what is DeMar worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

malefax wrote: View Post
    Based on his shooting last season, he's below average. That said, I think is shooting was flukily bad, and hurt by the lack of training camp
    Thing is that his shooting numbers in terms of eFG% and TS% have fallen each year and there was little to no improvement (or even regression) in all other categories. When young players don't improve it's cause for concern that goes beyond potentially abberant FG% numbers. I don't know how much longer this team can afford to wait on the guy...

Comment

Dr does not play or feel like a starting guard in NBA. He succumbed early in the career to the raps collective infectious disease - aversion to taking the ball to the basket. Ball is cheap, shoot as often as you please, and expect others to rebound. Further, he defers and respects too much, in particular the star opposing players. Suggestion - keep him for the bench, absolutely do not overpay, and look to trade for an upgrade on that position.

Comment

The market should determine DeMar's worth. However I would suspect it would be similar to what Wesley Matthew's got a couple of years ago which was $34M for 5 years.

Comment

I don't think DeMar is worth more than MLE/$5M at this point - MAX - and more likely closer to $4M. Maybe this season proves different.

My main measuring stick is the 3 year, $10M contract Alonzo Gee signed with Cleveland.

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
            He was shooting great to start the season, even looked like he had developed 3pt range. Can't blame it on a lack of training camp.

(Cue blaming it on fatigue as the season wore on in 3...2...1...)
            No, but his usage did increase, as you pointed out.

I don't have clips to support this, but I suspect that at the start of the season, other teams were still working from last year's scouting reports and didn't think they had to respect his 3-point shot, so they sagged off him and he made those open looks. When they started paying defensive attention to his shot, it stopped falling.

If that's accurate, it certainly isn't a good sign, but I do expect his shooting percentage to increase this season due to a combination of his usage dropping and being more open when he shoots.

That said, I'm not sold on him long-term. Like you, I'd prefer to divest the franchise of inefficient players. I like what their analytics guys are saying publically, so I have to think that they're more capable of evaluating efficiency than we are -- meaning they know as well as we do that DeRozan is an inefficient player and are expecting substantial improvement from him this season. Insurance against that not happening may have been part of the motive behind drafting Ross.

Comment

Michel G wrote: View Post
              The whole point of signing a player after the third year is to pay them less than if you wait until after the fourth year. Look at the those idiots in Memphis with Rudy Gay.
              Ideally a player should be signed after the third year but for exceptions. This unfortunately for the Raps. is one such exception. The player(Demar in this case) has not proved to management that he should be locked up to a sizable contract. It's crazy to think that his agent hasn't been spoken to. I'm sure that if they could've extended him for around 5 mil. a season they would've. Understandably his agent should feel that Demar would fetch a lot more at the end of season. A mid season trade involving him wouldn't surprise me at all. This is my observation, not my opinion. Personally I think he should be re-signed.

Memphis I agree made a big mistake with Gay. A costly one.
              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I don't think DeMar is worth more than MLE/$5M at this point - MAX - and more likely closer to $4M. Maybe this season proves different.

My main measuring stick is the 3 year, $10M contract Alonzo Gee signed with Cleveland.
                Therin lies the problem. DeRozan's qualifying offer is $4.3M and I fully expect him to attract higher bidders on the open market, even as a RFA. I think he'd be a great 6th man, but his contract is going to make him too expensive to keep as a backup, especially on a team with Fields & Ross already filling the SG position.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  Therin lies the problem. DeRozan's qualifying offer is $4.3M and I fully expect him to attract higher bidders on the open market, even as a RFA. I think he'd be a great 6th man, but his contract is going to make him too expensive to keep as a backup, especially on a team with Fields & Ross already filling the SG position.
                  Maybe he shocks us all and shows he is worth Afflalo type contract (not that Afflalo is but I do love his game).

Or maybe he puts in another plateau like season and we have another Bayless like situation.

Time will tell.

p.s. or maybe he is used in a sign and trade.

Who knows?!?!?!

But right now he is not worth more than $5M.... but then again, neither is Fields.

Comment

Hes worth whatever Nick Young is worth. He doesnt have any intangibles that anyother 15-20pt scorer can give us.

Comment

DaveKim wrote: View Post
                      Hes worth whatever Nick Young is worth. He doesnt have any intangibles that anyother 15-20pt scorer can give us.
                      Young is a career 38% three point shooter though. Shooters are always in demand.

Young got a 1 year $6M deal from Philly.

Comment

DD has got a lot to prove this year! Based on his numbers from the last two years, he's not starter caliber player. BC scares me though, he has a history of overpaying for "talent" in hopes it "develops"; this is an area BC does poorly as a GM. The list is so long...

Bargs - 7 year 62M
                        Calderon - 5 year 45M
                        Hedu - 5 year 53M
                        Amir - 5 year 30M
                        Capono - 4 year 24M
                        and now Fields, 3 year 19M

I'm not throwing the towel on DD but BC has to realize his value and either pay him accordingly or trade him to other GMs that see more value in him. If his agent doesn't want to sign a reasonable contract, trade him or let him walk! don't cripple yourself with a bad contract in hopes that he'll be better one day.

Comment

@tkfu

Couldn't agree more, except I'd maybe be even more harsh because of this "potential" nonsense. He is what he is. Hoping for guys to be this or that isn't a way to plan a roster. He needs to go, and I think it would be really funny if he's on an NBA roster next year. It would only be because of the absurd "potential" nonsense even believed in by professional NBA personnel executives. In other words, I wouldn't even give him the league minimum. The guy is a disastrous player.

Also, one thing you didn't mention is he's actually gotten worse each year, if you look at the numbers. Puts a crimp in the "potential" arguments.

I'm glad I'm not the only one here throwing cold water on some of the science fiction surrounding the guy from the fan base.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                            since his contract is coming due and there is some discussion about keeping him.

What are players similar to him getting?

Do we overpay in the hopes of him reaching his potential?

Do we do something short term?

Do we test his RFA status?

My personal opinion is he is worth Wilson Chandler/Amir Johnson money 6 - 8 million a year based on current performance.
                            He's worth whatever the market dictates. He's going to have a good season this year in my opinion and it's going to increase his price. Colangelo has a history of sticking by his picks. He'll pay beyond what the fans deem is fair if he has to. That's my prediction.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              He's worth whatever the market dictates. He's going to have a good season this year in my opinion and it's going to increase his price. Colangelo has a history of sticking by his picks. He'll pay beyond what the fans deem is fair if he has to. That's my prediction.
                              God, I hope you're wrong. But I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. The one hope I have is that it seems like Coach Casey's got a significant amount of pull in personnel decisions, and it really seems like he had a big part in bringing in Ross. So we'll see. My dream scenario is that DeMar gets off to at least a decent looking start, and then gets traded mid-season for draft picks.

Comment

3 year/$21mil
                                NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Working...
                                X