Calderon trade rumor shot down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jclaw wrote: View Post
    I agree. This trade may sound like bs but it may be in the "where there's smoke, there's fire" category. It seems early in the season to have talk of this but it also seems too early in the season for Marc Stein to have to bother shooting something down. Maybe they've seen enough of jl3 to trigger it. Maybe JC has one of Bryan's famous "gentlemans agreement"s saying that he'll find a place for Jose if he's going to become a back up. The timing of this just seems odd.
    maybe, but I don't think BC would ever give him away like this trade suggests. Steve Blake and Duhon are not bringing back anything of value, and even if you don't think Jose is a good point guard, his 10mil expiring does have value. A lot more than that supposed deal suggests.

Comment

CT2010 wrote: View Post
      maybe, but I don't think BC would ever give him away like this trade suggests. Steve Blake and Duhon are not bringing back anything of value, and even if you don't think Jose is a good point guard, his 10mil expiring does have value. A lot more than that supposed deal suggests.
      Here's the thing about expiring contracts: they only have value to teams looking to clear cap space, and teams with bad contracts they want to unload. Now, sometimes there can be value in taking on a bad contract to get some picks, or a promising cheap young player. But those deals aren't always out there. So I hope something gets done, but at the moment I just can't think of a teams that 1. would want Jose and 2. has pieces the Raps would want/be willing to take in return.

I think we just have to wait and see if a market develops; maybe all of the Knicks PGs crash and burn, maybe Jeff Teague turns out to be Jameer Nelson 2.0 and Atlanta panics, maybe Rick Carlisle gets fed up with Collison's ADHD-style play and decides he can't be a starting PG, maybe the Pacers get off to a slow start and worry that Hill just isn't the guy to get the ball to their scorers. I could imagine a lot of situations developing where teams would decide they really need a solid, veteran PG, especially near the trade deadline when the raps have already paid most of his salary. But I just don't see it happening before then.

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
        Here's the thing about expiring contracts: they only have value to teams looking to clear cap space, and teams with bad contracts they want to unload. Now, sometimes there can be value in taking on a bad contract to get some picks, or a promising cheap young player. But those deals aren't always out there. So I hope something gets done, but at the moment I just can't think of a teams that 1. would want Jose and 2. has pieces the Raps would want/be willing to take in return.

I think we just have to wait and see if a market develops; maybe all of the Knicks PGs crash and burn, maybe Jeff Teague turns out to be Jameer Nelson 2.0 and Atlanta panics, maybe Rick Carlisle gets fed up with Collison's ADHD-style play and decides he can't be a starting PG, maybe the Pacers get off to a slow start and worry that Hill just isn't the guy to get the ball to their scorers. I could imagine a lot of situations developing where teams would decide they really need a solid, veteran PG, especially near the trade deadline when the raps have already paid most of his salary. But I just don't see it happening before then.
        Perhaps CT2010 wasn't necessarily talking about "trade value" in Jose's expiring contract. After all, $10 million coming off the books next summer is far better [for the Raptors] than having Blake and Duhon on the roster. In other words, no deal would be better than this rumoured deal.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Perhaps CT2010 wasn't necessarily talking about "trade value" in Jose's expiring contract. After all, $10 million coming off the books next summer is far better [for the Raptors] than having Blake and Duhon on the roster. In other words, no deal would be better than this rumoured deal.
          That's a good point, and I'm a BIG fan of getting rid of Calderon but not to get bogged down with long term contracts of other crappy-to-mediocre players.

If we can't swing for the fences we should just try for a late draft pick trade with a team that gets hit hard with injuries or just wants to loan a backup PG for the playoff run and use the money next off-season.

Comment

CT2010 wrote: View Post
            To clarify, I did not intend to indicate that the players being discussed coming back were a serious exchange. My only point was that a float of a bogus trade with arbitrary players satisfies the objective....and that is getting the client's name (jc) in the news and get some attention by basketball execs. Maybe I am being too conspiratorial.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              I totally agree.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                That's a good point, and I'm a BIG fan of getting rid of Calderon but not to get bogged down with long term contracts of other crappy-to-mediocre players.

If we can't swing for the fences we should just try for a late draft pick trade with a team that gets hit hard with injuries or just wants to loan a backup PG for the playoff run and use the money next off-season.
                That's a bit unlikely to work, because of the equal value rule. If you're trading a player to a team over the cap (or who will be over the cap after the trade), you have to take salary back equal to what you send out +/- 10%. And there definitely aren't any playoff teams $11 mil under the cap. (Don't forget Jose's 5% trade kicker.) I'd be perfectly happy to keep Jose for the rest of the season and then let his contract expire. I think he'll be way, way, way better for the second unit than JL3--our young big men need development, and for that they need a PG who will actually find them on their rolls instead of looking to shoot all the time.

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
                  That's a bit unlikely to work, because of the equal value rule. If you're trading a player to a team over the cap (or who will be over the cap after the trade), you have to take salary back equal to what you send out +/- 10%. And there definitely aren't any playoff teams $11 mil under the cap. (Don't forget Jose's 5% trade kicker.) I'd be perfectly happy to keep Jose for the rest of the season and then let his contract expire. I think he'll be way, way, way better for the second unit than JL3--our young big men need development, and for that they need a PG who will actually find them on their rolls instead of looking to shoot all the time.
                  No doubt Jose is the better play maker but JL3 has put up games of 5 assists and 8 assists in the 2 games versus Detroit.

Comment

Freaking arrogant Lakers, probably thought that if they could fleece Gasol for Kwame Brown they could do it again!!

The bad part about this trade rumor being out there is that its lowering Calderon's value on the trade market.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                      Freaking arrogant Lakers, probably thought that if they could fleece Gasol for Kwame Brown they could do it again!!

The bad part about this trade rumor being out there is that its lowering Calderon's value on the trade market.
                      I don't think this will have any affect on his trade value. Anyone with any sense and the power to make real basketball decisions wouldn't believe that this was ever really being considered because it's ridiculous.

Comment

im pretty sure they traded Gasol for Gasol... & at the time seemed more lopsided then it does now.

Comment

the gasol trade was a cash dump. we won't be doing that.

i think that at least other teams know what we won't take now and were not just giving away jose. he is a player and we want fair market value in return.

i like steve blake though and would take him any day of the week on the team

Comment

Terrible trade.

We should do something like this.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=9kts2l8

If any of you want to hire me as the GM of your NBA franchise send me a tweet @That'sBalla ...

Get at me dog.
                            Last edited by madeupid25; Tue Oct 16, 2012, 04:07 AM.

Comment

If we were to trade Jose, I say package him along with one of Davis or Amir for a young potential stud of a SF as opposed to aging veteran. I don't think there is a chance Jose will net us a Rudy Gay.

1) Jose + Davis to Dallas for V.Carter and Jae Crowder (our future SF)
                              2) Jose + Bargs to Phoenix for Aaron Brooks, Beasly, and Markieff Morris (our future SF or PF)
                              3) Jose + Davis to Orlando for JJ Reddick + Maurice Harkless (our future SF)
                              4) Jose + Amir to Detroit for Tayshaun Prince + Jonas Jerebreko (our future SF)
                              5) Jose + Amir to Philidelphia for Craig Brackins + Dorrel Wright (our future SF)
                              6) Jose + Davis to Utah for Raja Bell + Alec Burks (our future SF)

I would love to see one of Harkless, Jerebreko or Wright as our future SF.

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                                If we were to trade Jose, I say package him along with one of Davis or Amir for a young potential stud of a SF as opposed to aging veteran. I don't think there is a chance Jose will net us a Rudy Gay.

1) Jose + Davis to Dallas for V.Carter and Jae Crowder (our future SF)
                                2) Jose + Bargs to Phoenix for Aaron Brooks, Beasly, and Markieff Morris (our future SF or PF)
                                3) Jose + Davis to Orlando for JJ Reddick + Maurice Harkless (our future SF)
                                4) Jose + Amir to Detroit for Tayshaun Prince + Jonas Jerebreko (our future SF)
                                5) Jose + Amir to Philidelphia for Craig Brackins + Dorrel Wright (our future SF)
                                6) Jose + Davis to Utah for Raja Bell + Alec Burks (our future SF)

I would love to see one of Harkless, Jerebreko or Wright as our future SF.
                                There is not a single one of those trades that is even close to being legal under the CBA.

Comment

Working...
                                X