Vince Carter body slammed Sam Mitchell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    I don't understand.....people think Smitch was a bad coach? Unfortunately, we had one of our most successful years with him.

Why does everyone think he was so bad (besides the fact that he was blatantly out coached by Lawrence Frank in that playoff series, and then again the next year against orlando.....
    He could yell but he didn't really understand how to manage a game, no strategies, barely any real plays, few if any adjustments, and probably the worst in-bound play success rate in the league.

His style works for a year or two because young players get scared and fall in line, but you can only get yelled at for so long before you stop caring.

To very poorly paraphrase Machiavelli, people do more for a leader they respect than a leader they fear.

Comment

I had always thought it was the other way around. That's a game changer right there. Sam got rocked by a guy who falls to the ground in pain after getting hit by a strong breeze.

I guess next Jalen is gonna tell me that Skip round housed Sam through a wall or something and totally shatter my image of The Smitch.

Letter N wrote: View Post
      He could yell but he didn't really understand how to manage a game, no strategies, barely any real plays, few if any adjustments, and probably the worst in-bound play success rate in the league.

His style works for a year or two because young players get scared and fall in line, but you can only get yelled at for so long before you stop caring.

To very poorly paraphrase Machiavelli, people do more for a leader they respect than a leader they fear.
      Sorry but your whole argument is made of Swiss cheese. To paraphrase what you said: Sam Mitchell was a horrible coach who could do nothing right and the only reason he was successful for two years with the Raptors was because he scared some young men into committing to his horrible system.

... Do you see anything wrong with what you just said?

... Not to mention two of the key guys during those couple years were both vets who just got of the plane from Europe.

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      The one thing that pissed me off about Smitch's reign of terror was the 81 pts by Kobe. I mean geez man, send an automatic double-team already. Make Kobe give up the ball rather than letting him embarrass a franchise in the record books (you'd think this idea would've crossed Smitch's mind after Kobe reached the 60 point mark). Who cares if it leaves a Laker player wide open? Midway through the 4th quarter, the game was over anyway.

At that late stage in the game, the Raptors weren't playing for a win, they were playing for their dignity....and lost both (the latter thanks to Smitch's inability to adjust).
      They did send double teams. Nothing worked. The teams was made up primarily of bad defenders and Sam apparently wasn't that good at teaching the one thing that allowed him to stay in the league as a player.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        Sorry but your whole argument is made of Swiss cheese. To paraphrase what you said: Sam Mitchell was a horrible coach who could do nothing right and the only reason he was successful for two years with the Raptors was because he scared some young men into committing to his horrible system.

... Do you see anything wrong with what you just said?

... Not to mention two of the key guys during those couple years were both vets who just got of the plane from Europe.
        A teacher can get a kid to sit down by yelling at him, but that doesn't make them a good teacher. And sooner or later all that yelling becomes nothing but noise and the millionaire kid does whatever the fuck he wants because he's tired of getting yelled at.

Comment

Since this thread is talking about Vince, I'll just mention that I got a phone call from my daughter who's in Florida right now with her husband, and she says that Vince Carters restaurant is one of the best she's ever been to.

She noticed the style and arrangements inside so she asked the waiter or manager or someone, 'Did Michelle have a lot to do with the design and layout in here?" Turns out she did and basically runs the place for Vince. So the manager said, "Where do you know Michelle from?" I guess everybody that eats there knows Vince, but no one knows about or remembers Michelle. Anyway, she got a laugh out of it.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
            Since this thread is talking about Vince, I'll just mention that I got a phone call from my daughter who's in Florida right now with her husband, and she says that Vince Carters restaurant is one of the best she's ever been to.

She noticed the style and arrangements inside so she asked the waiter or manager or someone, 'Did Michelle have a lot to do with the design and layout in here?" Turns out she did and basically runs the place for Vince. So the manager said, "Where do you know Michelle from?" I guess everybody that eats there knows Vince, but no one knows about or remembers Michelle. Anyway, she got a laugh out of it.
            I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it was actually Michelle who won the 2000 dunk contest.

Comment

I haven't read through this thread, but I just watched this video and the Kobe 81 video. These out of school stories from Jalen are really making me ashamed to be a Raps fan. He paints us as such a dyfunctional organization. He drops in little tidbits regarding the treatment of Vince that I think shed some light on why players don't want to come here. I give BC a lot of crap, but I hope he's at least changed some things behind the scenes. Lawd have mercy on us.

Comment

NoBan wrote: View Post
                I haven't read through this thread, but I just watched this video and the Kobe 81 video. These out of school stories from Jalen are really making me ashamed to be a Raps fan. He paints us as such a dyfunctional organization. He drops in little tidbits regarding the treatment of Vince that I think shed some light on why players don't want to come here. I give BC a lot of crap, but I hope he's at least changed some things behind the scenes. Lawd have mercy on us.
                I am one of the few people on here that is opposed to the merciless booing of Carter (and others), primarily because it only feeds his ego and motivates him to beat us, while showing him that the fans still care. I'd rather just treat him with complete indifference.

Having said that, I think fans are justified in their negative treatment of Carter, specifically. I don't think most fans care that he left, but rather the way he left and the fact he quit on the team long before he left. I had a bitter taste in my mouth the moment he went to his university grad the same day as the game 7 playoff game against the 76ers. I value an education, but that showed me that Vince Carter cared about nobody but Vince Carter, putting his own selfish needs ahead of what was in the best interest of the team, the franchise and its fans.

I don't think Vince Carter is deserving of any sort of apology. If anything, he owes the Toronto Raptors organization, his teammates and the fans an apology.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  I am one of the few people on here that is opposed to the merciless booing of Carter (and others), primarily because it only feeds his ego and motivates him to beat us, while showing him that the fans still care. I'd rather just treat him with complete indifference.

Having said that, I think fans are justified in their negative treatment of Carter, specifically. I don't think most fans care that he left, but rather the way he left and the fact he quit on the team long before he left. I had a bitter taste in my mouth the moment he went to his university grad the same day as the game 7 playoff game against the 76ers. I value an education, but that showed me that Vince Carter cared about nobody but Vince Carter, putting his own selfish needs ahead of what was in the best interest of the team, the franchise and its fans.

I don't think Vince Carter is deserving of any sort of apology. If anything, he owes the Toronto Raptors organization, his teammates and the fans an apology.
                  Oh, from a fan's perspective, everything that happened with Vince is 100% understandable. (For the record, I love when fans boo. The only time I'm against it is if a guy recovers from injury and gets boo'd - unless it's Paul Pierce)

What I was referring to is that Jalen is shedding new light (for me) on 1) why Carter quit on the people that run the team and 2) Why guys don't want to play for the people that run this team. I'm not specifically speaking of Smitch, although he clearly played a role. We've seen other guys leave the Raps and say cryptic things like "they got problems up there." Jalen's stories are enlightening me to some of that.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    They did send double teams. Nothing worked. The teams was made up primarily of bad defenders and Sam apparently wasn't that good at teaching the one thing that allowed him to stay in the league as a player.
                    According to our good friend, Jalen, no double-teams on that historic night.

http://www.isportstimes.com/articles...jalen-rose.htm

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                      A teacher can get a kid to sit down by yelling at him, but that doesn't make them a good teacher. And sooner or later all that yelling becomes nothing but noise and the millionaire kid does whatever the fuck he wants because he's tired of getting yelled at.
                      You missed my point. You basically said Sam was a horrible coach who doesn't know how to do anything well. If that were the case what do you think the yelling would accomplish? If he doesn't know anything and/or can't effectively communicate/teach what difference would the volume be having on the end result?

If you don't know how to swim and I don't know how to teach you, I'm sorry but you're gonna drown no matter how loud I yell at you that you're not floating...

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      According to our good friend, Jalen, no double-teams on that historic night.

http://www.isportstimes.com/articles...jalen-rose.htm
                      Well there were two guys waving their hands in his face at times during the game. You can call that what you like.

Comment

Sam Mitchell responds: http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/2012/10/..._sid_seixeiro/
                        TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Working...
                        X