Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The annual "15 pounds of muscle" watch

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

We all know that Bargs is not going to change much body-wise for the duration of this career, unless he gets injured and fat.

Raptors Republic All-Star themasao's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding the word 'muscle' after "gained X pounds of" is so misleading. Take the hodgetwins with a grain of salt, but this is a funny word of caution to any "gains" stories.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RAPresenting wrote: View Post
    May be tough for people who have never spent time in the weightroom to understand.
    Spent time in the weight room, got certified as a personal trainer, spent years studying and reading about exercise, nutrition and weight lifting.

If you are putting on more than .5 pounds of muscle a week, without using steroids, you are a genetic freak. And you won't know if you are gaining muscle as opposed to some combination of muscle AND fat unless you do some sophisticated Body Mass Index measurements.

It's not hard to gain 20 pounds in six months, by loading up on protein powder, eating 5 meals a day and watching your cardio exertion, but there is a world of difference between gaining 20 pounds of muscle and just gaining 20 pounds while you work out.

Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    Do you understand the difference between yourself and a professional athlete?
    You've gone years of your life not pushing your body to the limit, getting fat off fast food and sitting at a computer, so a suddenly working out is going to change your body drastically.

Andrea Bargnani is a professional NBA player, with the best trainers in the world and the best workout plans that can be conceived to improve his game. He is a man who for all intents and purposes is in fantastic shape. If suddenly at age 26, in his 8th year in the NBA, he somehow gained 15 pounds of muscle he would have to have changed his workout plan in a very drastic way.

You don't just do the same routine as a pro and suddenly become that much bigger in pure muscle mass, it defies logic.
    Nobody said it was pure muscle... he added 15 pounds.

There's an interview with Casey on the Fan 590 website that had Casey saying it was only some muscle...

Also he's going into his 7th year, not 8th.
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a recent picture of him:
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    Do you understand the difference between yourself and a professional athlete?
    You've gone years of your life not pushing your body to the limit, getting fat off fast food and sitting at a computer, so a suddenly working out is going to change your body drastically.

Andrea Bargnani is a professional NBA player, with the best trainers in the world and the best workout plans that can be conceived to improve his game. He is a man who for all intents and purposes is in fantastic shape. If suddenly at age 26, in his 8th year in the NBA, he somehow gained 15 pounds of muscle he would have to have changed his workout plan in a very drastic way.

You don't just do the same routine as a pro and suddenly become that much bigger in pure muscle mass, it defies logic.
    If I was how you describe and had the same diet the drastic results would be easy. The difference is I was 26 and had been playing soccer and basketball my whole life minimal 5 times a week and running sessions (soccer) for kids 3-4 times. I had never taken lifting weights seriously for more then a couple weeks at a time before. I made a bet with a friend of mine that had been going to the gym religiously for years that it wasn't as tough as he was making it out to be as I didn't think his work ethic was where it could be. I went to the gym almost every day for the first two months (missed 3 during that time) and by the third month cut it down to Monday-Friday lifting, Saturday Core and Sundays Yoga. I was rail thin at 150 and now range from 173-176. This was with no professional trainer, chef and working two jobs. If you put real work in you can see real results.