Breakout Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Team Options on rookie deals for the next season need to be picked up by October 31st. I'd be surprised if ED's option is not picked up by the end of this month.
    A no breakout 2011-2012 season = $900,000 pay raise? Sigh.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

Fields
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Either fields or Demar. I think Demar will have a breakout season. But I also think fields will have a slightly-better-than-rookie year-season, if you consider that a breakout.

Comment

Fields for me.

Demar and Davis are unlikely to do anything spectacular given the logjam at PF and SG spots. If demar's decision making and efficiency improves that is quite a breakthrough for me.

I would have picked JJ if he was still here.

Comment

i just hope it's a wing player ... we're really thin there.

Comment

Kyle Lowry. Fully healthy season, under a coach with the same philosophy, and being 'given the keys' to the team. The guy is VERY capable of earning a reserve spot on the All-star team, not to mention, his name will for sure be on the ballots, and will be watched.

Demar Derozan is my 1A, only because he bulked up significantly, added a capable handle, improved looking jumper, and familiar with the team concepts and systems. Demar really had a disappointing season. After being on the bottom, the one direction is up for him.

Bargnani could be there as well, but the difference between him and the other two, is he's always been capable of being a scorer and offensive threat, it's all about improving at the effort part of the game.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
                Fields for me.

Demar and Davis are unlikely to do anything spectacular given the logjam at PF and SG spots.
                Isn't there just as much of a logjam at SF that would affect Fields? Technically, DeRozan, Kleiza, Ross, Anderson and McGuire could all play the 3.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Isn't there just as much of a logjam at SF that would affect Fields? Technically, DeRozan, Kleiza, Ross, Anderson and McGuire could all play the 3.
                  I agree. He will not get easy minutes here. He has played a lot of minutes in different positions with knicks but it will be different this time.

I still feel Fields will actually improve the most under Casey. After a miserable season with knicks, a new contract dissed by everyone and the failed Nash-trade situation expectations are at an all time low for Fields. He has a point to prove to a lot of people.

Comment

I agree. He will not get easy minutes here. He has played a lot of minutes in different positions with knicks but it will be different this time.

I still feel Fields will actually improve the most under Casey. After a miserable season with knicks, a new contract dissed by everyone and the failed Nash-trade situation expectations are at an all time low for Fields. He has a point to prove to a lot of people.
                    I honestly don't believe Fields has anything to prove. All I hope for him, is to be a good complimentary player like he was in the first half of his rookie season. The ability to shoot open shots, rebound, defend. Be a blue-collar player.

I'm not expecting any spectacular from Fields other than great effort.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

+1. I think he can only improve from last season, and with coach Casey running the team I'm expecting him to flourish. Obviously not a 20ppg player but I'm hoping for a good season from Fields

Comment

I agree Fields' numbers should go up on the offensive side of the ball a bit without having to defer to super star players like Melo and Stoudamire, but keep in mind coach Casey has much more in common with coach Woodson than say coach D'Antoni, whom Fields flourished under. It should be interesting to see what part of Fields' game flourishes under Casey.

Comment

Ed Davis. He will use his new shooting stroke to add a midrange game.

Comment

I had Ed Davis too before Matt shot down my idea. But now that I think of it I still think it'll be Davis because he'll have Calderon feeding him the ball instead of that other guy who rarely passed the ball. Coming in through the second unit and having a pass first guy will help a great deal I think for Ed Davis' improvement.

Edit: Hmm.. according to 82games Davis spent most of his time on the floor with Calderon last year. So there goes that idea. Except big difference now will be that there aren't many other scoring big men. JV is said to have very little post up moves right now and wil probably operate mostly in the PnR, leaving Davis with most of the post up stuff. So in that second unit Calderon will have many choices to pass to. Here's hoping he can get Davis' numbers up a bit.
                            Last edited by ebrian; Fri Sep 28, 2012, 03:18 PM.
                            your pal,
                            ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                              I had Ed Davis too before Matt shot down my idea. But now that I think of it I still think it'll be Davis because he'll have Calderon feeding him the ball instead of that other guy who rarely passed the ball. Coming in through the second unit and having a pass first guy will help a great deal I think for Ed Davis' improvement.

Edit: Hmm.. according to 82games Davis spent most of his time on the floor with Calderon last year. So there goes that idea. Except big difference now will be that there aren't many other scoring big men. JV is said to have very little post up moves right now and wil probably operate mostly in the PnR, leaving Davis with most of the post up stuff. So in that second unit Calderon will have many choices to pass to. Here's hoping he can get Davis' numbers up a bit.
                              Shot down your idea or offered a different perspective?

Either way I apologize if I was harsh or offended you - rarely the intent.

Fwiw, I do hope ED has a phenomenal year. He is one of the few trade assets Toronto has that are likely moveable due to his rookie contract and the 'potential' label he still carries.

Hopefully the dots can be connected here but Darrell Arthur now has a stress fracture in his leg after missing last season with an Achilles injury if memory serves correct.

Comment

Bargnani has already broken out. DeRozan is playing for a new contract and besides that, it's time for him.

Comment

Working...
                                X