Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GAME THREAD: Double Dose of Detroit! Part 1 @ Detroit (Valanciunas debut?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotshot wrote: View Post
    So far it seems that: Knight & Drummond > Val & Ross.

How depressing.
    "So far" as in 1 preseason game? In that case, John Lucas looks better than Wade.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
      I'm giving it one more year. If next time around Detroit again drafts the guy I want I'm officially becoming a Pistons fan.

Time to dust off the Grant Hill throwback.
      If there are a lot of guys you want in the draft, you should probably dust off one of these: http://blogs.westword.com/latestword...986%20home.jpg

Comment

Vykis wrote: View Post
        If there are a lot of guys you want in the draft, you should probably dust off one of these: http://blogs.westword.com/latestword...986%20home.jpg
        I'm not sure what that means. The last 2 years when it's been the Raps turn to pick we passed on the guy I wanted at the position and Detroit took them. If they drafted Quincy Miller in the 2nd round it would've been game over.

Comment

couple things i noticed,

Ross: heck of a shooter and defender but needs to move without the ball more on offense. he's effectively taking himself out of the game by just standing around.
          DD: good hustle, tenacity. still can't defend worth a lick.
          flying V: moved around really well. couple nice blocks. he won't win rookie of the year much less be in the rookie/soph game but at the end of the day he's going to do some nice things and help the team win. i like what i saw in the 12 minutes or whatever he played.
          JL3: my dude. making jose more and more irrelevant.
          bargs: awful. was a complete pylon on defense.
          davis: c'mon man PULL IT TOGETHER
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            couple things i noticed,

Ross: heck of a shooter and defender but needs to move without the ball more on offense. he's effectively taking himself out of the game by just standing around.
            DD: good hustle, tenacity. still can't defend worth a lick.
            flying V: moved around really well. couple nice blocks. he won't win rookie of the year much less be in the rookie/soph game but at the end of the day he's going to do some nice things and help the team win. i like what i saw in the 12 minutes or whatever he played.
            JL3: my dude. making jose more and more irrelevant.
            bargs: awful. was a complete pylon on defense.
            davis: c'mon man PULL IT TOGETHER
            Valanciunas will be in the rookie/sophomore game. Book it.

Comment

I don't think so. not a knock on V (well i guess it kind of is) but there's a few rookie bigs that are going to be inheriting a lot of minutes/better situations.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

It's hard to know what to think without Lowry in the lineup and Val and Ross playing limited minutes because, without those guys, this is just the 20-win team from last year.

One good thing that jumped out at me was that Derozan seems to be handling the ball better. Again, small sample size, but he looked much more comfortable putting the ball on the floor.

Also, getting a good laugh out of the "Bargnani was terrible" posters. He looks like the same Bargnani from the last 6 years to me. Not sure why anyone is surprised...

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                  I don't think so. not a knock on V (well i guess it kind of is) but there's a few rookie bigs that are going to be inheriting a lot of minutes/better situations.
                  I actually think Jonas will be forced fed minutes once he's 100% in game-shape. Even in his rookie/rusty shape, he isn't much worse than Gray or Amir manning the middle. IMO, it's a low risk move to give Jonas the bulk of the minutes.

Comment

Jonas was excellent.

Jonas Jerebko

Comment

2 Games into the preseason and I've yet to see any hint of Casey's defensive philosophies. It's early I know and he is trying to intergrate 2 rookies and a couple of free agents into the rotation but still looks pretty ugly right now.

My player impressions:
                      JL3 - Can't stand the guy. He's looking way better than he actually is because it's pre season and apparently nobody cares about defense or shot selection. There is no way he should be our first PG off the bench.

DD - Improved handles, more confident, but same tunnel vision as always. 2 on 1 and he goes for the more difficult shot when he could have passed it to an open JV. His defense still isn't great but it's clear he's looking to play the open lanes in hope of getting a steal more so than last year.

Amir - I don't know if he's unhappy about the eventual move from starting C to coming off the bench or something, but Drummond was schooling him all last night. His head doesn't seem to be in the game.

Ed - Not strong enough, not active enough, game is still too fast for him.

Andrea - Shot selection is there, just hasn't found his shooting touch just yet.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                        JL3 - Can't stand the guy. He's looking way better than he actually is because it's pre season and apparently nobody cares about defense or shot selection. There is no way he should be our first PG off the bench.
                        I actually like what I've seen from Lucas so far. It's true he isn't a prototypical pass-first quarterback, but I like his veteran presence, his ability to create his own shot (as well as for others), and his outside shooting has been solid. He has taken a few ill-advised shots...but then again, who hasn't?

I wouldn't have any problem with Lucas playing 15-20 mpg if/when Calderon is traded. In a very young season so far, he's becoming my favourite roster sleeper.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                          DD - Improved handles, more confident, but same tunnel vision as always. 2 on 1 and he goes for the more difficult shot when he could have passed it to an open JV. His defense still isn't great but it's clear he's looking to play the open lanes in hope of getting a steal more so than last year.
                          I actually liked that play, it's 2 on 1, he's the scoring athletic guard running down with a rookie big man playing in his first game, the better play is to not pass and use V as distraction to not take a charge, and if you miss the likelihood is the 7 footer will get his hands on it for the putback.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            I actually like what I've seen from Lucas so far. It's true he isn't a prototypical pass-first quarterback, but I like his veteran presence, his ability to create his own shot (as well as for others), and his outside shooting has been solid. He has taken a few ill-advised shots...but then again, who hasn't?

I wouldn't have any problem with Lucas playing 15-20 mpg if/when Calderon is traded. In a very young season so far, he's becoming my favourite roster sleeper.
                            Lowry's health is definitely scaring me a little right now, but I agree that JL3's play so far could definitely wind up making pulling the trigger on a Calderon trade much easier for BC (especially if Calderon returns next offseason at a reduced rate).

I was hoping that either Amir/Davis would show some signs of life, especially in light of their playing time being threatened by the addition of Valanciunas and the workmanship approach by Gray & Acy.

I like DeRozan's aggressiveness and hope it translates into the regular season, but I fear he's becoming even more of a black hole, especially with it being a contract year (individual stats tend to talk louder than team results, unfortunately).

Overall, I've been pleased so far. I don't think Casey is too worried about defense, since it's his primary coaching strength and really can't be put into full effect until lineups/rotations are nailed down. These first few games are more about seeing individual players loosening up (ie: Bargnani, Calderon, Fields) and fighting for playing time (rookies and positional battles). I expect we'll see tighter rotations, more effort from the starters and more attention to defense as the preseason goes on.

Comment

last two games of the preseason is about when I will start drawing some conclusions...but in reality its about 20 - 30 games into the season before you really see what you got and how it clicks.
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

It makes me laugh that any of you are making predictions like this in the PRESEASON. Have you not ever watched preseason in years past? some guys look like HoF material and starters look like bums and then the season starts and you're like wtf? It is slightly closer to real games than summer league but it's similar to SL is to the drew league. In fact it's really just glorified PRACTICE, yes, we talkin 'bout practice.

Ease up seen!
                                LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X