This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    How do you figure you could be 2nd when theres .. at least 3 people, maybe 4 (depends how you look at ties) with better records than you? Haha

You want something to complain about, how about me finishing with the same record as you; beating you during the regular season, and still I'm ranked lower than you. Explain that one. Lol
    Lol I woulda been 2nd because I was tied for first in my division with Apollo. And ya I know what you mean. Me and Apollo finished with the same percentage, I beat him in the regular season and he still got the higher ranking. Yahoo has some weird methods...

Comment

• tucas wrote: View Post
      Lol damn I can't believe I'm 5th instead of second because of a virtual coin flip. Now I know how the raptors feel.
      Could be worse.

Just missed the playoffs in 9th, so no extra revenue from the playoff games but not much of a draft pick either. I'm slotting myself into "perpetual rebuild mode" right now.

Comment

Me and Apollo finished with the same percentage, I beat him in the regular season and he still got the higher ranking. Yahoo has some weird methods...
        Hmm ya, I do not understand this. And unfortunately, from what I can see, theres nothing we can do as Commish to adjust these 'methods' of determination.

And another "issue" that has presented itself, is WJF, 7th overall is facing a 'weaker' opponent than Tucas, who finished 5th.

Tucas takes on 14-6 Matt52, while WJF gets off relatively easy with the comparitively worse record of Apollo's 11-7-2.

Just something I've noticed.
        I think we can be using this Inaugural season to find what works and what doesn't, and try to make for a better experience going forward.
        Last edited by Joey; Wed Mar 20, 2013, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• Tiebreak rules are pretty easy to find. I had to know them because of the battle for eight.

Apollo is second seed because he won his conference. This is what happens in the nba to Western teams all the time.

Comment

• coastal wrote: View Post
            Could be worse.

Just missed the playoffs in 9th, so no extra revenue from the playoff games but not much of a draft pick either. I'm slotting myself into "perpetual rebuild mode" right now.
            That's only because you didn't set your line-up when you were in full battle for the last play-off spot...

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
              Tiebreak rules are pretty easy to find. I had to know them because of the battle for eight.
              Suppose, but I will post them for next season to avoid any further confusion; although according to Yahoo! (quote below) I should have been the 5th seed over Tucas then. Ugh. Lol
              And Tucas over Apollo for 2nd. Although Apollo's 2 tie games make for a different situation.

Yahoo! Fantasy Basketball Help wrote:
              Head-to-Head One-Win Leagues

The tiebreaker in these leagues is the matchup win percentage against this opponent during the regular season. (Not stat category wins)

Example: Team C beat Team D, 3 out of 4 times during the regular season for a .750 win percentage.

It is not possible for a custom league commissioner to deviate from this tiebreaking system.

Source

Soft Euro wrote:
              Apollo is second seed because he won his conference. This is what happens in the nba to Western teams all the time.
              Right, but in the NBA the Conferences don't mix come playoff time. So its not really an even comparison. In the NBA Apollo would be facing the 4th best Record in your Conference.

And the NBA actually changed the seeding rules a few years back to help mitigate this from happening again.

I don't know, just seemed wrong to me. Perhaps I'm stirring up the pot too much.
              Last edited by Joey; Wed Mar 20, 2013, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• Good point on the mixing.

You got the wrong rules though. Those are for ties in a playoff matchup. For position at the end of the regular season 'they' look at the results in the last week. If that's the same, the results one week earlier, etc.

Comment

• Added point about the mixing and 2nd seed for conf winner: everyone who looked at the rules at Yahoo isn't surprised...

Comment

Good point on the mixing.

You got the wrong rules though. Those are for ties in a playoff matchup. For position at the end of the regular season 'they' look at the results in the last week. If that's the same, the results one week earlier, etc.
                    That can't be right. Appolo lost his last week and I won my last week. By those rules I still should've been 2nd.

Comment

Ahh, thanks for pointing that out! Tough to tell the two interpretations apart. Yours makes more sense though.

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                      Added point about the mixing and 2nd seed for conf winner: everyone who looked at the rules at Yahoo isn't surprised...
                      Its not whether we're surprised or not. We all knew Winner of the conference would get #1 & #2.
                      It's just at the beginning of the season, we didn't necessarily foresee a situation like this happening. I know I didn't.
                      I loved the idea of conferences. Less so when I found out we couldn't have 4 teams from each conference go through to the playoffs.

It could have turned out completely normally, and everything could have been fine with the mixing, had the conferences been more balanced. Which could very well work itself out by next season.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        Ahh, thanks for pointing that out! Tough to tell the two interpretations apart. Yours makes more sense though.

Its not whether we're surprised or not. We all knew Winner of the conference would get #1 & #2.
                        It's just at the beginning of the season, we didn't necessarily foresee a situation like this happening. I know I didn't.
                        I loved the idea of conferences. Less so when I found out we couldn't have 4 teams from each conference go through to the playoffs.

It could have turned out completely normally, and everything could have been fine with the mixing, had the conferences been more balanced. Which could very well work itself out by next season.
                        I was just thinking, what's the point of having the conferences? Wouldn't it be more fair to eliminate the conferences all together and have 1 big one? There were 4 teams in your conference with better records that got lower rankings just because these conferences exist. I get the idea if its like nba, 4 make it from each 1st faces 4th and 2nd faces 3rd and then a team from each conference in the finals, but all having 2 conferences is doing is awarding a decent team with 2nd seed because they're in an easier conference. It just seems pointless to me unless its more like nba rules.

Comment

That can't be right. Appolo lost his last week and I won my last week. By those rules I still should've been 2nd.
                          Yes, you should. That is weird. Nothing can be done about it of course, but we should ask Yahoo about it.

Comment

• I've always thought that yahoo fantasy leagues are one of the weaker and less configurable of the ones out there. Not to mention slow interface and shitty player updates.
                            It's not a big deal to me though, I don't mind where or how the league is setup. I thank you guys for having the league in the first place and putting all the time and effort into keeping stats, maintaining cap info and all that stuff. Thanks and keep up the great work.

Comment

• drizz wrote: View Post
                              I've always thought that yahoo fantasy leagues are one of the weaker and less configurable of the ones out there. Not to mention slow interface and shitty player updates.
                              It's not a big deal to me though, I don't mind where or how the league is setup. I thank you guys for having the league in the first place and putting all the time and effort into keeping stats, maintaining cap info and all that stuff. Thanks and keep up the great work.
                              Besides Yahoo, I've only played at espn. What other sites are there we could best be looking at?

Comment

• ESPN is a good one. There is also CBS which is ok as well. I have heard really good things about fleaflicker but have yet to join one of their leagues.

Comment

Working...
                                X