Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast

Thread: RR NBA Dynasty League - S1

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Kadazzle wrote: View Post
    Quick question. I'm looking at the cap sheet, and a lot of people have three or more players who are signed for 4 years. Assuming we can't sign players to extensions, and you can only resign two restricted free-agents, won't that mean that 4 years from now, there will be a lot of elite players hitting free-agency? For example, if I'm interpreting it right, I would only be allowed to sign two of LaMarcus Aldridge, Danilo Galinari, and Rajon Rondo. Apollo would only be allowed to sign two of Dion Waiters, Anthony Davis, and Marc Gasol. Drizz would only be allowed to keep two of Brandon Jennings, Paul Millsap, DeMarcus Cousins, and Al Horford. The same thing would happen to SKYWALKERS and The Coach in year three, rather than year four. Shouldn't you be allowed to retain your best players, rather than being forced to let one, or in some cases two, of them go?
    A dynasty league should be a strategy game. The limits to the cap and the restrictions to resignings are meant to force managers to make choices. Apollo decided on these particular rules and there has been quite some discussion about it in the thread(s) before the season started. I, in particular, have held some discussions about the number of contract years allowed (before I joined as assistant commisioner to support Joey and Apollo).

These particular rules cannot be changed because they are too much at the heart of the league (in my opinion). People have based their initial strategy on those rules.

Four, or five at the start of this finished season, is a very long time. If those players all are still very productive, those managers will probably try to trade those players for players with different contracts (at least that's what they should do). There are lots of years left to try to get a good deal. In this aspect it is no different than when teams in the nba can, for one reason or another, not re-sign a player > see Harden, Williams, Howard or ... Bosh.

If you want to make sure you can keep your good players you have plan ahead, the cap is just low enough that you have to make some choices here and/or have to be active in trades and high enough to be able to keep a lot of your core for a very long time.

2. Like koncept, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick question. I'm looking at the cap sheet, and a lot of people have three or more players who are signed for 4 years. Assuming we can't sign players to extensions, and you can only resign two restricted free-agents, won't that mean that 4 years from now, there will be a lot of elite players hitting free-agency? For example, if I'm interpreting it right, I would only be allowed to sign two of LaMarcus Aldridge, Danilo Galinari, and Rajon Rondo. Apollo would only be allowed to sign two of Dion Waiters, Anthony Davis, and Marc Gasol. Drizz would only be allowed to keep two of Brandon Jennings, Paul Millsap, DeMarcus Cousins, and Al Horford. The same thing would happen to SKYWALKERS and The Coach in year three, rather than year four. Shouldn't you be allowed to retain your best players, rather than being forced to let one, or in some cases two, of them go?
    I know for me, this played a MAJOR role in how I gave out my contracts. So when I was dishing out my contract years, I made it so I tried to have only 2 players expiring in the same year (ie. I've only got Chris Paul and Rudy Gay expiring in 5 years; only Chris Bosh and Pekovic expiring in 4 years; Beasley, OJ Mayo and Brandon Knight expiring in 3 years, etc.) I've spaced out my main players so as to ensure Security down the road.

This rule has been known since Day-1. If people didn't take it into consideration as a strategy point, that is their own fault. You can always trade these players before they expire (as in real life) if you don't want to lose them for nothing.
    Last edited by Joey; Fri Apr 12th, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

4. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bargnani will be amnestied

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    You can only extend players once their contract is over; at least, that's how I interpreted the rules.
    At the end of the year you are allowed to two sign players on your roster to an extension for as many years as you want provided you remain under cap. This decision must be made prior to the draft.

The above is from Appolo's original rules

I see no mention of "contract is over"

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO I think players who's contracts are over AND those with 1 year left should be allowed to be extended.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I was more just asking for clarification. Is it possible we could use one of our two RFA signings one year as an extension for a player already under contract? Or must they only be used on RFAs? (Again, I know the answer as per the rules. I'm just throwing ideas out there, as at the beginning of the league everyone said they wanted it to be as close to real life as possible, and in real life teams don't lose their best players when they have the cap space to retain them).

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Do we have any ideas on how we want to do the draft order?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote koncept wrote: View Post
    Do we have any ideas on how we want to do the draft order?
    Keeping the draft order as similar to the NBA would be good. One possible way would be to use the Lottery Machine on ESPN. All non-playoff teams are eligible for the lottery - worst team in our league = worst team in NBA and so on. Then one of the GMs plays the lottery machine and we get the draft order. Playoff teams pick from 9 on in reverse order of their regular season finish.

Regarding re-signing 2 players per year I'm divided in my opinion. I allocated my contract years based on having 2 players to re-sign at the end of each of the next couple seasons. That said, if the rules did not specifically say that contract extensions could only be granted to players on expiring contracts (as jbml has pointed out), then it seems fair to allow teams to extend ANY two players, regardless of whether their contract is expiring.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

that seems like a fair way to make a draft order.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote coastal wrote: View Post
    Keeping the draft order as similar to the NBA would be good. One possible way would be to use the Lottery Machine on ESPN. All non-playoff teams are eligible for the lottery - worst team in our league = worst team in NBA and so on. Then one of the GMs plays the lottery machine and we get the draft order. Playoff teams pick from 9 on in reverse order of their regular season finish.
    Quote koncept wrote: View Post
    that seems like a fair way to make a draft order.

I'm not against this method, however, if we did go this route, I would like to see the simulation run several times and take the average of the positions.

Is it possible we could use one of our two RFA signings one year as an extension for a player already under contract? Or must they only be used on RFAs?
    Quote coastal wrote:
    Regarding re-signing 2 players per year I'm divided in my opinion. I allocated my contract years based on having 2 players to re-sign at the end of each of the next couple seasons. That said, if the rules did not specifically say that contract extensions could only be granted to players on expiring contracts (as jbml has pointed out), then it seems fair to allow teams to extend ANY two players, regardless of whether their contract is expiring.
    I'm not against this either. This won't really hurt peoples draft/signing strategy as I can't imagine people won't be able to find two people with expiring contracts worth extending, before reaching to next years expiring crop. I can't see this being utilized all that much even, at least not for the next few years until we get into the Big Name guys who will be expiriing.
    Last edited by Joey; Mon Apr 15th, 2013 at 09:55 AM.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I'm not against this method, however, if we did go this route, I would like to see the simulation run several times and take the average of the positions.
    Sure, but then you might as well just go from worst to first. The more trials you do, the closer you will get to what you would expect. The advantage of just running it once is to keep the random element that the lottery provides (and take some of the allure away from tanking).

14. Like Soft Euro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure, but then you might as well just go from worst to first. The more trials you do, the closer you will get to what you would expect. The advantage of just running it once is to keep the random element that the lottery provides (and take some of the allure away from tanking).
    Hmmm Suppose this is true ... good point.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Rookie skywalker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How many rounds are we drafting? 2?

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote skywalker wrote: View Post
    How many rounds are we drafting? 2?
    Just one. It's only rookies.

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So it was completely unnecessary for me to trade my 2nd round pick? Steal!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be in favour of this

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that for this year rules should be kept as stated. Especially if there was no discusion throughout the season on clarification. was there not a precedent on a subject earlier in the year that maintained the rules as written??

If it is felt that any rules should be changed next year should be fine but it should be discussed this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought we would be going deeper than that, 60 players get drafted every year....I guess the unsigned free agents are just that, free agents. When can we start bidding on them?

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    I thought we would be going deeper than that, 60 players get drafted every year....I guess the unsigned free agents are just that, free agents. When can we start bidding on them?
    There's really no sense in going more than one though... How many rookies play any meaningful minutes to garner any decent fantasy stats? Plenty of those that get drafted don't even end up making rosters anyways.

I believe someone brought up earlier that we do our courting of FA's when the real NBA does. Then we have a week to put in our bids. I'm up for that, because that's right in the heart of summer when plenty of people are on vacation...

Kobe's up for grabs! Anyone? Anyone?? That put a damper on my season two plans dammit...
    Keep Calm & Chive On

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I don't think we need to go deeper than 16. I'm sure you'll have opportunity to get the rookies you want outside the top 16 in FA.

Thread Information