Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC on 590

Some key points that Colangelo mentioned:

This year is much more stable in comparison to last season. Last season was more of a culture shift; whereas the ‘plan’ has accelerated significantly this season.

There’s been a power-shift in the East. Teams like Atlanta, Boston, and Orlando seem to be in decline; whereas there a few teams on the rise. Colangelo feels that Toronto is one of those teams on the rise.

This upcoming season reminds BC of his first season with the Raptors – a chance to revamp the team and make some noise.

BC is really excited about the newcomers, in particular Kyle Lowry, who is ‘tough as nails’.

DeMar is much bigger and stronger this year. The goal for him will be getting to the basket much more. Colangelo commented that DeRozan will never be a ‘great 3-point shooter’, but that he will be mostly working on attached the rim to get his points, as well as improving his rebounding and defense.

Kyle Lowry will make DeMar DeRozan better.

Valancuinas will not be a go-to guy nor a back-to-the-basket player right away. But he’s a fighter. JV will bring great energy and hustle; and he’s tremendous at running the floor on both ends. He’ll have an impact both defensively and offensively.

Andrea will never be a great rebounder.

Colangelo has never been as confident in a coach as he is now in Dwane Casey.

Regarding the organization: “It is one of the best run sports organiziations that I’ve been exposed to”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/2012/09/..._and_jim_lang/

I'm not a BC hater by any means, I've actually always been a supporter, but... the guy spews out the same bullshit every year. How many revamped rosters have we been through now, Bryan? Oh, what? Every year? I would actually be quite fine if I didn't hear him speak until the trade deadline. It's put-up-or-shutup time for BC.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
      I'm not a BC hater by any means, I've actually always been a supporter, but... the guy spews out the same bullshit every year. How many revamped rosters have we been through now, Bryan? Oh, what? Every year? I would actually be quite fine if I didn't hear him speak until the trade deadline. It's put-up-or-shutup time for BC.
      +1

Big reason why I've been happy to hear Alex Rucker.

Comment

Kinda discouraging when your own General Manager tells the media that one of his players will "never be good at ______" not with that attitude..

I agree on Derozan though, why are we looking for him to get a better shot when he can't even do the things that he does well... well...

He should perfect his slashing and to-the-basket skills before even considering working on his long range jumpshots that we all love to see mid 2nd quarter.

Comment

+1 wowee-zowie!

I post this and get flamed glad someone else is on board
          "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

You guys, don't like it that he's honest? Everything, he said is something we already knew...carry on.
            -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
            -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

thanks for the link. agree that bc says the same shit every year but it's not because he is trying to trick anyone or thinks we are fools. sports cliches go all the way to the top. 29 other team managers and coaches are doing the same thing as he and dc are doing right now.

they know who the sports fans are, and that money is coming anyway. they need to sell the team to the sidewalkers with maybe 50 bucks a week spending money. grab some of that every week and make sure the bottom line is taken care of.

Comment

IROR wrote: View Post
                Regarding the organization: “It is one of the best run sports organiziations that I’ve been exposed to”
                Hold up here just a sec. This quote bears a little analysis.

1. Assuming he's talking about the Toronto Raptors, which is the "sports organization", and not MLSE, which is a company that happens to own sports organizations along with other types of organizations, the guy is saying "The organization that I run is one of the best run sports organizations I've been exposed to.

2. His entire career up until he arrived in Toronto was spent with the Suns. He's only been exposed to one other sports organization in his entire life (maybe two if you count USA basketball). And the Raptors (again, the organization he himself runs as president and general manager) are only "one of the" best? So, like, top three? High praise there, Bryan.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                  thanks for the link. agree that bc says the same shit every year but it's not because he is trying to trick anyone or thinks we are fools. sports cliches go all the way to the top. 29 other team managers and coaches are doing the same thing as he and dc are doing right now.

they know who the sports fans are, and that money is coming anyway. they need to sell the team to the sidewalkers with maybe 50 bucks a week spending money. grab some of that every week and make sure the bottom line is taken care of.
                  Agreed. People are making a bid deal outta this, but he's just doing part of his job, just like every other GM

Comment

Funny how the 1st thing outta his mouth was regarding season tickets, lol.

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
                      Hold up here just a sec. This quote bears a little analysis.

1. Assuming he's talking about the Toronto Raptors, which is the "sports organization", and not MLSE, which is a company that happens to own sports organizations along with other types of organizations, the guy is saying "The organization that I run is one of the best run sports organizations I've been exposed to.

2. His entire career up until he arrived in Toronto was spent with the Suns. He's only been exposed to one other sports organization in his entire life (maybe two if you count USA basketball). And the Raptors (again, the organization he himself runs as president and general manager) are only "one of the" best? So, like, top three? High praise there, Bryan.
                      Perhaps your "analysis" might better be called "twisting to suit my script"?
                      1. The guy is way too smooth to be publicly patting himself on the back for a well run "sports organization". Such an assumption is a tad foolhardy, imo, and I would bet my bottom dollar that he's referring to ownership/MLSE.
                      2. The key phrase is "exposed to", which can entail much more than those he has worked for. As one example, he has very likely talked to other teams prior to deciding upon the job with the Raps. That would have "exposed" him to how those organizations are run. With so many talks with other teams' GMs/Management, and annual GM meetings, it wouldn't be a stretch to think that he's been significantly "exposed" to at least some of the style and management of some of those teams.

Comment

Most interesting thing to me is that BC seems to be out of the prediction business. No more "Best team ever on paper" or "wish I could go on a season long scouting trip" stuff. Ambiguity from the GM this time around. Probably smart given the roster.
                        Last edited by slaw; Thu Sep 27, 2012, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Barring a miracle... or a confluence of events that see the Raptors exceed all prognosticators projections, I have a sneaking suspicion that this will be BC's last year with the team

Comment

What would you rather have him say? That this year's team is the same as every crappy team they've had for the past couple of years? That there's no use going through the draft, scouting players coming into free agency because it will always be the same result every single year anyways?

Maybe this is how he should address an interview or presscon, slotted for 30mins to an hour:

Reporter: BC, what makes this team different from last season's? What are the expectations? How far do you think this team will go???

BC: You'll see.

DONE.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                              Most interesting thing to me is that BC seems to be out of the prediction business. No more "Best team ever on paper" or "wish I could go on a season long scouting trip" stuff. Ambiguity from the GM this time around. Probably smart given the roster.
                              Im actually glad he's staying away from those. Not healthy.

Comment

Working...
                              X