No announcement yet.

Vince Carter body slammed Sam Mitchell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vince Carter body slammed Sam Mitchell?

Jalen Rose breaks it down...

Quite possibly the greatest video ever created!!!

Comment

Holy crap - I always thought Sam Mitchell was the type of coach that would have his players angry enough to fight him - guess I was right

Comment

I love the part where the players all laughed at Sam when he was on the floor.

Comment

It is awesome to hear the story but I thought this was well known.

Comment

Now Imagine this fool in the locker room with a young passive 20 year old european still grasping english who doesn't rebound...oh and is 7 feet. No wonder Andrea was stagnant his first two seasons. Was probably afraid to get a choke slam through a medics table, or a chair to the back at practice.

Mitchell had a huge ego, he was a former player who acted as if he was hall of fame material in his day and always seemed to have this " I know something you don't know" demeanor about basketball.

Comment

It worked with KG, so he assumed it would work with everyone else.

Amazing video, can't wait for more of these.

Comment

Sheptor wrote: View Post
                Now Imagine this fool in the locker room with a young passive 20 year old european still grasping english who doesn't rebound...oh and is 7 feet. No wonder Andrea was stagnant his first two seasons. Was probably afraid to get a choke slam through a medics table, or a chair to the back at practice.

Mitchell had a huge ego, he was a former player who acted as if he was hall of fame material in his day and always seemed to have this " I know something you don't know" demeanor about basketball.
                Sorry, have to call you out. Everything you said about Smitch is fiction created in your head. Let's look at facts.

1 This player with a huge ego gave up his starting position so that a High School kid could start over him. To this day while working on NBA TV and radio he admits that he was a mediocre player. I think you're confusing volume with ego.

2 The best "Euro" team the Raps have had was coached by Smitch. Matter of fact, if you followed Euroleague you would know that most of the teams have coaches closer to him than your standard "player's coach" that you find in the NBA. If anything, Bargs should be used to even louder coaches.

3 The biggest thing that hurt Bargs development was the false pretense that he was a Center. No matter what the coach thinks, if the people above tell him to play him as a 5 that's what the coach has to do. Bargs never was a 5. We needed a 5. We drafted a 4, and then tried to sell him as a 5 to please naive fans. It didn't work,and our best player took his talents.....

Let me make this clear, in no way do I believe that Sam Mitchell should be coaching. But character assassination to feed your ego is just as reprehensible as some of the technical, personnel, and clock management mistakes the man consistently made.

Comment

A couple great Jalen Rose takes on Vince:

"He probably was a little tired from All-Star Weekend. While he was running up and down the court throwing it off the backboard, I was laying on the beach drinking a fruity drink with an umbrella. So I probably gave myself an unfair advantage on that one."
                  Explaining why he outplayed Carter two days after the All-Star Game.

And

"I'm a GM in fantasy basketball and I'm a GM on PlayStation, so on PlayStation I probably would have got a little more, but this is real life, so I don’t know."
                  On the Vince Carter trade.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                    Sorry, have to call you out. Everything you said about Smitch is fiction created in your head. Let's look at facts.

1 This player with a huge ego gave up his starting position so that a High School kid could start over him. To this day while working on NBA TV and radio he admits that he was a mediocre player. I think you're confusing volume with ego.

2 The best "Euro" team the Raps have had was coached by Smitch. Matter of fact, if you followed Euroleague you would know that most of the teams have coaches closer to him than your standard "player's coach" that you find in the NBA. If anything, Bargs should be used to even louder coaches.

3 The biggest thing that hurt Bargs development was the false pretense that he was a Center. No matter what the coach thinks, if the people above tell him to play him as a 5 that's what the coach has to do. Bargs never was a 5. We needed a 5. We drafted a 4, and then tried to sell him as a 5 to please naive fans. It didn't work,and our best player took his talents.....

Let me make this clear, in no way do I believe that Sam Mitchell should be coaching. But character assassination to feed your ego is just as reprehensible as some of the technical, personnel, and clock management mistakes the man consistently made.
                    He gave up his starting position to KG..might have been unknown at the time but he turned out to be KG. Smitch did walk around with an ego, how can you say he didn't? He may have been humble once you got to know him but to the fanbase he came off as arrogant and his way or no way because he again "knows something we don't". He got fired after an 8-9 start. WE had high expectations that year but a firing after an 8-9 start suggests he wasn't liked after a while. In no way do I give Smitch credit for our atlantic division winning team. Bosh was a beast and Parker and Garbs were amazing that year as well. TOTAL TEAM effort, the same I'm hoping for this year. Problem was we came from obscurity one season to a year with a bunch of unknown euros and won the division so "oh, must have been the coachin".

The NBA is leaps and bounds better than any other league. Coming over as a number one pick learning a language and figuring out the NBA like Andrea did is not easy. It is one thing to get yelled at from a coach in your own country where you are acclimated and probably feel you belong but to leave home and do it in the NBA with all the other factors is difficult. Having Mitchell as coach DID NOT HELP PERIOD.

I agree about playing centre.

Comment

I guess we'll have to wait till Vince, or Bosh retire to find out who's right. Or maybe Rose will talk about whether Smitch was a big ego guy. He definitely wasn't a BCo guy. Clearly Triano couldn't have done what he did. However, none of this stops me from believing that technically Smitch was a flawed coach, just not a supporter of the ego thing.

I swear sports must be the only place where you are given reprieve for being an immigrant. If you come over here via a foreign workers permit I suspect no one will accept the idea that since you're from a different country you have an excuse to not do your job well. Bargs played in the Euroleague, he was used to travel, having teammates who spoke different languages, etc., If he was coming out of the Chinese pro league, or a South American pro league I would accept that premise, but playing in the Euroleague -- different story.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                        I guess we'll have to wait till Vince, or Bosh retire to find out who's right. Or maybe Rose will talk about whether Smitch was a big ego guy. He definitely wasn't a BCo guy. Clearly Triano couldn't have done what he did. However, none of this stops me from believing that technically Smitch was a flawed coach, just not a supporter of the ego thing.

I swear sports must be the only place where you are given reprieve for being an immigrant. If you come over here via a foreign workers permit I suspect no one will accept the idea that since you're from a different country you have an excuse to not do your job well. Bargs played in the Euroleague, he was used to travel, having teammates who spoke different languages, etc., If he was coming out of the Chinese pro league, or a South American pro league I would accept that premise, but playing in the Euroleague -- different story.
                        +1

I think that is why he has yet to be rumoured as a finalist for any head coaching gig and why he only lasted 1 year with Avery Johnson in NJ.... pure speculation and opinion on my part it should be noted.

Comment

If Smich was or is such a good coach - then why doesn't he have a job other than as an NBATV Analyst - KEVIN O'NEIL is a head coach in college

Comment

Why is this even a question did it happen?! of course it happened.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1989670

I really wanted to know what he said to Rafer.

Comment

MyTEAM4Life wrote: View Post
                              If Smich was or is such a good coach - then why doesn't he have a job other than as an NBATV Analyst - KEVIN O'NEIL is a head coach in college
                              Does Smitch even want to coach? After all, Phil Jackson is unemployed too (by choice).

Comment

Working...
                              X