Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Royce White's Anxiety - Already a Problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royce White's Anxiety - Already a Problem.

I feel for the kid. All he wants to do is play basketball, but his damn brain won't let him.

Before he's willing to start training camp, Houston Rockets rookie Royce White wants the team's permission to travel to some games by private bus, the former Iowa State star told ESPN.com on Wednesday night.

White, who missed the team's media day on Monday and the start of training camp in McAllen, Texas, on Tuesday, said he hopes to reach an agreement with the team soon. He said he expects to join his teammates within "a week," if talks with the Rockets continue to progress.

"What it's going to look like is every game that's drivable, I'm going to get a bus for myself," White said. "And I'm going to make that bus feel like home so that there's a level of consistency in a job where inconsistency is very apparent because of the schedule. I'm going to try and level that out and make sure that my stress levels stay low and that my rest is regular and that my meals are regular and that as much as I can, draw consistency from a very inconsistent schedule. ...

"People with mental illness, one of the most important things is that they have that consistency and routine. The girth of (my request) was, 'Can I travel by bus to close enough games?' "

Earlier Wednesday, White released a statement that detailed his refusal to join the team until a plan to address his "long-term health" was in place.

"There are often negative consequences to mental illness when not given the proper support," said White, according to a statement released through his publicist, California-based China Myers. "Often, those consequences are more severe for the surrounding people than the sufferer him/herself. I am not willing to allow those consequences to befall on myself or others close to me.

"It causes me anxiety to know that serious consequences could happen if I do not express what I deal with, or if I am not truthful enough to ask for what I need to be healthy. For me, hiding is no longer a healthy option in treating my anxiety or OCD, so I have asked for some help from the organization to ensure long-term health for myself.

"It has been determined that without a specific plan in place, the current workplace is not healthy for me. I feel that it is essential to formulate the right plan for a better chance of execution, despite other timelines or agendas. The most important agenda to me is a plan that is healthy. Therefore, a plan has been requested that will support a healthy work environment. In addition to this, it has been requested that the standard requirements for players in regards to this plan be voided because it is not a standard situation.

"It is regrettable that I cannot be currently present, but long-term health obviously should be the most important thing. I will continue to champion the cause for mental illness being met with understanding; if not, the ramifications are dangerous.

"Mental illness is a very individual-based disorder -- very unique for each person. So for those who come forward and ask for help, a very unique support plan should be the solution, given the nature of mental illness.

"No blame is being placed on the Rockets organization."

White said he's unsure if he'll start training camp sans a written agreement with the team.

Source
    Good for him. I mean it sucks for the Rockets, but they chose him knowing what they were getting into. He's just looking out for #1.
    Last edited by Joey; Thu Oct 4, 2012, 01:30 PM.

I am betting that he really ignored certain aspects of his individual reality when he declared for the draft. Only after he was drafted, and more to the point, only after training camp was just a few weeks away did he sit down and realize what it would mean. I am betting that if he declared for the draft and included a statement that said he was going to require permission to bus it to as many games as possible and was looking for a written commitment from whoever drafted him, he would not have gone where he did.

I mean, all of this could have been dealt with a month ago. Not reporting to camp like this, essentially holding them ransom, is a hell of a way to start his career.

Comment

Its sad to see what he has to go through, and the possibility that he is risking his career over a mental illness like this.

We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
        Its sad to see what he has to go through, and the possibility that he is risking his career over a mental illness like this.
        I think I know what you're trying to say and I would just like to comment on the "risking his career over a mental illness like this".

The number of people with serious mental illnesses who end up dead (often by suicide) or in the streets at a young age is staggering, at least here in the US. I think Royce Clayton is doing the right thing to give himself a chance to survive life in the NBA. He may be putting millions at risk by making such a stand but let's not forget there are leagues in other countries that pay well and where traveling does involve very little to no air travel.

I do hope he makes it in the NBA and that his challenges will be well documented.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
          I think I know what you're trying to say and I would just like to comment on the "risking his career over a mental illness like this".

The number of people with serious mental illnesses who end up dead (often by suicide) or in the streets at a young age is staggering, at least here in the US. I think Royce Clayton is doing the right thing to give himself a chance to survive life in the NBA. He may be putting millions at risk by making such a stand but let's not forget there are leagues in other countries that pay well and where traveling does involve very little to no air travel.

I do hope he makes it in the NBA and that his challenges will be well documented.
          Wrong Royce haha

But I agree with your sentiment.
          The guys gotta look after himself before he can worry about going out and entertaining thousands of fans.

Comment

I never thought about it like that.. In reality he isnt risking his career if he doesnt get treatment hes risking his life. I am really pulling for him. I'd love to see him overcome this one day and show his true potential.
            We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Ambidextrious wrote: View Post

Thanks for posting this video Ambi. Gives some great insight into what he's going through.

There's no denying his talent though.
              (I love how he says he's out performed Anthony Davis and MKG. Now thats confidence!)

Comment

this dude is a wicked passer. Its insane the types of passes he makes, idk why but when i look at him he reminds me of james johnson. Not his style of play or anything i think its just the way he looks and the similar body type. Anyway mad props to this dude for coming out and playing in the nba despite his illness

Comment

I'll be the first to admit I find alot of the discussion about mental illnesses these days (depression, OCD, ADHD, anxiety etc) is hokum. Don't get me wrong, I think people do have these illnesses and with them come serious consequences. However alot of the diagnosis' are easily thrown around, which in turn does a disservice to those who do have issues and are trying to over come them.

So I can't help but read White's peice, and see the failure of an individual to step up and face his fears - which in turn reinforces and justifies the 'mental illness'. I don't buy for a second his career in basketball to date could have in anyways been 'consistent' enough. Exactly how did he get through march madness?

I hear - "I'm scared of flying, and I'm unwilling to do it, but I don't want to lose my million dollar career, so let me take the bus or I'll use the disorder/mental illness card"

But then again I'm not a doctor.

Comment

love royce white. the stuff he struggles with is staggering, though. hope he can figure things out.

he probably would have been a top 5 pick if not for his anxiety issues.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                      I hear - "I'm scared of flying, and I'm unwilling to do it, but I don't want to lose my million dollar career, so let me take the bus or I'll use the disorder/mental illness card"
                      I'm also not a Doctor.

I was on a cheap flight from London to Berlin a few weeks ago. There was a young women in the row in front of me, with obviously very severe flight anxiety, she was yelping, cowering, crying, and very clearly suffering. But she made it. She was traveling alone, and probably not getting paid millions of dollars to do so. I've got to believe that if this young woman could do it, so can White.

But on the other hand, let him take a bus if wants, why not, so long as he makes the games and performs, I wouldn't care if he traveled by camel.

Comment

take off and landing, i shake and fidget and need to breathe slowly. if that's all he is dealing with i think he needs to man up but if he really has a crippling "marge simpson" like fear it could be an issue.

i agree with the posters who commented that this is not the time to be airing this out. i also speculate he probably said he could learn to live with it prior to the draft during interviews or downplayed it. made himself millions already of guarenteed money. i would hope there was a way for houston to get out of his contract and not be strong armed.

the issue with the bus is now he isn't around his coach or the veterans nearly as often. might miss practices. pretty sure the east to west coast trip is a long one so maybe games if its a back to back.

i am a big of his game. shoots, passes dribbles and he is big. great combo i just hope he didnt or his agent didnt misrepresent the issues so they could con a team into a guarenteed contract for 4 years. that sounds like fraud to me.

Comment

And now he's in the D-League. Shame.
                          Him and Management are really going at it down there. Wouldn't be surprised if they moved him ... but who would take him?!

D-League might be a good thing though ... they take buses EVERYWHERE in the D-League ... Haha

Comment

I know there is more to RW's anxiety disorder than fear of flying but I believe riding buses is what they do in the D League.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              And now he's in the D-League. Shame.
                              Him and Management are really going at it down there. Wouldn't be surprised if they moved him ... but who would take him?!

D-League might be a good thing though ... they take buses EVERYWHERE in the D-League ... Haha
                              Royce White may be very difficult to move. The guy is really talented but his condition is serious and teams which already passed the opportunity to draft him are unlikely to look upon him as a less risky proposition after this latest incident.

From the little I have read, both sides are just posturing and neither has crossed the line just yet.

I am of the opinion time in the D-League which he can use to adapt to a professional schedule minus the flights may do him good. I want him to succeed in a professional league, even if it's not the NBA.

Comment

Working...
                              X