Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: The annual "15 pounds of muscle" watch

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We all know that Bargs is not going to change much body-wise for the duration of this career, unless he gets injured and fat.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Starter themasao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


    Adding the word 'muscle' after "gained X pounds of" is so misleading. Take the hodgetwins with a grain of salt, but this is a funny word of caution to any "gains" stories.

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RAPresenting wrote: View Post
    May be tough for people who have never spent time in the weightroom to understand.
    Spent time in the weight room, got certified as a personal trainer, spent years studying and reading about exercise, nutrition and weight lifting.

    If you are putting on more than .5 pounds of muscle a week, without using steroids, you are a genetic freak. And you won't know if you are gaining muscle as opposed to some combination of muscle AND fat unless you do some sophisticated Body Mass Index measurements.

    It's not hard to gain 20 pounds in six months, by loading up on protein powder, eating 5 meals a day and watching your cardio exertion, but there is a world of difference between gaining 20 pounds of muscle and just gaining 20 pounds while you work out.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North York, ON
    Posts
    862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    Do you understand the difference between yourself and a professional athlete?
    You've gone years of your life not pushing your body to the limit, getting fat off fast food and sitting at a computer, so a suddenly working out is going to change your body drastically.

    Andrea Bargnani is a professional NBA player, with the best trainers in the world and the best workout plans that can be conceived to improve his game. He is a man who for all intents and purposes is in fantastic shape. If suddenly at age 26, in his 8th year in the NBA, he somehow gained 15 pounds of muscle he would have to have changed his workout plan in a very drastic way.

    You don't just do the same routine as a pro and suddenly become that much bigger in pure muscle mass, it defies logic.
    Nobody said it was pure muscle... he added 15 pounds.

    There's an interview with Casey on the Fan 590 website that had Casey saying it was only some muscle...

    Also he's going into his 7th year, not 8th.
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North York, ON
    Posts
    862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here's a recent picture of him:
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    Do you understand the difference between yourself and a professional athlete?
    You've gone years of your life not pushing your body to the limit, getting fat off fast food and sitting at a computer, so a suddenly working out is going to change your body drastically.

    Andrea Bargnani is a professional NBA player, with the best trainers in the world and the best workout plans that can be conceived to improve his game. He is a man who for all intents and purposes is in fantastic shape. If suddenly at age 26, in his 8th year in the NBA, he somehow gained 15 pounds of muscle he would have to have changed his workout plan in a very drastic way.

    You don't just do the same routine as a pro and suddenly become that much bigger in pure muscle mass, it defies logic.
    If I was how you describe and had the same diet the drastic results would be easy. The difference is I was 26 and had been playing soccer and basketball my whole life minimal 5 times a week and running sessions (soccer) for kids 3-4 times. I had never taken lifting weights seriously for more then a couple weeks at a time before. I made a bet with a friend of mine that had been going to the gym religiously for years that it wasn't as tough as he was making it out to be as I didn't think his work ethic was where it could be. I went to the gym almost every day for the first two months (missed 3 during that time) and by the third month cut it down to Monday-Friday lifting, Saturday Core and Sundays Yoga. I was rail thin at 150 and now range from 173-176. This was with no professional trainer, chef and working two jobs. If you put real work in you can see real results.

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
    Here's a recent picture of him:
    He looks like he's in good shape to me

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Spent time in the weight room, got certified as a personal trainer, spent years studying and reading about exercise, nutrition and weight lifting.

    If you are putting on more than .5 pounds of muscle a week, without using steroids, you are a genetic freak. And you won't know if you are gaining muscle as opposed to some combination of muscle AND fat unless you do some sophisticated Body Mass Index measurements.

    It's not hard to gain 20 pounds in six months, by loading up on protein powder, eating 5 meals a day and watching your cardio exertion, but there is a world of difference between gaining 20 pounds of muscle and just gaining 20 pounds while you work out.
    I agree with what your saying by taking supplements and constantly shoving food down your throat. 3 protein shakes (1 after morning work out, afternoon and before bed), orange triad vitamins, fish oil pills and first 3 months used amino-core. So it's not like I did it all-natural but I never took steroids. I'm simply saying it's possible especially with the amount of time and resources these guys have. 15 pounds on a 7 foot frame isn't anything to be blown away by IMO.

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    First, congratulations. I know how hard it is to gain weight.

    But I will repeat what I said in my post. Unless you were taking relatively sophisticated measurement, you really don't know what percentage of muscle to fat you put on.

    If you haven't lifted weights before, you can, in fact, gain a lot of muscle in a relatively short amount of time. The fact that you were able to lift 57 days out of 60 in the first two months tells me a lot. I can predict what happened after that. You cut back to 4 times a week, Monday legs/back, Tuesday chest/arms, Wednesday off then repeat for Thursday/Friday. Your gains got slower but still get coming, then, at the six month mark, things really slowed down. If you are still working out, then you are down to maybe 6-10 pounds of muscle gain a year and only that much if you continued the protein shake, 5 meals a day routine and also changed up your routine to prevent yourself from getting stale.

    Someone starting a lifting routine can make tremendous progress, but, as Letter N stated above, Andre has been lifting weights for 10 years already...playing professional ball since he was 16. He can continue to get stronger for another 3-6 years, but he won't be putting on more than 3-5 pounds of muscle a year at this stage of his life. Not and play basketball for eight months of the year.

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    First, congratulations. I know how hard it is to gain weight.

    But I will repeat what I said in my post. Unless you were taking relatively sophisticated measurement, you really don't know what percentage of muscle to fat you put on.

    If you haven't lifted weights before, you can, in fact, gain a lot of muscle in a relatively short amount of time. The fact that you were able to lift 57 days out of 60 in the first two months tells me a lot. I can predict what happened after that. You cut back to 4 times a week, Monday legs/back, Tuesday chest/arms, Wednesday off then repeat for Thursday/Friday. Your gains got slower but still get coming, then, at the six month mark, things really slowed down. If you are still working out, then you are down to maybe 6-10 pounds of muscle gain a year and only that much if you continued the protein shake, 5 meals a day routine and also changed up your routine to prevent yourself from getting stale.

    Someone starting a lifting routine can make tremendous progress, but, as Letter N stated above, Andre has been lifting weights for 10 years already...playing professional ball since he was 16. He can continue to get stronger for another 3-6 years, but he won't be putting on more than 3-5 pounds of muscle a year at this stage of his life. Not and play basketball for eight months of the year.
    I had lifted weights for years before but never consistantly for more then a few weeks. What my point was is results are driven by work rate and dedication. Andrea may have been lifting for 10 years but who knows how hard and how he was lifting or who was training him. Some guys go to the gym for hours every day for years consistantly at a time and still look the same. Some work harder then others and results show differently because of it.

  11. #31
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    15lbs of muscle .. with a proper trainer, proper diet, proper facility, proper schedule and regime.. not problem for a dude who's already naturally big..

    most you dudes have never seen a gym or trained for any kind of sport if you think its not possible. reason regular people can't do it is cuz its mad expensive and you have to basically make it your job.

  12. #32
    Raptors Republic Starter Fuchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He is now a beast, and will morph into Andre Borg within weeks. Why can't you guys see this!?

  13. #33
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,699
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fuchan wrote: View Post
    He is now a beast, and will morph into Andre Borg within weeks. Why can't you guys see this!?
    He just needs to shave his head and trim that beard in to a goatee

  14. #34
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    74
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just watched Bargnani play in Halifax and he actually looks great.....more muscle definition and was looking pretty explosive so I wouldn't worry about the weight

  15. #35
    Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,532
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote GoHuskies wrote: View Post
    Just watched Bargnani play in Halifax and he actually looks great.....more muscle definition and was looking pretty explosive so I wouldn't worry about the weight
    You were at the scrimmage? Any other thoughts? We can't wait back here.

  16. #36
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    74
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah went down to watch the scrimmage and was pleasantly surprised.......Davis played well and was much more aggressive and finished with a dd. Ross played good defense and dropped the few shots he took.....Fields shot was off but he was a factor on the floor and most of the time we t against Kleiza. Bargnani shot well, rebounded and as I said looked stronger.....the rest were as expected.....Derozan looked to be little more aggressive.......

  17. #37
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    that nigga looked quite slow, its the first preseason game so im not sounding the alarm just yet

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •