even close. The bigs would be grinding away, pumping iron and Vince could walk in, pick up the heaviest set and match whatever anyone else was doing without breaking a sweat. He was so naturally gifted and never really ever had to work hard. I'm paraphrasing the shit out of this but we all know that his lazy attitude caught up to him eventually. At anyrate he'd take Smitch in a heartbeat, jumpers knee and all.
                            That's really interesting to hear. I hadn't heard this before. Never looked strong, little muscle bulk etc. I always thought he just didn't do the work required to get strong.

Comment

I don't understand.....people think Smitch was a bad coach? Unfortunately, we had one of our most successful years with him.

Why does everyone think he was so bad (besides the fact that he was blatantly out coached by Lawrence Frank in that playoff series, and then again the next year against orlando.....

Comment

The one thing that pissed me off about Smitch's reign of terror was the 81 pts by Kobe. I mean geez man, send an automatic double-team already. Make Kobe give up the ball rather than letting him embarrass a franchise in the record books (you'd think this idea would've crossed Smitch's mind after Kobe reached the 60 point mark). Who cares if it leaves a Laker player wide open? Midway through the 4th quarter, the game was over anyway.

At that late stage in the game, the Raptors weren't playing for a win, they were playing for their dignity....and lost both (the latter thanks to Smitch's inability to adjust).

Comment

Working...
                                X