No announcement yet.

Who will be the 15th Raptor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both players (McGuire and Magloire) would make a decent 15th man.

McGuire would make a great practice squad guy for the real players to go up against. In game though I can't seem him being used all that much. We have young guys that need minutes. Also, we don't have the level of talent in the other 4 positions to sustain a one-dimensional player like McGuire. I remember with Reggie Evans you had to make up a lot of game because he was just so terrible at everything not related to rebounding. But he was an *exceptional* rebounder. I don't see McGuire as being an exceptional defender, so it'll be rare cases when you see him in game.

Magloire I see as a more valuable addition to the team given that he can contribute in games (in a pinch) and can coach during games and during practice. His vast knowledge and experience will be more valuable to the team than a journeyman defender who may or may not have anything else to his game other than that.

For that reason I voted Magloire.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

Sheptor wrote: View Post
      Wasn't there rumblings about Acy going down to D-League so he could actually play games. That would mean McGuire and Magloire both making it. Magloire can ride the pine in a suit all year, where as having Acy doing it is a waste of a development year.
      Unless the rules changed after the lockout I'm pretty sure sending players down to the D-League still counts against the 15 man roster. So one will still have to get cut.
      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

My feeling is that it will be Mcguire, I think Magloire will retire and then we'll put him on payroll as staff for player development. That's my vibe on things.
        i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Comment

I'd change my vote to McGuire if Magloire ends up on the payroll as a staff member. Those other two guys are not NBA players.
          your pal,
          ebrian

Comment

15 Man Roster

Who will be cut?

McGuire, McNeal, Wright or Magloire.

McGuire - I think the Raps need him more than the latter 3, he can provide the bench with some solid D and he can play 3 position of SF, PF, and C. A key veteran for the team in case one of Fields or Kleiza get injured during the season, he will be a solid backup for the team.

McNeal - I have never heard of him and it's a guarantee he will not be in the lineups when you have Ross and Anderson backing up DeRozan at the 2. So he's cut for sure, sorry buddy, maybe next season.

Wright - Haven't seen this guy play much but we have quite a few young athletic players for the Raps so there is no chance for him to ever scratch a spot on this team, would love to see him posting some dunks in the preseason though, this might give him a chance to showcase himself to other teams when the season starts, perhaps he could be pick up during the midseason.

Magloire - Locker room guy, he should really announce his retirement, perhaps something the management team can pull a trigger, give him a deal to dress in suits and provide veteran help and training buddy for Valanciunas.

So there you have it, our 2012-13 lineups would be

Lowry/Calderon/Lucas
            DeRozan/Ross/Anderson
            Fields/Kleiza/McGuire
            Bargs/Davis/Acy
            Val/Amir/Gray

With Acy going to the D-League, Magloire might just suit up and that will leave us with a 15 man roster. Cheers.

Comment

McGuire can't play C... He can play a little PF. He can guard PGs from what I've heard... Don't know where you're getting your info from.

If Acy gets sent to the D-League he still counts in the roster total, doesn't really solve anything.
              TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

You didn't see the thread that has been linked on the mainpage for a week?

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...he-15th-Raptor

Comment

That is not the Raptors’ concern. With the absence of such a supernova wing player, the Raptors brought in Dominic McGuire on a non-guaranteed contract. He will likely make the team, in no small part because of the shift to small: You need a player that can plausibly run with those players on the wing and muscle up with them in the paint.

“I don’t think anybody’s going to stop Carmelo or LeBron,” Casey said. “But we’ve got some people who can stay in front of them and contain them and give some resistance.

“[McGuire] is a tough guy. He talks on defence. He takes pride in guarding his position. He’s a utility guy. A guy like that can have a long career in the league, doing that, guarding [shooting guards, small forwards or power forwards] and taking pride in it. He cannot play a whole game and come in and then … give us some valuable minutes.”

Every team needs a Swiss Army Knife, at least for defensive purposes.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...anging-styles/
                  Looks like it will be McGuire.

Comment

15th Raptor will not be McNeal:

After the game the Raptors released former Marquette guard Jerel McNeal, who did not play against the Bucks.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/175333971.html

Comment

Both Wright and McNeal were waived:

The Toronto Raptors announced Monday they have waived guard Jerel McNeal and forward Chris Wright.

McNeal saw action in one preseason outing, while Wright was a DNP-CD for all six games.

The roster now stands at 16. The Raptors continue their preseason schedule Friday at Memphis (8 p.m. ET). Toronto opens the 2012-13 season at home Oct. 31 versus Indiana (7 p.m. ET).

http://blog.raptors.com/press-releas...mcneal-wright/
                      That leaves McGuire and Magloire. Magloire will probably be next.

Comment

The SI Point Forward blog has had several positive tidbits about the Raptors recently. They just wrote an article listing the top minimum salary players in the league and our own (potentially) Dominic McGuire:

Dominic McGuire, Toronto Raptors
                        2012-2013 Salary: $992,680

There’s no way to sugarcoat this one: Dominic McGuire is an absolutely abysmal offensive player who hurts his team’s scoring efforts while on the floor. He makes Jared Jeffries look like a dominant finisher by comparison and has absolutely no range. He works the offensive glass relatively well and does a better job with the ball than you might expect, but his inability to provide any sort of offensive threat makes it remarkably difficult to for coaches to include him in typical lineups.

He’s a role player who can be far more trouble than he’s worth, and yet his defensive versatility is alluring enough to warrant a roster spot and some consideration. He’s that capable, if only on one side of the ball. But if players across the league can get by as competent scorers but miserable defenders, why can’t McGuire find his way as an atrocious offensive player with a dynamic defensive game? Players with McGuire’s size (6-foot-9), mobility and instincts are hard to come by, and though the jury’s still out on whether he could take on a bigger role in the right setting, it’d be fascinating to see a curious coach someday give him a try.
                        Link: http://nba.si.com/2012/10/23/nba-min...r_a5&eref=sihp
                        http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
                          The SI Point Forward blog has had several positive tidbits about the Raptors recently. They just wrote an article listing the top minimum salary players in the league and our own (potentially) Dominic McGuire:

Link: http://nba.si.com/2012/10/23/nba-min...r_a5&eref=sihp
                          NIce link.

I've been very surprised by McGuire in limited minutes on the offensive end. He can leap and finish with authority. He has had a couple of nice passes. If you remember and accept what he is, he is a very valuable player in my opinion.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            NIce link.

I've been very surprised by McGuire in limited minutes on the offensive end. He can leap and finish with authority. He has had a couple of nice passes. If you remember and accept what he is, he is a very valuable player in my opinion.
                            He could be a true lockdown defender version of J.Johnson, who actually knows/accepts his role and doesn't try to force a non-existent offensive game. I would be quite happy with that out of a 11-15th man on the roster.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              He could be a true lockdown defender version of J.Johnson, who actually knows/accepts his role and doesn't try to force a non-existent offensive game. I would be quite happy with that out of a 11-15th man on the roster.
                              Yeah, I've been meaning to make a thread about that very topic. McGuire is exactly what the Raptors wanted JJ to be. It seems (read: speculation on my part) that he thought he could contribute more. Clearly Casey (and eventually the front office) thought different. The lack of talent on previous rosters probably made JJ feel he was better than he actually was relative to the league.

Anyways, that is just my opinion. To all the JJ fans know I picked him in a fantasy league!

Comment

JJ is all sad in Sac town now. I feel sorry for the dude, hopefully he has a decent career

Comment

Working...
                                X