Someone explain the scoring to me....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone explain the scoring to me....

Looking up the stats for Wed.'s To./Det. game and I couldnt get past a wall of "buy tickets now" spam at NBA.com, but I did find the box score over at ESPN. http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400400478

Here's my question. When I look at the individual scores I see that Kleiza had 7 points. He was 3-7 from 2 point range (3x2=6pts) and 1 for 4 from 3 (1x3=3), so by my math, 6pts+3pts=9pts. Am I missing something? Alan Anderson 3-6 and 2-3 for 8pts (12 by 6+6=12) Jose was 6-9 and 3-5 for 15 pts, but 12+6=18 by my count.

I've seen this many times before in box-scores, so now I'm wondering where the error is? Is it my math...the individuals stat, or the pts. totals...Or am I reading something wrong here? Can this stuff be this messed up? Detroit had 41 field goals for 82 pts and 19 free throws which equals 101 pts. Which is correct. Toronto is listed as 35 field goals for 70 pts. 11 3's for 33 pts and 18 made field goals for a grand total of...121 pts by my count. Maybe I'll just count this as a win for us!

In the field goals, they count the 3s. That's why. I'm here anytime you need me Sir

Comment

Like Charles said, 3 point field goals are counted in overall field goal attempts.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

In Europe, the box scores usually list 2pt field goals and 3pt field goals in separate columns, but a standard North American one will list total field goals made/attempted in one column, and 3pt in another. So, let's say you shot 2-4 on twos, and 1-3 on threes. In Europe the boxscore looks like this:

FG 3FG
        2-4 1-3

But in North America it looks like this:

FG 3FG
        3-7 1-3

Easy to get confused if you're used to one system, then see a boxscore in the other.

Comment

How about someone explains to mew why Jonas Valanciunas had 0 rebounds in 13 minutes of action. How is this even possible? We drafted Bargs 2.0 without the 3 point shot!

Comment

because the Pistons shot around 65 percent while he was on the floor. not alot of rebounds for him to get

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
              How about someone explains to mew why Jonas Valanciunas had 0 rebounds in 13 minutes of action. How is this even possible? We drafted Bargs 2.0 without the 3 point shot!
              Him and Landry crashed the boards like bosses. It'll show up on the stat sheet eventually

Comment

JV had at least two tips to team mates that I saw. They must have credited his team mates with the RB.

Comment

Well, he was ok, not reached my expectations, but he has done some great invisible work, which doesn't reflect on the stat sheet.
                  Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

watch what JV does on DeMar's monster Jam...you can expect little things like that ALL year
                    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                      So the opposition shoots 65% when he is on the floor and he did not grab one of the misses?

That does not sound good...

Comment

Oh gosh fellas, they really need a sarcasm font on here I guess. I was only kidding.

I wish they would have fed him the rock in the post a little more though.

Comment

Come on Mack !!!

You and your little sarcasm can't stick it up your hoop !!!

JV played fine considering he had only 1 practice before yesterday's game. I was impressed that he was able to play great D on Monroe without fouling. I believe his only foul was a lose ball offensive foul.

Comment

Keeping it Real wrote: View Post
                            Come on Mack !!!

You and your little sarcasm can't stick it up your hoop !!!
                            Awfully aggressive for your first post, no? Hahah Welcome!

Comment

Lol. I was just playing. Me an Mack Neezy go way back.

Comment

Working...
                              X