Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we put to rest this nonsense about Landry Fields being overpaid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Is the entire contract and/or the amount by which Fields is overpaid enough to cause concern? No.
    Is the entire contract a cause of concern? My answer is yes because I believe the Raptors have too many complimentary pieces that are making more than fair market value.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      Is Fields overpaid? Yes.

Did overpaying Fields by $2M per season hurt the team this offseason? No.

Is the entire contract and/or the amount by which Fields is overpaid enough to cause concern? No.

Could Fields' play over the next 3 seaons result in the $6M annual salary being perceived as good value? Yes.
      Fair, but making these type of justifications cannot be the norm.

I love how the title of this thread is pretty much the opposite of the majority of its content

Comment

NoBan wrote: View Post
        Fair, but making these type of justifications cannot be the norm.

I love how the title of this thread is pretty much the opposite of the majority of its content
        I count five posters suggesting that he is overpaid and five posters saying no he's not overpaid or that the overpaying is justified because all RFAs are overpaid. so I would say that the title of this thread is not the opposite of the majority.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
          I believe the Raptors would have been better served by simply waiting, even a year or two if needed, for a better player to become available - or, if lucky, for one of their players to show tremendous improvement - than to invest so heavily into a player who has yet to demonstrate he is nothing more than a weak starter-quality player / 6th or 7th man.
          I liked this post the best out of this entire thread.

In our position, we didn't need a player like Landry for the amount we paid for him. I'd much rather wait the 2-3 years it will take for this team to become competitive, and then go out and look for a free agent (if we even need one, given that we already have DeRozan, Kleiza, and just drafted Ross) that we can offer a similar contract to.

A guy who has 5-7 years of playing well, versus this guy who has played 2 years and played well in one of them.
          your pal,
          ebrian

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
            I count five posters suggesting that he is overpaid and five posters saying no he's not overpaid or that the overpaying is justified because all RFAs are overpaid. so I would say that the title of this thread is not the opposite of the majority.
            OK sorry for continuing to take this to a petty place buuuut....

of the 10 you count, 5 say "yes, overpaid". and of the other 5, a few still acknowledge the over-payment even though they think it's justified due to the RFA status. Those still count as "yes, overpaid" responses. That would be the majority. So you disagreed with my post while simultaneously proving I was correct. Another poster did the same thing to me in another thread yesterday. What is going on here? Majority or not, this thread has borne out that the opinion that Landry is overpaid is far from "nonsense" and should not be "put to rest"

Comment

Elaine Aiden will be at Raptor games. What the fuck is everyone complaining about?

Comment

NoBan wrote: View Post
                justified due to the RFA status
                "Justified Overpayment"

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. And these are the people who agree with me that Fields is a good acquisition.

No wonder politicians have such an easy time lying to the public about economics, people refuse to understand even the most basic concepts like price and prefer to think in terms of metaphysical norms.

Pay no attention to markets, prices come from the gods, even if sometimes you can't buy something for it's "correct" price and thus it's "justified" to "overpay."

Oy vey.

Comment

We can put value on his past performances, but how can we possibly know if we overpaid if he hasen't played one game for us. What if he has a breakout year? What if he plays worse than last year? We won't know this until the season starts, and suddenly we're arguing about economics. We don't even know how what return we will get on our investment yet, and arguing about it is moot

Comment

Fuchan wrote: View Post
                    We can put value on his past performances, but how can we possibly know if we overpaid if he hasen't played one game for us. What if he has a breakout year? What if he plays worse than last year? We won't know this until the season starts, and suddenly we're arguing about economics. We don't even know how what return we will get on our investment yet, and arguing about it is moot
                    I guess we should stop arguing about anything before it has taken place. So let's not talk about games before they are played, because we won't know what happens untill it happens. I also suggest we stop talking about games after they have been played. Because, what's the use, the outcome can't be changed anymore anyway. So let's just close the forum.

Comment

Whoa, let's not be rash. We should at least keep the off-topic forums open. Without it I wouldn't have known that Soundgarden is back. Who doesn't love Soundgarden? Black hole sun, am i right?
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                        I guess we should stop arguing about anything before it has taken place. So let's not talk about games before they are played, because we won't know what happens untill it happens. I also suggest we stop talking about games after they have been played. Because, what's the use, the outcome can't be changed anymore anyway. So let's just close the forum.
                        Thats a mature take on things. I'm just saying, lets give him a chance. He's a good player, and in all probablilty will bounce back from a tough sophmore year

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                          Whoa, let's not be rash. We should at least keep the off-topic forums open. Without it I wouldn't have known that Soundgarden is back. Who doesn't love Soundgarden? Black hole sun, am i right?
                          Damn right

Comment

Fuchan wrote: View Post
                            Elaine Aiden will be at Raptor games. What the fuck is everyone complaining about?
                            That was also one of my first thoughts in July.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                              Absolutely agree.

in all probablilty will bounce back from a tough sophmore year
                              yet

but how can we possibly know .... he hasen't played one game for us.
                              We don't even know how what return we will get on our investment yet, and arguing about it is moot
                              so what are you basing the 'probability' on if we can't possibly know?

Isn't anyone arguing economics doing the same thing, but trying to take it a step further and estimate what that return on investment will be?

Comment

Working...
                              X