No announcement yet.

NBA Rookie Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perry Jones put up some impressive stas tonight in the Thunder's game. 17 points on 8 for 10 shooting, 4 rebounds and 5 assists in 30 minutes. It was against the Bobcats. MKG had on off night. 3 points, 5 rebounds in 18 minutes.

Andy Rautins was the leading scorer in this game with 20 points for the Thunder, btw.

Comment

Anthony Davis had 19 points on 8 of 11 shooting and grabbed 7 boards.
      Drummond had another solid outing with 9 points and 8 boards in 18 1/2 minutes. But 5 fouls..

This rookie class is going to bring an influx of iconic big men into the NBA.

Comment

Garbo wrote: View Post
        Anthony Davis had 19 points on 8 of 11 shooting and grabbed 7 boards.
        Drummond had another solid outing with 9 points and 8 boards in 18 1/2 minutes. But 5 fouls..

This rookie class is going to bring an influx of iconic big men into the NBA.
        Thats what I found interesting about the year leading up to this past draft.

The top half+ of the lottery was supposed to be filled with big men. Davis, Drummond, Sullinger, Robinson, Perry Jones III, Terrence Jones, and even Zeller and Henson were talked about going in the top 10. It was really only MKG and Barnes who were talked about going high.

Then as the season wore on every big not named Anthony Davis started to drop to the point where Sullinger, Jones III, Jones and Zeller didn't even make it as a lottery pick (and Henson was the last pick in the lottery).

It just makes me wonder if alot of these guys got compared to Anthony Davis, and when they didn't stack up, GMs started thinking less and less of them. Or if this is still the continued belief that the NBA is getting smaller and perimeter oriented so chasing guards and perimeter players was the better route.

Anyways, from what I've seen so far (which is obviously a small sample size) alot of these bigs that dropped may well end up being the value picks in the draft. Even Meyers Leonard looked pretty damn good out there.

NOH wins he draft with Davis, but Portland may well come in a tight 2nd with Lilliard and Leonard.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
          I think waiters is a bust, don't like him at all.
          I doubt Dion Waiters will be a bust. In the three pre-season games I watched, the guy looks like he has a very solid foundation on how to play defense, at least 1 on 1. Seems to know where his help is and has funneled his man to the bigs. He has been caught looking at the ball a few times but that's just expected out of a rookie who is still adjusting to the speed of the game.

On offense, Dion has been erratic. His shooting form is inconsistent and I think he will be a hot or cold type player until he improves his consistency. When handling the ball, he uses picks well and cuts at a good angle (in the sense he creates some separation between himself and the man guarding him). Has not finished well at the rim. Has not shown he can break down his man off the dribble if not using a pick. Does not move well without the ball (common for rookies still learning an offense so not a concern yet). Is undersized.

I think he will be a fine player eventually but will struggle for a year or two.

The are two things that worries me as regards to the Cavaliers. Kyrie's PnR defense has been atrocious this pre-season. He was an awful defender last year (much worse than Calderon at his worst) and has not shown any improvement so far. Tristan's defensive rebounding's technique; he needs to focus less on the ball and more on his man to slide close enough to one of his shoulders and get a deflection on the rebound. I hope the Cavs keep Andy all year because he is what I hope Tritan will become defensively.

Comment

Nice Drummond highlight.

Comment

Barnes is gonna be nice is GS. Damn coin flip!!

Comment

T Rob has the springs! Dwight Howard should know to box out.

Comment

OH SNAP! Move bitch Get out the way!

Comment

Austin Rivers injury:

Comment

lillard played great yesterday and take a look at cousins stat line, i know not a rookie but a pretty good 8 minutes.

Comment

Anthony Davis may lead all big men in turnovers this year if he continues to bring the ball low whenever he gathers himself. He was stripped twice yesterday and he seemed to be a lot more rushed afterwards.

Comment

barnes 16 points on 8 shots with seven boards tonight. watched it streamed, boring game. warriors seem to like running plays for him but he doesn't force anything. made some nice plays and passes. goodluck to him

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                            Nice Drummond highlight.

The immediate problem with Drummond is that teams will start fouling him as soon as winning matters. Drummond shot below 30% from the free throw line in college, summer league, and pre-season.

That's incredibly bad. Even with a 50% immediate improvement, his FT% would be lower than the lowest FT% of all players who took 100 FT attempts last season.

Although I was hoping the Raptors would pick him when he dropped to 8, I was and I am still unclear whether he was worth the gamble.

Comment

how can professional have lower than 50% from ft.... I cannot understand how, it's possible. Only thing which comes to my mind is that hes not talented at all. Just a body, which is thrown in to the court to absorb balls under the basket... you can do it even without talent, just work your ass off, and you will hit them...
                              Last edited by RandomGuy; Fri Oct 26, 2012, 01:26 PM.
                              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                                how can professional have lower than 50% from ft.... I cannot understand how, it's possible. Only thing which comes to my head is that hes not talented at all. Just a body, which is thrown in to the court to absorb balls under the basket... you can do it even without talent, just work your ass off, and you will hit them...
                                I think it might be a symptom of the developmental structure for big (athletic) players. They are so much taller and stronger than their opponents that the coaches and trainers just focus on getting the most out of this mismatch with opposing players. These coaches get their positions, salary and sponsorshipdeals because of the results they produce, not because of how well they develop and prepare young players. The amount of players entering the nba without sound fundamentals is staggering; there is something seriously wrong when big prospect bigs have bad (terrible) shooting mechanics and not a semblance of a post game.

Comment

Working...
                                X