Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Two words: Rudy Gay.

Lowry
    DeRozan
    Gay
    Amir
    Valanciunas
    I like Rudy and all, but when I look at it on paper I don't think the addition of Rudy to the team makes us an elite offensive team, however adding J. Smith could very well make us an elite defensive team considering Kyle is and excellent defender at PG, and T. Ross projects to be as well at SG. J. Smoove is already a great shot blocker, rebounder and JV also projects to be one.

You have to hang your hat on either offense or defense, and for me personally I think defense being Casey's specialty you gotta build the team with focus on D. Keep in mind that J. Smith is no slouch...he can get you 17, 18 points a game, but not from the perimeter. Also, come playoff time when everyone starts playing half court ball and clamping down on D, Rudy's perimeter skills get somewhat negated imo.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      I like Rudy and all, but when I look at it on paper I don't think the addition of Rudy to the team makes us an elite offensive team, however adding J. Smith could very well make us an elite defensive team considering Kyle is and excellent defender at PG, and T. Ross projects to be as well at SG. J. Smoove is already a great shot blocker, rebounder and JV also projects to be one.

You have to hang your hat on either offense or defense, and for me personally I think defense being Casey's specialty you gotta build the team with focus on D. Keep in mind that J. Smith is no slouch...he can get you 17, 18 points a game, but not from the perimeter. Also, come playoff time when everyone starts playing half court ball and clamping down on D, Rudy's perimeter skills get somewhat negated imo.
      I'm not a big fan of JSmoove. I don't like tweeners and overall I think he's a bit of an overrated volume scorer and not entirely worth his salary. I don't have stats to backup my claims, as they're entirely based on watching him play on Atlanta and purely subjective. Personally, I'd much prefer Gay, as he's clearly a SF who has shown to defer to teammates offensively, for the good of the team (at his coach's request and sometimes too much, I think). He is solid defensively and I think he has much more room for further improvement than JSmoove.

If the Raps could use their assets (ie: 2013 2nd round pick, 2 x 2014 2nd round picks, 1 2015 2nd round pick and $3M cash) to acquire at least 1 future 1st round pick, I'd love to flip Calderon (expiring) & DeRozan (Gay's replacement, who's due a big raise this offseason) & Davis (depth and insurance for Arthur) & draft picks (at least 1 1st round pick and possibly additional 2nd round picks) for Gay. However, we don't know whether or not Gay is available, or what other offers Memphis would potentially receive.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post

I have confidence in Casey's defensive abilities as a coach. If he can get guys like DeRozan, Calderon and Bargnani to buy in, I'm sure getting Gay to become a respectable wing defender isn't too daunting of a task (if he isn't one already).

This team is currently good enough to be competitive on any given night. We saw this last year with very few blowout losses. Gay would finally give us a true "closer" to give the ball to in the dying moments of a game. There wouldn't be a need for perfect half court execution anymore. Just give the ball to Gay, run an ISO at the top of the key, and let him create a shot for himself, or a wide open teammate. We haven't had that luxury since Vince was here.

Comment

I just found it entertaining that the majority of the proposed starting lineups here did not include our 'not overpaid at all' six million dollar man.

If anyone is traded first I would go with DeRozan or Calderon.
          your pal,
          ebrian

Comment

This prediction isn't bold enough..

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
              I just found it entertaining that the majority of the proposed starting lineups here did not include our 'not overpaid at all' six million dollar man.

If anyone is traded first I would go with DeRozan or Calderon.
              I know. Amir should be traded ahead of Davis! ;-)

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
                It wasn't cherry picked; we were talking about the championship Pistons, so we'd better talk about their championship season. And you need to learn to count, my friend: Prince, Billups, and (just barely) Sheed makes three out of the starting lineup that are over 30%. And for the hypothetical raps lineup, you'd have Lowry, Ross (hopefully), and Josh Smith (just barely) all capable of shooting above 30%.
                The 3pt %'s have been addressed by another poster, no need for me to do the same.

Adding in Ross was not the original lineup of the topic. You added in Ross but even in doing this you have added just 2 guys capable of hitting above 30% from 3pt line. As for the three PIstons you listed, have you forgot about Rip Hamilton? Guy shot 30.5% in championship year but is a career 35% 3pt shooter.... I believe all those number are over 30% and if the math is correct that is 4 three point shooters in teh lineup.

So in conclusion, original post was 4 guys who could not shoot 30% from 3pt line in starting lineup. You have added a guy in Ross who has never even played an NBA regular season minute so the Raps now have 2 in this hypothetical over 30% 3 point shooters in the lineup..... still not good enough. I stand by the original statements.

Comment

Everything would be so much easier to plan if we had Lebron...

Comment

Fuchan wrote: View Post
                    Everything would be so much easier to plan if we had Lebron...
                    and Wade

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                      i have and always will stand by "bargs is our best chance of 2 points" everytime he has the ball. unless he really doesn't fit in there is no way he is getting traded. 7 footers are getting massive money right now. he would be sent to the bench and unleashed on reserves before he was traded.
                      HAHAHAHAHA
                      good jokes. They just kept getting funnier as it went along.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        On his way to the ACC via the Tim Horton's drive-through.
                        Lmao!

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                          Bargs gets traded before anyone else.

The more i've seen of him since he came back from injury the more i think he's gone. The team will win under Casey's system but he doesn't fit it at all, and actually hinders it.
                          totally agree - someone can use him - turn him in to a 3 STUD and we will all be happy
                          "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

I'm thinking wait until the season is three weeks old before any massive trades. Casey doesn't even have his rotation worked out.

Comment

Working...
                            X