View Poll Results: Who will be the 15th Raptor?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chris Wright

0 0%
  • Jamaal Magloire

9 18.75%
  • Dominic McGuire

35 72.92%
  • Jerel McNeal

0 0%
  • No one! Keep it free for F-L-E-X-I-B-I-L-I-T-Y!!

4 8.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who will be the 15th Raptor?

Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

McGuire can't play C... He can play a little PF. He can guard PGs from what I've heard... Don't know where you're getting your info from.

If Acy gets sent to the D-League he still counts in the roster total, doesn't really solve anything.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You didn't see the thread that has been linked on the mainpage for a week?

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...he-15th-Raptor

Post Thanks / Like

That is not the Raptors’ concern. With the absence of such a supernova wing player, the Raptors brought in Dominic McGuire on a non-guaranteed contract. He will likely make the team, in no small part because of the shift to small: You need a player that can plausibly run with those players on the wing and muscle up with them in the paint.

“I don’t think anybody’s going to stop Carmelo or LeBron,” Casey said. “But we’ve got some people who can stay in front of them and contain them and give some resistance.

“[McGuire] is a tough guy. He talks on defence. He takes pride in guarding his position. He’s a utility guy. A guy like that can have a long career in the league, doing that, guarding [shooting guards, small forwards or power forwards] and taking pride in it. He cannot play a whole game and come in and then … give us some valuable minutes.”

Every team needs a Swiss Army Knife, at least for defensive purposes.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...anging-styles/
    Looks like it will be McGuire.

Post Thanks / Like

15th Raptor will not be McNeal:

After the game the Raptors released former Marquette guard Jerel McNeal, who did not play against the Bucks.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/175333971.html

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Both Wright and McNeal were waived:

The Toronto Raptors announced Monday they have waived guard Jerel McNeal and forward Chris Wright.

McNeal saw action in one preseason outing, while Wright was a DNP-CD for all six games.

The roster now stands at 16. The Raptors continue their preseason schedule Friday at Memphis (8 p.m. ET). Toronto opens the 2012-13 season at home Oct. 31 versus Indiana (7 p.m. ET).

http://blog.raptors.com/press-releas...mcneal-wright/
    That leaves McGuire and Magloire. Magloire will probably be next.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The SI Point Forward blog has had several positive tidbits about the Raptors recently. They just wrote an article listing the top minimum salary players in the league and our own (potentially) Dominic McGuire:

Dominic McGuire, Toronto Raptors
    2012-2013 Salary: $992,680

There’s no way to sugarcoat this one: Dominic McGuire is an absolutely abysmal offensive player who hurts his team’s scoring efforts while on the floor. He makes Jared Jeffries look like a dominant finisher by comparison and has absolutely no range. He works the offensive glass relatively well and does a better job with the ball than you might expect, but his inability to provide any sort of offensive threat makes it remarkably difficult to for coaches to include him in typical lineups.

He’s a role player who can be far more trouble than he’s worth, and yet his defensive versatility is alluring enough to warrant a roster spot and some consideration. He’s that capable, if only on one side of the ball. But if players across the league can get by as competent scorers but miserable defenders, why can’t McGuire find his way as an atrocious offensive player with a dynamic defensive game? Players with McGuire’s size (6-foot-9), mobility and instincts are hard to come by, and though the jury’s still out on whether he could take on a bigger role in the right setting, it’d be fascinating to see a curious coach someday give him a try.
    Link: http://nba.si.com/2012/10/23/nba-min...r_a5&eref=sihp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Shantz wrote: View Post
    The SI Point Forward blog has had several positive tidbits about the Raptors recently. They just wrote an article listing the top minimum salary players in the league and our own (potentially) Dominic McGuire:

Link: http://nba.si.com/2012/10/23/nba-min...r_a5&eref=sihp
    NIce link.

I've been very surprised by McGuire in limited minutes on the offensive end. He can leap and finish with authority. He has had a couple of nice passes. If you remember and accept what he is, he is a very valuable player in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    NIce link.

I've been very surprised by McGuire in limited minutes on the offensive end. He can leap and finish with authority. He has had a couple of nice passes. If you remember and accept what he is, he is a very valuable player in my opinion.
    He could be a true lockdown defender version of J.Johnson, who actually knows/accepts his role and doesn't try to force a non-existent offensive game. I would be quite happy with that out of a 11-15th man on the roster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    He could be a true lockdown defender version of J.Johnson, who actually knows/accepts his role and doesn't try to force a non-existent offensive game. I would be quite happy with that out of a 11-15th man on the roster.
    Yeah, I've been meaning to make a thread about that very topic. McGuire is exactly what the Raptors wanted JJ to be. It seems (read: speculation on my part) that he thought he could contribute more. Clearly Casey (and eventually the front office) thought different. The lack of talent on previous rosters probably made JJ feel he was better than he actually was relative to the league.

Anyways, that is just my opinion. To all the JJ fans know I picked him in a fantasy league!

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

JJ is all sad in Sac town now. I feel sorry for the dude, hopefully he has a decent career

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    JJ is all sad in Sac town now. I feel sorry for the dude, hopefully he has a decent career
    Why is he sad?

I wouldn't feel too bad for him.

Agreed on his best wishes.

Post Thanks / Like

.............and the winner is McGuire!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Why is he sad?

I wouldn't feel too bad for him.

Agreed on his best wishes.
    Because he's stuck on like the worst team in the league. They are going no where

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Because he's stuck on like the worst team in the league. They are going no where
    That is his own doing though..... and he is getting paid a few million.

Still not feeling bad for him.

Still wishing him the best.

Post Thanks / Like

That is his own doing though..... and he is getting paid a few million.

Still not feeling bad for him.

Still wishing him the best.
    I guess so. He'll probably try going crazy on us like he does against the bulls lol
    ...I wonder if he'll do that to every team that trades him

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sactown is the worst team in the league? with T-Rob, Cousins, Tyreke, and Thornton? They've got very decent core pieces, not much less than we have. They're just younger and play in the West. I don't think they're the worst team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    Sactown is the worst team in the league? with T-Rob, Cousins, Tyreke, and Thornton? They've got very decent core pieces, not much less than we have. They're just younger and play in the West. I don't think they're the worst team.
    Sure they have ok pieces but they don't play a lick of defense

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information