Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Ladies and gentlemen, meet Kyle "Alpha dog" Lowry

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter Fanchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    205
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Ladies and gentlemen, meet Kyle "Alpha dog" Lowry

    Nice interview !

    I definitely feel like I am the leader, I am a leader that can push my teammates and get after it and I think guys will follow me, he said. So as long as I come out there and show what I can do and be attacking and professional and do what I know how to do, its definitely going to do some good.
    To be the head of the snake, he added, when asked what he hopes to accomplish in Toronto. Just be up there. It starts with the point guard and as long as Im doing what Im supposed to do getting up, pressuring, being talkative, loud, and being aggressive, my teammates got my back. And I know that if they see Im up there working hard, theyre going to work hard for me, behind me.
    Gotta love that leadership attitude. Go Kyle !

    http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/26...-looks-to-lead

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,246
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That gets me pretty pumped for the season. To finally have someone on the team whom isn't scared about calling it his team and to want the role of leader. I could see Kyle playing the role of Baron Davis they year Golden State made it to the playoffs. He was a great leader for the team and the city really rallied behind their team that year. Can't wait for opening day!

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nice to have a dude who can play with a killer mentality and not be ashamed to be in Canada.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    922
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Basically, he sounds more and more like Jarret Jack, but with a bit more talent...

    Also, if it wasn't for Alvin Williams convincing him that playing in Toronto is alright, he wouldn't be with us...
    -"You cant run from me. I mean, my heart dont bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"I aint no diva! I dont have no blond hair, red hair. Im Reggie Evans.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Queq'part
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    That gets me pretty pumped for the season. To finally have someone on the team whom isn't scared about calling it his team and to want the role of leader. I could see Kyle playing the role of Baron Davis they year Golden State made it to the playoffs. He was a great leader for the team and the city really rallied behind their team that year. Can't wait for opening day!
    That is a great comparison. This would be amazing.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter Fuchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    Basically, he sounds more and more like Jarret Jack, but with a bit more talent...

    Also, if it wasn't for Alvin Williams convincing him that playing in Toronto is alright, he wouldn't be with us...
    But he is with us (This could be the luck I keep hearing about). Regarless of how he got here, its nice to have a borderline allstar taking the reigns and leading our team.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,068
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fuchan wrote: View Post
    But he is with us (This could be the luck I keep hearing about). Regarless of how he got here, its nice to have a borderline allstar taking the reigns and leading our team.
    +1 Totally agree.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter Katman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    Basically, he sounds more and more like Jarret Jack, but with a bit more talent...

    Also, if it wasn't for Alvin Williams convincing him that playing in Toronto is alright, he wouldn't be with us...
    His contract has a no trade clause?

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    Basically, he sounds more and more like Jarret Jack, but with a bit more talent...

    Also, if it wasn't for Alvin Williams convincing him that playing in Toronto is alright, he wouldn't be with us...
    Wasn't he obtained in a trade? He didn't make a choice. Perhaps the Raps got some convincing from Alvin, but not Lowry.

    I'm excited to see how this team comes together, with great hopes that KL is both the vocal and energy leader that he appears to be, though seriously taking the responsibility of making others better as a floor general.
    Last edited by p00ka; Fri Sep 28th, 2012 at 01:49 PM.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Agreed. The only people Alvin had to "convince" were Casey and Colangelo. Lowry had no choice in the matter.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Agreed on all the comments stating Lowry had no choice.

    In the first interviews after the trade he did express hesitation until he spoke with Alvin, studied up with Simon, and had dinner with Theodore..... er, I mean, spoke with Alvin, did a little research on the players on the roster, and learned more about Toronto.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,068
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Interesting. Coach Casey all called him an alpha dog during his press conference with the media during the voluntary practices.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,818
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If he didn't want to be here he wouldn't have done the thing with Landry where they delivered season tickets to fans, nor would he talk about Toronto and the team as positively as he does.

    Not to mention the way he's been trying to round up players for various outings. The pic of Acy and Flying V waiting in the lobby or the boys at the jays game all in jays hats brought a big smile to my face.

    The young guys already seem to have a good relationship, and if a guy like Lowry is leading the charge in building chemistry this early on nothing but good will come of it.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic All-Star Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Agreed on all the comments stating Lowry had no choice.

    In the first interviews after the trade he did express hesitation until he spoke with Alvin, studied up with Simon, and had dinner with Theodore..... er, I mean, spoke with Alvin, did a little research on the players on the roster, and learned more about Toronto.
    Haha, you can't really deliver something like that with text

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    853
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Not to be nit-picky .. but there is a big difference between being a leader and being an alpha-dog - the two are not synonymous.

    Dont get me wrong .. we havent had either here for a long time .. but Ill make the distinction. VC was an alpha dog through and through. When the chips were down and you needed a big shot, there was absolutely no question who was going to take it. None, zero, zip, zilch. Thats an alpha dog. Was he a great leader? Not really .. to some extent he led by performance, but he was an average leader at best.
    I would argue CB, while a very good player, was neither a leader nor an alpha dog.

    Lowrie, on the other hand, appears to have good leadership skills. Ability to run the floor, rally the troops, lead by example. Thats great and something this team sorely needs.

    However, I havent seen any evidence yet that he has "alpha dog" in him .. that "give me the damn ball and Ill make sure something happens" mentality down the stretch. That quality is reserved for the special of special players .. Im not saying he couldnt develop it .. but Im not ready to declare it just yet (while I am ready to say he appears to have good leadership qualities ... but so does Reggie Evans, for example, and hes definitely not an alpha dog)

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    Not to be nit-picky .. but there is a big difference between being a leader and being an alpha-dog - the two are not synonymous.

    Dont get me wrong .. we havent had either here for a long time .. but Ill make the distinction. VC was an alpha dog through and through. When the chips were down and you needed a big shot, there was absolutely no question who was going to take it. None, zero, zip, zilch. Thats an alpha dog. Was he a great leader? Not really .. to some extent he led by performance, but he was an average leader at best.
    I would argue CB, while a very good player, was neither a leader nor an alpha dog.

    Lowrie, on the other hand, appears to have good leadership skills. Ability to run the floor, rally the troops, lead by example. Thats great and something this team sorely needs.

    However, I havent seen any evidence yet that he has "alpha dog" in him .. that "give me the damn ball and Ill make sure something happens" mentality down the stretch. That quality is reserved for the special of special players .. Im not saying he couldnt develop it .. but Im not ready to declare it just yet (while I am ready to say he appears to have good leadership qualities ... but so does Reggie Evans, for example, and hes definitely not an alpha dog)






    2:30


    *EDIT*

    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Sep 29th, 2012 at 08:48 AM.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    Not to be nit-picky .. but there is a big difference between being a leader and being an alpha-dog - the two are not synonymous. ... VC was an alpha dog through and through. When the chips were down and you needed a big shot, there was absolutely no question who was going to take it. ...Thats an alpha dog. Was he a great leader? Not really .. to some extent he led by performance, but he was an average leader at best.
    I would argue CB, while a very good player, was neither a leader nor an alpha dog.

    Lowrie, on the other hand, appears to have good leadership skills. ...However, I havent seen any evidence yet that he has "alpha dog" in him .. that "give me the damn ball and Ill make sure something happens" mentality down the stretch. ...hes definitely not an alpha dog)
    Not to be nit-picky, but you are using some bastardized definition of what "alpha-dog" means.

    Wikipedia: "The leader of the pack is called the alpha male."

    As in "leader." There are other connotations as well, but alpha means leader. In a dog or wolf pack, that also usually means the toughest or strongest, and leadership is by coercion or threats. In the "human" pack the leader isn't necessarily the strongest, or the most fierce, but frequently is.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    853
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Not to be nit-picky, but you are using some bastardized definition of what "alpha-dog" means.

    Wikipedia: "The leader of the pack is called the alpha male."

    As in "leader." There are other connotations as well, but alpha means leader. In a dog or wolf pack, that also usually means the toughest or strongest, and leadership is by coercion or threats. In the "human" pack the leader isn't necessarily the strongest, or the most fierce, but frequently is.
    This wasnt meant to be an argument linguistics or the word origins in the english language. In basketball circles, there is a difference between being a leader and being an alpha dog. As i said before, the leader can very easily not be the best player and not be the guy who always makes the big play. Kobe - alpha dog. Derek Fisher (a few years back) - leader. Obviously you can be both, but not necessarily. Leaders make sure their teamates give 100% for 48 minutes and keep everyone in line when need be. Alpha dogs are the ones that everyone defers to when the chips are down - not necessarily the same.


    Its interesting that you use the example of wolfs or dogs. In this case (lower IQ animals), alpha dog is much more likely to be the same as leader (because as you say, its all about being the biggest, strongest, best). However, with people where smarts, attitude and "balls" play a big role .. there are distinctions.

    The most classic alpha dog argument in the last few years was lebron/wade. Until last year, no one was sure who the alpha dog was. Wade, however, was the clear leader of that team. LBJ, now for sure, is the Alpha dog.

    In the end I guess its somewhat semantics here .. but the point Im trying to make is Im not convinced that Lowry is going to get the ball down the stretch and have the team defer to him. If you guys think differently (Matt posted some nice clips and maybe does) .. then maybe he will be the alpha dog. Im not convinced.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    853
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post






    2:30


    *EDIT*

    Great clips.
    To be clear, Im not suggesting the guy cant hit big shots. But, lots of guys can hit big shots. Alpha dogs, on the other hand, are the guys that game in and game out have their teamates rely on them to make big plays (obviously drive and dish just as good as hitting the shot) .. one way or the other, the ball is in their hands down the stretch and the rest of the team leans on them to do the right thing. Every game. Once in every 5 or 10 games doesnt cut it. Maybe this will be Lowry (i sure as hell hope so) .. but Im not yet convinced.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I disagree that an alpha dog has to be taking the last shot, or creating the last shot. You can have a star player that is the clear cut leader of the team (KG for example) who I would say is the alpha dog of his team, yet didn't always have the ball in his hands at the end of games. Sure, you could put the ball in his hands because he's "the alpha dog", but I would rather have the ball in Rondo's hands because he is one of the best in the league at creating high percentage shots

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •