Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GAME THREAD: Will We Win against the wily WSH Wizards without Wall? (Lowry's back!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Not sure if this has been discussed here, but why wasn't Terrence Ross playing yesterday?
    sore knee

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      sore knee
      Ugh. And Bargs left with a Calf Contusion? Rough start to the 'season'.

Comment

These preseason games, to me, are just about JV-watching. Kyle Lowry looked like the same guy I expected him to be, which is nothing special. Still waiting to see this supposed top 10 point guard that some of you guys are talking about. Laundry Fields is being compared to Shane Battier but I don't understand why. Battier is great at a few things and just average in other areas and can do a lot of different things. Fields is average across the board. He's overpaid, but I guess he's a lot better than a previous 6M gaffe (Jason Kapono).

I had tickets for this game but I couldn't attend. Unfortunately I still have those tickets as I wasn't able to meet up with the one guy here who was interested in going. Ended up watching it on TV instead.

JV looks decent. He has basic fundamentals which is more than you can say for ~90% of the 7 footers we've had over the years. This is the most encouraging part for me. The setting of position and boxing out, hands always moving, not biting on every pump fake. That is all good news for us.

Physically, he looks small but other than freaks like Dwight Howard or Amare, every guy looks small coming into the NBA. At least he's not paper thin and seems to have the physique that would allow him to fill out a bit.

So far so good..
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          Ugh. And Bargs left with a Calf Contusion? Rough start to the 'season'.

Better than Kevin Love breaking his hand in practice and being out 4-8 wks. Yikes.

AB was terrible with his shooting ...hope it's temporary.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
            These preseason games, to me, are just about JV-watching. Kyle Lowry looked like the same guy I expected him to be, which is nothing special. Still waiting to see this supposed top 10 point guard that some of you guys are talking about. Laundry Fields is being compared to Shane Battier but I don't understand why. Battier is great at a few things and just average in other areas and can do a lot of different things. Fields is average across the board. He's overpaid, but I guess he's a lot better than a previous 6M gaffe (Jason Kapono).

I had tickets for this game but I couldn't attend. Unfortunately I still have those tickets as I wasn't able to meet up with the one guy here who was interested in going. Ended up watching it on TV instead.

JV looks decent. He has basic fundamentals which is more than you can say for ~90% of the 7 footers we've had over the years. This is the most encouraging part for me. The setting of position and boxing out, hands always moving, not biting on every pump fake. That is all good news for us.

Physically, he looks small but other than freaks like Dwight Howard or Amare, every guy looks small coming into the NBA. At least he's not paper thin and seems to have the physique that would allow him to fill out a bit.

So far so good..
            With a touch of bias I admit, I think a decent case can be made about Lowry being in the tail end of the top 10 PG list or very close. My own list (in no particular order would definitely include Paul, Williams, Westbrook, Rondo, Nash, Parker, Rose. Thereafter there are a few who would fall in the next tier....Irving, Curry, Lowry, Rubio, Lawson. Hope I havent missed anyone obvious.

Regarding Battier/Fields, its still a bit early to make direct comparison imo, but I do see similarities in all round capabilities and the potential to be a glue guy (incl off court). Battier's top ability is his lock down defense (which was very imp. for the Heat championship) and Fields displays similar possibilities.

Comment

Thought this was amusing:

Beal didn’t necessarily have it easy in his first four preseason games, but he didn’t seem prepared for what the Raptors were throwing at him. He also was growing increasingly frustrated that no matter how closely he contested Jose Calderon, the veteran point guard kept making three-pointers over him.

“I was like, ‘What else can I do more?’ ” Beal said.
              http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ht-in-toronto/

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                LOL

Welcome to the big leagues, Brad!

I am sure he will adjust soon enough. He is too talented.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                  Totally agree; but we don't want Bargnani to (just) be a spacing device.
                  That's where I'm also trying to come from though, if Bargnani is effective, wouldn't the game be easier and better for guys like Derozan, Lowry, JV?
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                    Regarding Battier/Fields, its still a bit early to make direct comparison imo, but I do see similarities in all round capabilities and the potential to be a glue guy (incl off court). Battier's top ability is his lock down defense (which was very imp. for the Heat championship) and Fields displays similar possibilities.
                    Battier also contains great composure and poise, and that's something Fields has. Composure in terms of no fouls, and patience. Fields is a very good defender, but the one thing he needs to get to 'Battier' level, is his shooting.

Comment

Trying not to get to excited about JV but it's hard not to. Every time I see him I can't help but think he's not even close to his ceiling... barely scratching the surface of what he'll be doing in 2 years, let alone 5 or 6.

Very happy to see him try to force his offence a few times even though they were turnovers. He had the right idea but took too long to make it happen. Still, it demonstrates to me that the talent is there.

This is the most excited I've been about a Raptor player since Bosh debuted. Watching this roster for two years, I can barely remember what elite NBA talent looks like.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                        Trying not to get to excited about JV but it's hard not to. Every time I see him I can't help but think he's not even close to his ceiling... barely scratching the surface of what he'll be doing in 2 years, let alone 5 or 6.

Very happy to see him try to force his offence a few times even though they were turnovers. He had the right idea but took too long to make it happen. Still, it demonstrates to me that the talent is there.

This is the most excited I've been about a Raptor player since Bosh debuted. Watching this roster for two years, I can barely remember what elite NBA talent looks like.
                        +1

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                          Battier also contains great composure and poise, and that's something Fields has. Composure in terms of no fouls, and patience. Fields is a very good defender, but the one thing he needs to get to 'Battier' level, is his shooting.
                          Word. +1

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                            That's where I'm also trying to come from though, if Bargnani is effective, wouldn't the game be easier and better for guys like Derozan, Lowry, JV?
                            Probably, but I wonder what kind of chances an attacking Bargnani would give to DeRozan.

Comment

Tesla wrote: View Post
                              He probably could, and has.
                              nah. Maybe the dunking part but not the pump fake. Vesely is a terrible shooter so no one would fall for his fake.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                                Probably, but I wonder what kind of chances an attacking Bargnani would give to DeRozan.
                                Pretty good chances. I mean, if Derozan is playing well down low, shouldn't that allow Bargnani to be aggressive?

Comment

Working...
                                X