Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: GAME THREAD: Double Dose of Detroit! (Part 2)

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So many good things to see in JV. The tv crew broke down about four different aspects of what he did right on that last hook shot. The part they left out? He hits the game clinching basket in his first home game....and he puts his head down and runs back to the other end of the court for D. So much to like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    "Our" is possessive. While I understand why people do it (they possess the Raptors in their hearts) it is silly a little bit. If they were "Your" team, then you would have some say in what happens. And with most of the folks here that talk about "THEIR Raps" team, I am just glad they have no influence.
    Don't need any more misunderstanding than we already have.
    When I see fans refering to the Raptors as "Ours", it does not imply 'ownership' at all, but simply implies 'inclusion'; at least, to me anyway.
    So often you will hear athletes refer to the Home Fans as the 6th man (or something along those lines), so to me, its not completely out of line for the fans to think they are part of the team, and thus refer to the team as their own; not as the 'owner', but as the players would.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    So many good things to see in JV. The tv crew broke down about four different aspects of what he did right on that last hook shot. The part they left out? He hits the game clinching basket in his first home game....and he puts his head down and runs back to the other end of the court for D. So much to like.
    Very pleased with his performance tonight. Not to mention, he outperformed Drummond by a large margin tonight. Not sure where all of Drummonds minutes went though.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    When I see fans refering to the Raptors as "Ours", it does not imply 'ownership' at all, but simply implies 'inclusion'; at least, to me anyway.
    So often you will hear athletes refer to the Home Fans as the 6th man (or something along those lines), so to me, its not completely out of line for the fans to think they are part of the team, and thus refer to the team as their own; not as the 'owner', but as the players would.
    +1 thanks for clearing it up

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Ok, so I went back and checked to make sure, because I was trying to figure out why Linas took a shot at that dude. So in the 3rd, I thought I saw Jonas look like someone hit his back, so I checked, and I think it's Stuckey or one of their other perimeter players just gave him the elbow right in the spine. Looks like Linas will be getting JV's back, if not the whole team's, this year. This makes him entirely worth his contract. Dude is cold blooded.
    Welcome to your 2012/2013 Toronto Raptors!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Don't mean to be a dick but this is a sky hook:

What JV did was more of a running hook.

Nice write up though.
    Haha, got it Matt. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me? But Alan Anderson, John Lucas III, and Valanciunas are going to be some serious fan favourites. Alan was so good on both ends tonight, he is a true professional, and a very good role player. John Lucas, no matter how many shots he takes, you can't take away from the fact he plays so hard. Jonas? This guy can play.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Is it just me? But Alan Anderson, John Lucas III, and Valanciunas are going to be some serious fan favourites. Alan was so good on both ends tonight, he is a true professional, and a very good role player. John Lucas, no matter how many shots he takes, you can't take away from the fact he plays so hard. Jonas? This guy can play.
    i ripped anderson last year but from what i have seen in pre-season so far i am eating some crow. he is looking good. i like the way lucas has played but still think he is pretty shot happy.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

JV impressive this game. Gotta love how active he was being. That running hook was nice but there were a couple of occassions he received the ball down low and looked quite comfortable. If he can be a consistent low post scoring threat I'd be even more impressed.

Not sure if its been mentioned yet, but DeMar has 7 picks in 3 games. If he can keep this up and you add Lowry (averaged 1.1 steals a game last year) it could make easy points and additional posessions for the good guys.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post

I liked Anderson last year and am liking him this year. Because of the decimated roster last year he had to overplay some games and wound up forcing some shots to try and make stuff happen. This year he is able to play within himself.

He makes good decisions, offensively and defensively. He's got a nice shot from the three arc. Good handles. A solid pick-up. Hope he stays for a few years. If BC can extend his contract I think he should. This is a guy who is happy to be here, grateful for the chance and will never be a problem.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    i ripped anderson last year but from what i have seen in pre-season so far i am eating some crow. he is looking good. i like the way lucas has played but still think he is pretty shot happy.
    Lucas is our JJ Barea

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Very pleased with his performance tonight. Not to mention, he outperformed Drummond by a large margin tonight. Not sure where all of Drummonds minutes went though.
    That's how Detroit plays. They alternate players every game. Jonas Jerebko didn't play a minute last night, Drummond got like 5 minutes. Then there were guys who didn't play at all last game getting like 25 minutes.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey apologizes to Dr. Naismith:

The Raptors never led by more than 10 points on a sloppy night indicative of pre-season basketball. Casey issued an apology to Naismith in the post-game news conference saying:

``I apologize for our display. But I thought our guys battled, the effort was there, we have not had a day off, and we played like it.

``But that's the way it's going to be if you're play for something. You're going to be tired, you have to play through fatigue, if you're going to play for something.''

http://www.nba.com/raptors/recap_101212

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the Naismith apology was great.

I really like how Casey tries to hold this team to the same standards of the Dallas team. He was talking about how in Dallas, guys could not walk after games because they left it all on the floor.

While Casey has been great thus far, I am starting to feel nervous about the offense (maybe I am just over analyzing preseason games?). Never once in Casey's career has he shown a really great offensive side. The Timberwolves were a bottom 5 offensive team in the league when Casey coached them, and the Raptors are no different.

We have some great offensive options (Bargs, Lowry, Demar, plus a great second unit) but I do not know if Casey and his staff will be able to mesh them all to create cohesive, consistent offense.

We will see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    I liked Anderson last year and am liking him this year. Because of the decimated roster last year he had to overplay some games and wound up forcing some shots to try and make stuff happen. This year he is able to play within himself.

He makes good decisions, offensively and defensively. He's got a nice shot from the three arc. Good handles. A solid pick-up. Hope he stays for a few years. If BC can extend his contract I think he should. This is a guy who is happy to be here, grateful for the chance and will never be a problem.
    Alan is one of my personal favs on this team. I just don't get worried whenever he's on the court. That says something about him, especially cause he's projected to be a 3rd string. But, if he keeps playing this way, Kleiza could be the 3rd stringer.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Red and White wrote: View Post
    Yeah the Naismith apology was great.

I really like how Casey tries to hold this team to the same standards of the Dallas team. He was talking about how in Dallas, guys could not walk after games because they left it all on the floor.

While Casey has been great thus far, I am starting to feel nervous about the offense (maybe I am just over analyzing preseason games?). Never once in Casey's career has he shown a really great offensive side. The Timberwolves were a bottom 5 offensive team in the league when Casey coached them, and the Raptors are no different.

We have some great offensive options (Bargs, Lowry, Demar, plus a great second unit) but I do not know if Casey and his staff will be able to mesh them all to create cohesive, consistent offense.

We will see.
    I think Casey will turn it around. It's just preseason. But watching teams like Phoenix and Portland play our offense looks pretty slow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I think Casey will turn it around. It's just preseason. But watching teams like Phoenix and Portland play our offense looks pretty slow
    Well, because neither team prides themselves, or has an identity. While we are focused defensively.

I think that hurts teams, good defensive teams, can have problems as a team offensively. Boston, Miami, Toronto.

Post Thanks / Like

Ross is more of a project than I thought

Post Thanks / Like

AA is a player. Dude is one of those players that bring a few things to the table and don't take anything from it. Love me some Anderson.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Ross is more of a project than I thought
    I agree, I thought he would come out banging shot after shot. I also thought he was a rookie farther than most in terms of NBA ready.

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    AA is a player. Dude is one of those players that bring a few things to the table and don't take anything from it. Love me some Anderson.
    +1

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information