This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skywalker wrote: View Post
    I have a thought about the auction draft... should all 16 teams start with $200 budget??

There are 3 teams that need only 1 player, and there are some teams that need 5, 6 or even 7 players!

Just a thought but could we arrange it so the 'money' we have to spend is related to how many players we need to pick up? For example if team A needs 1 player, his budget is $25. If Team B needs 4 players, his budget is more?

I just think about the teams who only need one or 2 players can afford to spend WAY more on each player than those of us who have 5 or more spots to fill (which is 7 of us). Thoughts? Would this even be an issue?
    I think everyone should get $200 (or whatever other arbitrary amount).

The key to a Dynasty League, in my opinion, is creating advantages from year to year within the system. If someone has 13 players under contract, as an example, that would be the equivalent to a team creating $45M in cap space while already having a max player under contract, as another example.

Everyone is working within the same rules and if someone has created an advantage in one area of the rules, more power to them.

Same goes for cap years, waiver wire, trades, etc. etc.

The onus is on team managers/owners to be aware of the rules of our CBA.

Comment

• coastal wrote: View Post
      I'm pretty sure I can't make that draft time. We're going to be away for the weekend. I'll check whether the cottage we're going to has internet.
      I'm pretty sure we're never going to please everyone with a time. In the end some people might have to set their auto-draft up with their own settings.

We could go back to a FAAB style draft as well. People were asking how this would work: Same as normal waiver wire.
      - People place bids over set time period.
      - highest bid gets player
      - tie goes to waiver wire priority
      - after time period elapses, people fill out roster with whoever is left as all remaining players are unrestricted free agents and add/drop will be immediate.

To be honest, I think the FAAB style (ie. blindfold bidding) will work better than live auction. You have the element of the unknown (i.e. will you get the player you bid on and will your roster be filled out).

Personally I would vote for FAAB for free agency but majority seems to have spoken for auction.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        The key to a Dynasty League, in my opinion, is creating advantages from year to year within the system. .
        Totally agree with you here Matt. But the key statement is 'within the system'. And if we do an auction (which i am in favor of), we've actually changed the system. Basically nothing i did or didn't do last year could prepare me for a change i didn't know was coming.

Up until recently, the next step after the draft was going to be that we would have to have x number of dollars for free agency. That money was meant to be used not only to get new players now (after draft/before season), but also throughout the entire season. Therefore, no one would spend all free agency money before the season started (unless they were ok with NO waiver wire pick ups for the entire season!). They would have to maintain a contingency of sorts.

For me, had i known we were going to proceed this way, i would have just signed Ariza to a 1 year contract (who i dropped) because he's in the top 30-40 players remaining (IMO) and then had more money/player in the auction.

2 cents.

Comment

Totally agree with you here Matt. But the key statement is 'within the system'. And if we do an auction (which i am in favor of), we've actually changed the system. Basically nothing i did or didn't do last year could prepare me for a change i didn't know was coming.

Up until recently, the next step after the draft was going to be that we would have to have x number of dollars for free agency. That money was meant to be used not only to get new players now (after draft/before season), but also throughout the entire season. Therefore, no one would spend all free agency money before the season started (unless they were ok with NO waiver wire pick ups for the entire season!). They would have to maintain a contingency of sorts.

For me, had i known we were going to proceed this way, i would have just signed Ariza to a 1 year contract (who i dropped) because he's in the top 30-40 players remaining (IMO) and then had more money/player in the auction.

2 cents.
          All fair points which is why I would prefer to go waiver wire free agency/FAAB.

Comment

2 cents.
            The other option is to do live draft and at end of draft however much money you have left is allocated to yiu on waiver wire. Commish can do that I just checked.

Personally I like this best. Easiest to set up and don't lose original rules.

Comment

I'm pretty sure we're never going to please everyone with a time. In the end some people might have to set their auto-draft up with their own settings.

We could go back to a FAAB style draft as well. People were asking how this would work: Same as normal waiver wire.
              - People place bids over set time period.
              - highest bid gets player
              - tie goes to waiver wire priority
              - after time period elapses, people fill out roster with whoever is left as all remaining players are unrestricted free agents and add/drop will be immediate.

To be honest, I think the FAAB style (ie. blindfold bidding) will work better than live auction. You have the element of the unknown (i.e. will you get the player you bid on and will your roster be filled out).

Personally I would vote for FAAB for free agency but majority seems to have spoken for auction.
              This would be my preference as well. The only thing with this that isn't great is the one shot deal aspect of it.

Could we do FAAB waiver for 2 days, then lock the rosters for say 12 hours, then repeat the process for a few days (waiver, lock, waiver, lock)?

This would eliminate the problem of all 16 guys available at the same time, and it wouldn't favour to the person who can be online at the exact moment the waiver period ends (which is more of a problem with a nation-wide pool). Keeps everyone on equal footing, but allows for some strategic thinking (choosing to go after the 2nd tier guys, instead of battling for the top guys and possibly missing out on both; very similar to how free agency can work, look at Dallas this year).

I've never done either FAAB or Auction, so I'm not coming from experience, so perhaps I'm completely wrong on what is even possible.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                Thanks for the quick response on the draft suggestion guys. With 9 draft approvals, we will likely go ahead with the Auction idea, however I will wait a little to see if any other suggestions come forward. Also, as Mack said, with the draft idea the only real problem being that we now have to find a time and date that works for everyone. Open to suggestions on that as well.

1. $200

2. No. There is a seperate waiver budget for in-season acquisitions. I suppose we could carry it over, as that would add a little bit of realism to the 'draft'/FA period, but I would have to explore how to do that with Yahoo.
                Commish Tools
                then Acquisition Budgets under Team Management

Comment

• Hey,

Just thinking about everyone's suggestions and comments combined with original CBA rules combined with Yahoo! tools combined with (and most importantly!) ease of implementation.

This is what I am thinking for free agency:

Draft Type: Live Auction draft
                  Why? Immediate/fastest, everyone can participate, people who can't make it can pre-set their preferences through auto-draft, there are also apps for drafting (last year I drafted on my cell phone in one of the most remote places in Canada), easiest for commissioners to implement

Free agency budget: $200
                  Why? Fair and sticks to original CBA/rules

Waiver wire budget for inseason: remainder of $200 after free agency
                  Why? Fair, sticks to original CBA/rules, offers realism, rewards prudent/punishes free and easy, can do this through Yahoo!

If you agree, just give me a thumbs up/Like this post. 8 thumbs up is majority rule (as I thumbs up myself) giving 9/16.

If you disagree, give an alternative. Regardless of which way we go, the $200 should be for free agency AND in-season waiver wire.
                  Last edited by mcHAPPY; Mon Oct 14, 2013, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                    This would be my preference as well. The only thing with this that isn't great is the one shot deal aspect of it.

Could we do FAAB waiver for 2 days, then lock the rosters for say 12 hours, then repeat the process for a few days (waiver, lock, waiver, lock)?

This would eliminate the problem of all 16 guys available at the same time, and it wouldn't favour to the person who can be online at the exact moment the waiver period ends (which is more of a problem with a nation-wide pool). Keeps everyone on equal footing, but allows for some strategic thinking (choosing to go after the 2nd tier guys, instead of battling for the top guys and possibly missing out on both; very similar to how free agency can work, look at Dallas this year).

I've never done either FAAB or Auction, so I'm not coming from experience, so perhaps I'm completely wrong on what is even possible.
                    For time purposes, the live auction draft for free agency can't be beat.

If we go FAAB, then I like your suggestion about locking, waiver, locking, waiver, etc. The problem is we are 2 weeks to tip off and the amount of time for commissioners to be setting things up. Also at some point in time teams are going to be unlocked and someone will have an advantage looking at the add/drop (they will be immediate with UFA). If a live auction is done then everyone knows their players and a couple of days later we can unlock with everyone having a full roster - again, someone is always going to have an advantage on the unlocking of the teams.

Comment

Hey,

Just thinking about everyone's suggestions and comments combined with original CBA rules combined with Yahoo! tools combined with (and most importantly!) ease of implementation.

This is what I am thinking for free agency:

Draft Type: Live Auction draft
                      Why? Immediate/fastest, everyone can participate, people who can't make it can pre-set their preferences through auto-draft, there are also apps for drafting (last year I drafted on my cell phone in one of the most remote places in Canada), easiest for commissioners to implement

Free agency budget: $200
                      Why? Fair and sticks to original CBA/rules

Waiver wire budget for inseason: remainder of $200 after free agency
                      Why? Fair, sticks to original CBA/rules, offers realism, rewards prudent/punishes free and easy, can do this through Yahoo!

If you agree, just give me a thumbs up. 8 thumbs up is majority rule (as I thumbs up myself) giving 9/16.

If you disagree, give an alternative. Regardless of which way we go, the $200 should be for free agency AND in-season waiver wire.
                      Thumbs-up #2
                      RR OG

Comment

• James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
                        Thumbs-up #2
                        Sorry, should have said click "Like this post"....

..... unless you are on a cell phone and in which case we'll count yours!

Comment

• Im down with Matt's suggestions. And Sunday the 27th at Noon Eastern is great. Anything later will cut into NFL time, and nobody(ME!!!!) wants that.

Comment

• Since Trey Burke is out 3-6 weeks(hopefully that's all), I should get another rookie to replace him hehehehe

J/K but that sucks... He was being projected as ROY.

Comment

• How many years are Fully's rookies being signed for? I want to post an updated cap sheet prior to the draft and he's the only one I'm missing. Also, nothing has been posted about Kadazzle's free agents/rookie or did I miss something?
                              Last edited by tucas; Mon Oct 14, 2013, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• After seeing who is left for free agents, I wouldn't mind using my draft pick... too late?
                                “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                                ― John Wooden

Comment

Working...
                                X