This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Apologies if you missed this Soft Euro, but from what I can remember, it has been in the rules since Day 1.
    Well, if you are correct, and you probably are, you don't have to apologize; it just reinforces the (among my friends) broadly accepted notion that I'm a big idiot. Can't believe I missed that; pretty mad at myself. So, my apologies. Disregard my remark please.

Comment

@tucas: for your own administration: your captotal so far, for 14 players, isn't 35 but 34.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        I always liked it because it was just like the NBA and creates a soft cap. Now if we could just get some MLE and mini-MLE plus a bi-annual exception!
        Hahah Hmm that would be cool!.. but probably a little too complicated.
        Though I think it would be cool if we could maybe look at having it so every year the Cap is Marginally Increased (1 extra year, every year) like the NBA Cap is increased?

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
        Can't believe I missed that; pretty mad at myself.
        Don't beat yourself up man. At least YOU have an established excuse early on, for when I win it all this year... Ahem .. snap.

Comment

@LilRomeo: you forgot giving Carlos Delfino a contract; for now I have him at 1 year (I'm preparing the spreadsheet), briging your total for 14 players up to 40; I, think, but am not sure this is within the rules for your initial roster, Apollo or Joey might be able to comment on that.

Comment

@LilRomeo: you forgot giving Carlos Delfino a contract; for now I have him 1 year (I'm preparing the spreadsheet), briging your total for 14 players up to 40; I, think, but am not sure this is within the rules for your initial roster, Apollo or Joey might be able to comment on that.
            As I understand it, you need space to sign someone to fill that 15th spot.
            Romeo will need to adjust his numbers accordingly.

Comment

How are you setting up the Spreadsheet Euro?

As I'm laying my Contracts, its occured to me that, as the years go on, say I sign Chris Paul to 6 years; that 6 years won't go down to 5 next year, and 4 the year after .. it will remain at 6 for the entire 6 years yes?

We should be keeping close track of when these contracts are signed, and therefore expire. Right now its fairly easy, but once we start signing players mid year, to three year contracts, it could get dicey...
              Or maybe I'm just in panic-mode, as I'm realizing the complexity of this league. Hah.

Comment

Don't beat yourself up man. At least YOU have an established excuse early on, for when I win it all this year... Ahem .. snap.
                For now, I'm not too worried about your team, you only outclass me at sf (and by a big margin), but that's it. Btw, did you see what one of your centers did yesterday? Robin Lopez, in his first preseason game? 0/4 from the field, 3 rebounds, 4 turnovers and a -22 in 22 minutes in a game they lost by 5 points. He's going to lead you straight to the lottery!

Comment

How are you setting up the Spreadsheet Euro?

As I'm laying my Contracts, its occured to me that, as the years go on, say I sign Chris Paul to 6 years; that 6 years won't go down to 5 next year, and 4 the year after .. it will remain at 6 for the entire 6 years yes?

We should be keeping close track of when these contracts are signed, and therefore expire. Right now its fairly easy, but once we start signing players mid year, to three year contracts, it could get dicey...
                  Or maybe I'm just in panic-mode, as I'm realizing the complexity of this league. Hah.
                  The sheet is ready, I just have to copy the data. If you sign someone for 6 years, he'll have 5 years left after the season. Apollo, you or me can just lower the contracts after the year. I'm working under the assumption that if you sign someone during the year, his first contractyear is just for the remainder of th season. So if you sign someone in January for 3 years, he'll have 2 years left after the season. Contracts don't expire mid season in the nba either.

Comment

For now, I'm not too worried about your team, you only outclass me at sf (and by a big margin), but that's it. Btw, did you see what one of your centers did yesterday? Robin Lopez, in his first preseason game? 0/4 from the field, 3 rebounds, 4 turnovers and a -22 in 22 minutes in a game they lost by 5 points. He's going to lead you straight to the lottery!
                    Hahaha Oh its on. Talking trash about Shaqs second favourite Center in the league??

Comment

If you sign someone for 6 years, he'll have 5 years left after the season. Apollo, you or me can just lower the contracts after the year.
                      5 years left, yes, but should still count 6 against the cap, no? Chris Paul should count 6 years against my Cap for that entirety of his Contract; as it is in real life. Otherwise, based on the opposite, we will all have an extra 15 years, every year, (as every player would count 1-less than they did the year before) to sign only a few free agents, all of whom will likely be bit players.

Comment

@LilRomeo: you forgot giving Carlos Delfino a contract; for now I have him at 1 year (I'm preparing the spreadsheet), briging your total for 14 players up to 40; I, think, but am not sure this is within the rules for your initial roster, Apollo or Joey might be able to comment on that.
                        I'm not sure you can do that until Friday. But for now, I just included Delfino on my spreadsheet at 1 year and that makes my overall team at 40. Thanks for reminding.

Comment

Can we get a clarification on how the years count? Is it diminishing as SoftEuro has said or is it constant as Joey has said.

Also, can we have until the deadline on the 12th to make some roster adjustments without any cap implications?

Finally, when are rosters no longer locked?

Thanks.

*EDIT*

2nd and 3rd questions have been answered.

Free agency/add-cuts starts after the 12th.
                          Rosters unlocked after the 12th.
                          Last edited by mcHAPPY; Mon Oct 8, 2012, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Q&A:

Well, if you are correct, and you probably are, you don't have to apologize; it just reinforces the (among my friends) broadly accepted notion that I'm a big idiot. Can't believe I missed that; pretty mad at myself. So, my apologies. Disregard my remark please.
                            Also, one trick you all can do if you see someone on the WW you like and think you'd like to maybe sign and re-sign in the off-season: submit a cap of less than forty. This way when you offer a contract you're not offering a one year exception and thus he will be eligible to be re-signed in the off-season. I already have some potential targets on my radar and I am entering the FA period with a cap of 39 with one free roster spot.

As I understand it, you need space to sign someone to fill that 15th spot.
                            Romeo will need to adjust his numbers accordingly.
                            No, you need space if you wish to be able re-sign him in the off-season(ie: if you signed Jeremy Lin last season and you were one below cap then you have his rights but if you signed him and your cap was already at least at 40 you will lose him at the end of the season and would be forced to bid on him in the fall). There is no rule that you must sign all 15 players you acquire via the initial start up auction. There is no rule you must sign all 15 players within your cap. There are consequences to not staying within cap though: any waiver gems you find become unrestricted FA's at the end of the season.

The sheet is ready, I just have to copy the data. If you sign someone for 6 years, he'll have 5 years left after the season. Apollo, you or me can just lower the contracts after the year. I'm working under the assumption that if you sign someone during the year, his first contractyear is just for the remainder of th season. So if you sign someone in January for 3 years, he'll have 2 years left after the season. Contracts don't expire mid season in the nba either.
                            Thanks for helping use with this. To update next years cap it's a simply replace all values command. It may be tedious but it'll work. What we need to do throughout the year is indicated which players on roster are unrestricted. This can be a monthly process that I can take care of or we can share it. After everyone is capped we can let it go autopilot for the rest of the year as long as we've noted all restricted players when all teams go capped.

LilRomeo wrote: View Post
                            I'm not sure you can do that until Friday. But for now, I just included Delfino on my spreadsheet at 1 year and that makes my overall team at 40. Thanks for reminding.
                            Actually I think any missed players should be listed has having no contract value(no contract value means they must be cut after Friday). Its the responsibility of each manager to look after their own roster and not miss anything.

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Can we get a clarification on how the years count? Is it diminishing as SoftEuro has said or is it constant as Joey has said.
                            Diminishing. Anthony Davis is listed as 6 on my team this year. Next year he's listed as 5, four years later he's up for contract. Years represent how long you're allocating them to your team. The only way he could be a 6 each year would be if we allowed one contract extension per year. I proposed this a couple pages back but no one has responded to the idea.

Comment

@tucas: for your own administration: your captotal so far, for 14 players, isn't 35 but 34.
                              Even better. Thanks for noticing that.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post

Diminishing. Anthony Davis is listed as 6 on my team this year. Next year he's listed as 5, four years later he's up for contract. Years represent how long you're allocating them to your team. The only way he could be a 6 each year would be if we allowed one contract extension per year. I proposed this a couple pages back but no one has responded to the idea.
                                Thanks.

As for your proposal, I'm fine with whatever. To make it more 'real' we could say any player who is signed for 4 or more seasons is eligible for an extension after year 3.

Didn't you also have a proposal (or was it concrete) about the option to sign up to 2 of your own free agents each year?

Comment

Working...
                                X