Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 59

Thread: Steve Nash: 'I was very close' to joining Raptors

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well, I agree with that much.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Don't forget about the Lakers $3-billion dollar tv contract.

    http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oct...rs-tv-20121007

    (BTW, the click is worth it for the above article. Nuts.)
    That reminds me a lot of what happened when TSN2 and Sportsnet One were introduced a couple of years ago. Actually Belltv still doesn't carry NBA League Pass and, as far as I know, never has. I'd buy it if they offered it. They can't use lack of spectrum as an excuse anymore.

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Brandon wrote: View Post
    That reminds me a lot of what happened when TSN2 and Sportsnet One were introduced a couple of years ago. Actually Belltv still doesn't carry NBA League Pass and, as far as I know, never has. I'd buy it if they offered it. They can't use lack of spectrum as an excuse anymore.
    I assume you mean Bell Satellite and at least they have NBA TV Canada. Bell Fibre Op does not even offer NBA TV Canada.

    Online streams for the preseason.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,074
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I assume you mean Bell Satellite and at least they have NBA TV Canada. Bell Fibre Op does not even offer NBA TV Canada.

    Online streams for the preseason.
    Wow, Bell has a different channel lineup for Satellite and Fibe??? WTF :s
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Wow, Bell has a different channel lineup for Satellite and Fibe??? WTF :s
    I'm glad someone else thinks it is WTF worthy.

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,074
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I'm glad someone else thinks it is WTF worthy.
    I no longer feel bad for "stealing" my in-laws' satellite signal from Bell. Actually, I never felt bad [insert diabolically evil laugh].
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    hopefully we beat the lakers when they visit toronto this year haha

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,833
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote xunknownx wrote: View Post
    hopefully we beat the lakers when they visit toronto this year haha
    Not only will we beat them. Kyle Lowry will break Steve Nash's ankles and drain the game winning three pointer making Charles Barkley take back everything he said and bow down in envy. Then the whole league will envy the Toronto Raptors and we'll go on to win 3 straight Championships

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Not only will we beat them. Kyle Lowry will break Steve Nash's ankles and drain the game winning three pointer making Charles Barkley take back everything he said and bow down in envy. Then the whole league will envy the Toronto Raptors and we'll go on to win 3 straight Championships
    And they'll rename the 'O'brian trophy' to the 'Valanciunas trophy'. Success!

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,833
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    And they'll rename the 'O'brian trophy' to the 'Valanciunas trophy'. Success!
    haha yea

  11. #31
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,707
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    W'ictory Baby

  12. #32
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    552
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    I rather call your mother.
    my mom won't help you, but if you're that upset about Nash not signing with the Raptors then maybe you need your mommy?

    Seriously get over it people. It would've been bad for this team in every aspect that isn't PR related. The guy made a choice that he believed was best for him (and his family too). There's absolutely no reason anybody in Toronto should be upset over this, but clearly that's not the case with this the Toronto fanbases' maturity level.

  13. #33
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    965
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KHD wrote: View Post
    I have no problem with him taking his best shot at a title, but what does bother me is the fact that the Lakers can still outspend everyone else in the league despite the CBA. Might as well admit the fact that the NBA is more like European football than the NFL, and abandon the so-called salary cap.
    I feel your pain, but keep in mind that two of the most significant aspects of the new CBA haven't been implemented yet:

    One is that starting in 2013-14, teams cannot complete a sign-and-trade if it will put them above the apron ($4 million above the tax threshold). Meaning that if this was next summer, the Nash sign-and-trade would be impossible.

    The other is that starting in 2013-14, we'll see the harsher tax penalties kick in, and then in 2014-15, the repeater rates kick in. Right now (I'm ballparking these numbers), the Lakers are at about $100 million in payroll, and the tax level is $70 million. They pay a dollar-to-dollar penalty, meaning $30 million. If those numbers were to continue in 2013-14, they'd pay $75.75 million in tax that season. If those numbers stay the same in 2014-15, then with the repeater rate, the Lakers would be paying $112.5 million in tax. I'm not sure even the Lakers would be able to pay $212.5 million on player salaries per season.

    I'm not saying the new CBA is definitely going to work once these provisions kick in. I've honestly got no idea. But we shouldn't be judging the new CBA until it's fully implemented.

  14. #34
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,460
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Lakers also have one of the best GM's and owners in the league. It's a very smartly run team. They play fairly within the confines of the CBA. Most of the talent they acquired were through draft picks and trades, and then resigned their own talent using bird rights. In comparison, NY probably has more money but have been fairly putrid for the past few decades.

  15. #35
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    The Lakers also have one of the best GM's and owners in the league. It's a very smartly run team. They play fairly within the confines of the CBA. Most of the talent they acquired were through draft picks and trades, and then resigned their own talent using bird rights. In comparison, NY probably has more money but have been fairly putrid for the past few decades.
    Exactly. I'm tired of hearing this team is a team the Raptors will never ever be able to compete with because ownership won't spend. There are a couple of reasons the team won't or hasn't spent. First there is a CBA. You can't add salary because there is a desire. The only time the Raptors were in a situation to pay luxury tax, they did. It subsequently crippled the organization for years and was a contributing factor to the forced exile of the best player the franchise has ever known. Second you need to have talent. This is what Raptor fans should be upset with - and many of course are. There has been a lack of talent worthy of the money. planetmars nailed it: the Lakers have great management and ownership that understood the previous CBA. They add assets and acquire top talent which they then use Bird Rights to extend - extending top talent via Bird Rights is what pushes teams deep in to luxury tax territory. It will be interesting to see what happens with them moving forward when they can't sign and trade anyone or for anyone, they have tighter trade ranges with regards to money, and they have smaller exceptions to use.

  16. #36
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Exactly. I'm tired of hearing this team is a team the Raptors will never ever be able to compete with because ownership won't spend. There are a couple of reasons the team won't or hasn't spent. First there is a CBA. You can't add salary because there is a desire. The only time the Raptors were in a situation to pay luxury tax, they did. It subsequently crippled the organization for years and was a contributing factor to the forced exile of the best player the franchise has ever known. Second you need to have talent. This is what Raptor fans should be upset with - and many of course are. There has been a lack of talent worthy of the money. planetmars nailed it: the Lakers have great management and ownership that understood the previous CBA. They add assets and acquire top talent which they then use Bird Rights to extend - extending top talent via Bird Rights is what pushes teams deep in to luxury tax territory. It will be interesting to see what happens with them moving forward when they can't sign and trade anyone or for anyone, they have tighter trade ranges with regards to money, and they have smaller exceptions to use.
    I think the other kicker here, albeit cap space, willing to pay luxury tax, etc. is the willingness of the player to come to the team and play. doesnt matter how good your GM is, doesnt matter how much money youre willing to spend, if the player is not willing to play in your area, then its all pointless.

  17. #37
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Utter bullshit. He never had any remote intention of coming here. This is all weeks later lip service.

  18. #38
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No surprise here. I 've always thought that Nash was bullshitting anyways when he said he picked the Lakers "for the sake of being closer to his kids". In no way shape or form was he ever close to signing with the Raptors. Even if he says he waited for the assurance that the Lakers will swing for the fences to get Howard, they still had a championship caliber team with Bynum even if the deal didnt happen. So there really was no thinking about it, bottomline is, if he wanted a championship all along, the Lakers was it, if it came down between the Lakers and Raptors, and thats what it was.

    Pretty much damage control at this point.

  19. #39
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    this sums up what i said. hahaha

  20. #40
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,074
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    No surprise here. I 've always thought that Nash was bullshitting anyways when he said he picked the Lakers "for the sake of being closer to his kids". In no way shape or form was he ever close to signing with the Raptors. Even if he says he waited for the assurance that the Lakers will swing for the fences to get Howard, they still had a championship caliber team with Bynum even if the deal didnt happen. So there really was no thinking about it, bottomline is, if he wanted a championship all along, the Lakers was it, if it came down between the Lakers and Raptors, and thats what it was.

    Pretty much damage control at this point.
    The Lakers didn't make an offer until the 11th hour though.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •