Rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    I'd rather at this moment, trade Jose, Amir, and Bargnani. Ed's fourth year option was exercised, and Derozan has been far more impressive than Bargnani has. BUT, it's pre-season, LOL. We'll see what happens mid November/December time.

I really see that this team can be extremely successful on both ends WITHOUT Bargnani, and honestly, it's kind of proving it's point watching these pre-season games. Bargnani has been invisible on both ends of the floor.
    Like you said, it's preseason. I think Bargs' offense will truly be needed come reg season vs the big boys. And he will shine!(I can't believe I'm a Bargnan advocate now. Multipaul Eat Your Heart Out!!!!). I can see him flourishing with JV in the post though!

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
      Like you said, it's preseason. I think Bargs' offense will truly be needed come reg season vs the big boys. And he will shine!(I can't believe I'm a Bargnan advocate now. Multipaul Eat Your Heart Out!!!!). I can see him flourishing with JV in the post though!
      I can too, but it seems like this team is into establishing more of Demar earlier! :S
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
        I'd rather at this moment, trade Jose, Amir, and Bargnani. Ed's fourth year option was exercised, and Derozan has been far more impressive than Bargnani has. BUT, it's pre-season, LOL. We'll see what happens mid November/December time.

I really see that this team can be extremely successful on both ends WITHOUT Bargnani, and honestly, it's kind of proving it's point watching these pre-season games. Bargnani has been invisible on both ends of the floor.
        I wouldn't want to give up on bargs at this stage. But moving a few players out to drastically improve at the 2 or 3, for years, would provide an added bonus of clearing up our rotation. Ross, Amir, Lucas, Kleiza, Gray. You're welcome Brian.
        Last edited by big boi; Thu Oct 18, 2012, 02:18 AM.

Comment

STARTERS
          Lowry
          DeRozan
          Fields
          Bargnani
          Valanciunas

BENCH
          Calderon
          Ross
          Kleiza
          Amir

Depending on matchups and foul trouble, I expect Davis and Gray to get some significant playing time as well, but I can see Casey only going 9-10 deep during any given game.

I don't expect Lucas, Anderson, Acy or the 15th man to get much burn most games.
          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Oct 18, 2012, 11:13 AM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            Depending on matchups and foul trouble, I expect Davis and Gray to get some significant playing time as well, but I can see Casey only going 9-10 deep during any given game.
            My guess is JV will determine the bigs rotation. If he can be productive and play 30 minutes a game it's going to be real tough for Gray and Davis/Amir to see the floor. Having said that, it's only a matter of time until Bargs gets hurt as Casey runs him into the ground, so there will be minutes.

The other thing is that NBA coaches generally open up the bench in the first 10 games or so to 11 or 12 guys before they narrow it down. A guy like Davis could earn himself a spot in the rotation if he's lights out in that stretch.

On a personal note, I'm really hoping to see as little of Kleiza as possible. I just don't like how he plays. If Ross can handle minutes, I'd much prefer to see Kleiza waving towels.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
              On a personal note, I'm really hoping to see as little of Kleiza as possible. I just don't like how he plays. If Ross can handle minutes, I'd much prefer to see Kleiza waving towels.
              This. He's been bugging me especially of late. And that's saying something, cause I've considered him a scrub for a WHILE. Too slow to play the 3, too small to play the 4...when his shot is off (usually), I'd rather have Milt Palacio on the floor.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                My guess is JV will determine the bigs rotation. If he can be productive and play 30 minutes a game it's going to be real tough for Gray and Davis/Amir to see the floor. Having said that, it's only a matter of time until Bargs gets hurt as Casey runs him into the ground, so there will be minutes.

The other thing is that NBA coaches generally open up the bench in the first 10 games or so to 11 or 12 guys before they narrow it down. A guy like Davis could earn himself a spot in the rotation if he's lights out in that stretch.

Totally agree on JV's play having a huge impact on playing time for Amir, Davis, Gray, etc...

I disagree with you on Kleiza though. If JV can prove capable of handling big minutes, then I think either Amir/Davis needs to go (more than I have since last offseason). With JV & Bargnani starting and Gray & Amir/Davis as the primary backups, I think there's a good opportunity for Kleiza to get lots of playing time in the 2nd unit, at both the SF and PF positions. He is a streaky-good shooter and can post-up as well, potentially providing all sorts of mismatches to take advantage of on the offensive end. I worry that having Amir & Davis on the 2nd unit together (again, assuming JV can log heavy minutes with the starting lineup) is going to get clunky, since their games are too similar.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  Totally agree on JV's play having a huge impact on playing time for Amir, Davis, Gray, etc...

I disagree with you on Kleiza though. If JV can prove capable of handling big minutes, then I think either Amir/Davis needs to go (more than I have since last offseason). With JV & Bargnani starting and Gray & Amir/Davis as the primary backups, I think there's a good opportunity for Kleiza to get lots of playing time in the 2nd unit, at both the SF and PF positions. He is a streaky-good shooter and can post-up as well, potentially providing all sorts of mismatches to take advantage of on the offensive end. I worry that having Amir & Davis on the 2nd unit together (again, assuming JV can log heavy minutes with the starting lineup) is going to get clunky, since their games are too similar.
                  +1. Although, you can't help but say Kleiza looks a little out of the loop on this team.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Lucas has definitely been making a case for himself to be seriously considered when the team needs an offensive boost. I can see him and Lowry playing together in late game/close game situations. He gives up a few inches but his defence is good. Maguire will obvioulsy be used against specific players to give them a totally different look and throw them off their game.

Alan Anderson is also showing solid D and effective offence. The Raps are injury ready. There won't be a huge drop off if even any two starters were hurt at the same time. And more to the point, the coach won't have to ride any horse so hard it is put in danger of injury. I don't think overuse is going to be an excuse any player will be able to use.

Be interesting to see what the average minutes played looks like for the starters. On the Raptors it could turn out to be the lowest in the league. And they really can afford to play flat out. Other teams could wind up hating to play against this team, simply because of the pace, and how hard they are hounded by the defence.

Comment

Casey's "8-9 man rotation".

So what do we expect this "8-9 man rotation," that has been alluded to, to be? I think the first 8 players are pretty obvious: DeRozan, Bargnani, Valanciunas, Lowry, Fields, Davis, Johnson and Calderon. But who will be the 9th?

I really hope it's Ross because over the years I have become very confirmed in my belief that young players need floor time to get better and it's that simple.

I'm concerned that Casey will choose to compromise Ross's development in order to win more, ie., I'm concerned we'll see a lot more Alan Anderson than Ross.

So anyways my question is, again, who will be the 9th man?

Comment

if all those guys are in there 9man rotation id have to say the next in line would be JL3.. im still expecting someone to get moved soon so i doubt its set in stone yet..

Comment

Depth is one of the team's obvious strengths. This 9-man talk is just the coach's latest motivational technique. Casey likes ostentatious motivational devices. It's his little serious-jokey signature thing. We'll see or 12 to 14 players hit the floor for 5+ minutes most every game I expect. Role play is good. Wearing out the other team is good.

Comment

Beagle wrote: View Post
                            Depth is one of the team's obvious strengths. This 9-man talk is just the coach's latest motivational technique. Casey likes ostentatious motivational devices. It's his little serious-jokey signature thing. We'll see or 12 to 14 players hit the floor for 5+ minutes most every game I expect. Role play is good. Wearing out the other team is good.
                            Agreed, and all that depth will help win a ton of road games. This is going to be an exciting year for sure

Comment

Bargs, DD, Lowry, Fields, Val, and Calderon are the only players I expect to see consistent minutes. Everyone else will be based on match ups and how they are looking that day.
                              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Beagle wrote: View Post
                                I agree for the most part...but 12-14 seeing 5+ minutes might be over the top. Although I agree with this in a sense because I believe our top 12-14 (depending on how you feel about McGuire) could be part of any top 9-10 rotation. I don't know if the team has ever been this deep.

Probably see 10-11 being used every game...I see Ross and Anderson as the natural backups at the wing spots. That would be a 10-man as a somewhat regular rotation for somewhat regular matchups. It wiill be 11 when Ross struggles and probably Kleiza comes in with Anderson sliding to backup SG, or maybe we play small and Lucas gets extra burn. And this is all assuming a "normal" situation...meaning where we're not trying to matchup small/big, or load the floor with shooters, or defenders, etc...
                                Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Oct 21, 2012, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X