Sportsnet Raptors Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportsnet Raptors Preview

Prediction: 40-42 (Division: 5th Atlantic, Conference: 9th Eastern).

It's interesting to see that a sub .500 team may not make the playoffs in the East this year. We'll see what happens come April.

Snizzoop wrote: View Post

It's interesting to see that a sub .500 team may not make the playoffs in the East this year. We'll see what happens come April.
    Ideally, that's the way it should be. A team which loses more games than it wins, should not be rewarded with a playoff berth.

Comment

I fully agree.

When was the last time this was the case in the east?

Comment

I really think that Philly might be in trouble. Bynum is out all month with knee problems, that at the very least will make it difficult for them to get off to a quick start. I think he will be in an out of the lineup all season. I think Raps will finish 4th in the division 8th in east and could possibly even catch the Knicks for 3rd in Atlantic and 7th in East with a 42-40 record.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Ideally, that's the way it should be. A team which loses more games than it wins, should not be rewarded with a playoff berth.
          Don't forget that more than half the league makes the playoffs. Unless you decrease the number of playoff spots (or add at least 2 new teams to the league), most years you're going to get a team or two with a losing record in the playoffs. Personally, I'd be against reducing the number of teams in the playoffs because I'm a basketball junkie and the longer the playoffs are, the better as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Kinda wish they'd just go back to a 5 game first round though. First round match ups are more of a formality than anything in most cases. There are exceptions but for the most part I'm fine for making it easier on the better teams early on.
            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
              Kinda wish they'd just go back to a 5 game first round though. First round match ups are more of a formality than anything in most cases. There are exceptions but for the most part I'm fine for making it easier on the better teams early on.
              Me too. I've been saying that for years for basketball and hockey.

Comment

They will never go back now, it means more games and more money. So, most good teams rest up their stars leading to shitty end of season games.

Comment

I actually like the 7 game first round.. the chance for an upset would be greater in a 5 game series (bad team only has to win 3 times instead of 4). What I hate is all those preseason games. They really should cut back on those, but as Fuchan pointed out - it's all about money.

Comment

I prefer the 7-game first round too, simply for consistency's sake.

But what I do hate is the 2-3-2 format for the finals, while each of the previous rounds are 2-2-1-1-1. I realize they do this to minimize travel between East and West coasts, but giving any team 3 home games in a row is too big of an advantage for my liking.

Comment

But what I do hate is the 2-3-2 format for the finals, while each of the previous rounds are 2-2-1-1-1. I realize they do this to minimize travel between East and West coasts, but giving any team 3 home games in a row is too big of an advantage for my liking.
                      Totally agree with your point about the finals format! I'd much rather they minimize the effects of East/West travel by adding an extra day off at that point.
                      Also agree on keeping the first round at 7 games, but more toward the fairness of a 7 game vs 5 game, rather than consistency. Any team can have a couple of bad games, but the good ones that deserve a fair shot to go further can easily bounce back in a 7 game series, where having to win 3 in a row is a much tougher chore.

Comment

It is a huge advantage, but it makes getting a higher seed all that much more important

Comment

I agree. I think that format actually favors the underdog. If you assume teams will split the first 2, then the home teams takes 2 of 3, that forces the favored team to comeback and sweep games 6 & 7 to win. I much prefer the 2/2/1/1/1 format.

Comment

40 wins for this roster seems incredibly optimistic. I hope they are right. I don't see any chance they get there without major contributions from Valancunias and Ross or a real breakout year for Derozan. I don't think either scenario is likely.

Comment

Fuchan wrote: View Post
                              It is a huge advantage, but it makes getting a higher seed all that much more important
                              But it's the lower seed that gets the advantage of 3 games in a row

Comment

Working...
                              X