Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble in Paradise Calderon Fans. Jose's Not Happy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble in Paradise Calderon Fans. Jose's Not Happy?

It would appear as though Jose's broken his silence and isn't satisfied with his minutes played.

And so it begins. I don't expect Jose lasting beyond the trade deadline. It was nice knowin' ya.

This was courtesy of the Spanish publication Marca.com:

"I'm not satisfied with my minutes"
    "Particulary I would like to continue but, if there's a trade I'd go. You've got to be prepared for everything."
    Somewhat better translation via the RealGM via Google:

Jose, can you say that you recovered yet?
    - Calderón: "Yes I'm fine. I finally without problems of any kind. Physically better than long."
    - And yet not regain ownership.
    - Calderón: "For the moment it seems not. But look, the bottom line is to be good for the team. It is true that you always feel like they hold but here in this league is very good bench players and nothing happens. Al After the minute is that you play.
    - Ya, but the minute I met you play?
    - Calderón: "Well, no game what satisfies me. But no problem with that"
    - You sure?
    - Calderón: "Sure. Let's see, I'm pissed off, I'm not pissed off twenty-three minutes played per game. Of course I like to play more. You always want to play anymore. It is normal and part of the desire to be best player ever. But that is something that the coach decides. "
    - But it is not justified by the recovery because you're well ...
    - Calderón: "Yes, yes, I am already physically perfect. I mean, that's not for me. And if I have to play more there is no problem."
    - It seems that you look as happy as before. I can see for example in the celebrations of track, becoming less frequent in you. Some think even free throws.
    - Calderón: "Well, these things happen. I've been away a long time and until you catch the rhythm and begin to work out things is clear that you're frustrated. But anyway, there are always things you want to leave otherwise and that's it. Do not give more laps. And what of the free throws than anyone else worry that I'm very clear. What I did last year is something that happens only once and not going to happen next. I'll be back to be by the eighty-something percent and regain my usual touch. But it is illogical to believe we can repeat it once last year.
    Source - Click here

Interesting. I'm not sure what the best way to handle this is. Should we move him? If so, what for?

Comment

Hold on guys. Before everybody starts freaking out and jumping to conclusions, let me say that the article is translated terribly. I'm reading the spanish article now and will provide a better translation for the most important parts of the article. Whoever translated is twisting the words to make it seem a lot worse than what he is saying.

Comment

Without Jose ... raptors is toast....

What happen if Jack isn't playing well? Do we rely on Marcus Banks?...psshh

Comment

This interview has almost 3 weeks, I read it in Spanish, and he's not saying that he's disgusted with his minutes. He's saying that a player always wants to play more but he's confortable with any role he's given.

When asked about a possible trade he said he wants to finish his contract with the team, and that he loves the city and the city loves him but in a league like the NBA you have to be prepared to get traded, and if a trades happen he'll have to live with it

Let's not start a PG controversy by ourselves, he's not saying anything bad, he's a team player he'll never do such thing

Comment

Lost in translation

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
            It would appear as though Jose's broken his silence and isn't satisfied with his minutes played.

And so it begins. I don't expect Jose lasting beyond the trade deadline. It was nice knowin' ya.

This was courtesy of the Spanish publication Marca.com:

Somewhat better translation via the RealGM via Google:

Source - Click here
            translate it yourself next time
            Title of this topic should be LOST IN TRANSLATION

Comment

Ok guys here is a better translation:

"I'm not satisfied with my play, but there is no problem with that. I am not upset over that, I am not upset over playing 23 minutes per game. But of course I'd like to play more. You should always want to play more. It's normal and is part of my desire to want to be a better player every time. But that is something that the coach decides."

The article goes on to say that Calderon is happy in Toronto and his intention is to continue here. "Especially, I'd like to continue, but if there is a trade, those are things that happen. You've got to be prepared for everything."

"The team is moving up and it is something that we all want. Were going forward, that is what we want. Jarrett Jack likes to attack the basket more than me, while I like to distribute to my team mates more."

"I'm good, recuperated and finally without any problems of any kind. I'm physically better than I have been in a long time. It's true that you always want to be a starter, but in this league there are very good players who come off the bench without problems. In the end you make the most out of the minutes you play and what's important is that you are good for the team."

"I have been gone a long time, and until I get into a rhythm and things begin to go good, it is clear that I'll be frustrated. But well, there's always things that you would like to come out differently and there it is. You can't give it another thought."

That's a literal and correct translation of the article. So to conclude- THERE IS NO PG CONTROVERSY. He is not saying that he is not satisfied with his minutes, he is saying he is not satisfied with his play. The last paragraph leads me to believe that Raul is right in saying this is an old article, though I couldn't find the actual date.

P.S. I've checked out some other forums on this topic and there are some gross misinterpretations being flung around. So if any of you are posters in other forums feel free to post my translations to clear the air regarding this "controversy". Being fully fluent in Spanish I am confident in the accuracy of my translations.
              Last edited by .40 Cal Flakes; Fri Jan 29, 2010, 10:32 PM.

Comment

I would be absolutely shocked if Jose expressed his displeasure with coming off the bench since he's always said that he's happy doing whatever necessary to help his team win - which we currently are.

The above quotes seem to be made by some sort of Jose imposter or a 'Wajose' (a la Wario and Waluigi) lol!
                RR OG

Comment

I think Jose understands thats the way the coach is running the rotation is working. I mean it's kinda revolutionary to not put one of your best players in the starting lineup. Jack's poorer ball handling and distribution are disguised when he plays with better scorers and Jose makes the whole second unit better and can be the best shooter on the floor against a legit second-unit opposing pg. I mean this strategy is not new to hockey where you might just put a top guy on the second line but use your best for the power play, or in the case of basketball put your best five guys on the floor in crunch time. Sure it's gotta hurt the ego a bit to not be introduced to the fans before the game but for his 8 million he should suck it up and be content with winning...
                  limpin ain't easy, but I make it look good...

Comment

Jose is not an idiot and sees the big-ass picture of things...the Raptors are beating top-tier teams not named Boston or Atlanta ever since he popped off the bench. Hell, there are games that he closed out with victories till the end such as the Miami game on Wednesday.

He was raised from Euro leagues and the Spanish National team, which their motto is: complain about minutes or you are out of the team, and if you play 10 minutes a game and the team is winning a ton, appreciate it! Jose saw Rubio take his minutes in the Olympics and he didn't even draw a breath of complaint (plus he was injured, but Jose has 10 yrs more experience than Rubio though).

Jose knows what TJ Ford did and it cost him a job in Toronto, and he won't be stupid to complain at all, especially on the stretch his team is going in right now.

Comment

My 2cents"
                      On the issue of minutes I think he is voicing a desire to play more minutes; the problem is he has shown time and time again inability to play off the ball. Its not like the coaches dont want to give him minutes but his skill set is limited to the PG position he cant play the 2 gd. From the coaches POV more minutes to Jose means less defense and less penetration as he is more happy with the screen and pop or off the elbow jump shot. Jack is more suited to help the team he has a more polished offensive game and is realtively tougher on denfence.

As for the trade issue he mentioned I think he is reacting to the rumor started a week or two ago about Jose being on the block by one of the Toronto Suns writesr. He is just saying that with the trade deadline coming, me getting traded is a possibility.

Comment

Having two starting quality PG's is a good problem to have. IMO overall, they are one of the best PG duo in the league. I think it would be a MASSIVE MISTAKE to trade Jose at this point. Why on earth would anyone want to split this up? As long as they both know their respective roles and have no problems about sharing minutes and being team players (which it seems they do) then we should keep it intact. Having them both provides the team with different skill sets and make no mistake about it, the 2nd unit is playing admirably in large part to Ocho's presence off the bench.

Also, Jay is doing a pretty good job for the most part on splitting the duties and having the right player on the floor at the right time. Not perfect but a pretty good job.

Comment

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
                          Having two starting quality PG's is a good problem to have. IMO overall, they are one of the best PG duo in the league. I think it would be a MASSIVE MISTAKE to trade Jose at this point. Why on earth would anyone want to split this up? As long as they both know their respective roles and have no problems about sharing minutes and being team players (which it seems they do) then we should keep it intact. Having them both provides the team with different skill sets and make no mistake about it, the 2nd unit is playing admirably in large part to Ocho's presence off the bench.

Also, Jay is doing a pretty good job for the most part on splitting the duties and having the right player on the floor at the right time. Not perfect but a pretty good job.
                          I completely agree with you and unless we can somehow aquire AI2 for calderon (extremely unlikely) then we should just hold onto Calderon.

Comment

Babyface_killah wrote: View Post
                            I completely agree with you and unless we can somehow aquire AI2 for calderon (extremely unlikely) then we should just hold onto Calderon.
                            The only way trading Ocho should come into play is if the Dinos can get a SIGNIFICANT upgrade at the 2.

Comment

I hope Caldy's post game interview last night on The Score will finally put to rest any idea of a PG controversy. He is a team player first and foremost. He repeated what he's been saying all along, I'm paraphrasing here, that he just wants the team to win and will do what he can to help. He also said of course he'd want more mins, but that it's not an issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X