No announcement yet.

Sportsnet Raptors Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The finals format is complete garbage. Didn't they create it that way back in the day so they didn't have to move TV crews around as much? I really don't get it.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Snizzoop wrote: View Post
      I fully agree.

When was the last time this was the case in the east?
      This just happened. Both 8th seeds (Philly and Utah) were above .500. Last time it happened in an unshortened season was the 2009-2010 season. Not as rare as you thought, right?
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

That is surprising.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
          This just happened. Both 8th seeds (Philly and Utah) were above .500. Last time it happened in an unshortened season was the 2009-2010 season. Not as rare as you thought, right?
          I went as far back as 99-00 and until 03-04 all 8 seeds were .500 or better in the east.

03-04 Celtics 36 wins
          04-05 Nets 42 wins
          05-06 Bucks 40 wins
          06-07 Magic 40 wins
          07-08 Hawks 37 wins
          08-09 Pistons 39 wins
          09-10 Bulls 41 wins
          10-11 Pacers 37 wins

So in the last 8 regular length seasons, only two 8th seed teams have been .500 or better in the east.

Looking at the west is incredible for the last 8 regular length seasons.

03-04 Nuggets 43 wins
          04-05 Grizz 45 wins
          05-06 Kings 44 wins
          06-07 Warriors 42 wins
          07-08 Nuggets 50 wins
          08-09 Jazz 48 wins
          09-10 Thunder 50 wins
          10-11 Grizzlies 46 wins

There was a time when the east was actually more dominant but we'd have to go back to the 90's. In fact we'd have to go all the way back to 96-97 and the Bullets (not Wizards, kids!) for a time when the east had an 8th seed above .500 with 44 wins while the west had an 8th seed below .500 in the Clippers with 36 wins.

Comment

From watching both Washington and New York play, I can honestly say those that are optimistic should be proud. Although, Toronto without Lowry, New York with Stoudemire, Washington without Nene & Wall.

I would expect with Stoudemire out, Carmelo would easily take things over. Well.... Oh, and Jason Kidd plays like he's 60, and Felton just sucks.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Fuchan wrote: View Post
              It is a huge advantage, but it makes getting a higher seed all that much more important
              i think the finals should be as fairly set up as possible. they battled 3 rounds to get there, let the best team win

Comment

If it were up to me I'd shorten preseason by 2 games, regular season by 8 but stretched over the same time period. I'd switch the 1st round to 5 games and the finals 2/2/1/1/1.

I think a season with less games would improve the on court product by increasing the value of each game and by reducing wear and tear on the players. That being said, I think lottery slots should be determined by a playoff of sorts, say a 3 round, one n done system with the winners getting first pick. Seeding would be teams with the closest records vs each other unlike playoffs where it's the most dissimilar teams facing off.
                LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
                  If it were up to me I'd shorten preseason by 2 games, regular season by 8 but stretched over the same time period. I'd switch the 1st round to 5 games and the finals 2/2/1/1/1.

I think a season with less games would improve the on court product by increasing the value of each game and by reducing wear and tear on the players. That being said, I think lottery slots should be determined by a playoff of sorts, say a 3 round, one n done system with the winners getting first pick. Seeding would be teams with the closest records vs each other unlike playoffs where it's the most dissimilar teams facing off.
                  I agree about shortening the season, but the lottery playoff round is just bullshit, the shitty teams wouldnt win anything and they would be shitty for much longer because they couldnt get a high pick, IMO get rid of the lottery and just do a NFL style draft

Comment

Working...
                  X