Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Outlook on Terrence Ross?

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote minks77 wrote: View Post
    It's too early to tell put PJIII is the one I think we missed out on. He's putting up some numbers, has had a lot of talk over the past 3 years and he plays a spot we still could improve on with the right size and athleticism.

I'm not down on Ross but the initial, knee jerk, gut feeling I've had since the draft was PJIII was a missed opportunity.
    Agreed on PJIII. Was really hoping we drafted this kid.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As for Ross, he looked far better in Summer League than he's looked in 3 preseason games so far. But we need to keep reminding ourselves that it's still early.

The one thing that has struck me is that Ross looks kinda lazy on the offensive end. I'm sure he's still learning how to get open, but he doesn't do much without the ball, and he's been forcing shots too.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree on both statements made about Barnes and PJ3 as they would have filled a need at SF as well as brought potential All Star talent.

As far as Ross goes it's really early still. They don't run plays for him so really the only thing he's been able to show thus far is defense which he has done okay with right now. I'm hoping the Rap's explore a rotation with both he and DeMar on the floor at the same time. I think at this point in Ross' development he would be best used as a defender and spot up shooter. If DeMar continues his aggressive attack of the basket style play he's shown in the preseason, Ross would be best served spacing the floor by spotting up at the 3pt line.

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    As for Ross, he looked far better in Summer League than he's looked in 3 preseason games so far. But we need to keep reminding ourselves that it's still early.

The one thing that has struck me is that Ross looks kinda lazy on the offensive end. I'm sure he's still learning how to get open, but he doesn't do much without the ball, and he's been forcing shots too.
    I've noticed that too. For a guy who draws all kinds of comparisons to guys like Reggie and Rip, at least physically, I'm not seeing too much off the ball creativity or any of that palatable hunger on the offensive end. He looks like every other forgettable 2 guard the league has ever known just kinda standing around and waiting for his turn.

Again, too early to tell and granted it may be the system but stil...
    "Analytics has a place. It can’t be the be all end all. I’m still trying to figure out when the Oakland Athletics won a championship with all the analytics they have."
    —Coach Hollins, who is a better basketball mind than you are.

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote minks77 wrote: View Post
    I've noticed that too. For a guy who draws all kinds of comparisons to guys like Reggie and Rip, at least physically, I'm not seeing too much off the ball creativity or any of that palatable hunger on the offensive end. He looks like every other forgettable 2 guard the league has ever known just kinda stnding around and waiting for his turn.

Again, too early to tell and granted it may be the system but stil...
    It could be the system.. because they definitely don't run plays for him. They need him making backdoor cuts and coming off screens like Rip. He'll master it with practice.. I just hope Casey understands how valuable he could be if he runs those types of plays with him on the floor

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

He is a good shooter.. has a good cross over / shake move to free himself hopefully he can use that as well drive past defenders & attack the rim. I think he & DD will compliment each other

Post Thanks / Like

Ross has a good NBA foundation to work from --can shoot the ball (amazing looking stroke, splashes them in) and can already defend very well. Tack on his speed and leaping ability, he has enough skill to contribute on day one. Give him some time to learn the system, his teammates, NBA speed, then post this thread. Like a month into the season, not half a month into pre season.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't sure where this should be placed, so I thought I would throw it in here as we are discussing Ross' potential. The Point Forward blog on SI.com just released their 67 reasons to look forward to the 67th NBA season. Here was number 26:

The arrival of instinctive swingman Terrence Ross in Toronto — both as a promising prospect on his own terms and as a spark to light a fire under DeMar DeRozan.
    I love the use of a word like 'instinctive.'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Searching for a role, figuring out how he fits in. It's been 3 preseason games. Way too early to judge anything.

He also is going to need to be on the floor with the right guys around him. This team doesn't have any playmakers other than Lowry and doesn't have any good, consistent passers other than Lowry and Calderon - maybe Fields - and I think that is going to hurt Ross as he is going to play off others at this stage. PLaying with guys like Derozan, Bargnani, Kleiza, Lucas who are allergic to passing won't help him.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

i've been pleased with what i've seen from Ross for this reason. He's done what he has been asked to do, shoot the ball (mainly the open 3) and also play hard defence. He's done an excellent job at both, i'm more happy with him now then i was when he was originally drafted. Im confident in saying with no real proof that he is going to be a solid pick in the present and in the future. He will not be asked of too much this year he just needs to do what he's asked very well to contribute in his what i assume will be limited minutes. Down the road if he progresses as we all hope i could very easily see him being the go to scorer on the offensive end but one step at a time.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

It frustrates me people are talking like this (saying they want Austin Rivers -- WTF?) only 3 games into the preseason. If you watched any Washington NCAA games last year you can tell this kid has the killer instinct on offense. People talk about his shooting and defending, but often forget about his athletic and finishing ability. He dunks HARD, and has an extraordinary leaping ability. He simply isn't very involved in the offense ATM, because he's not having plays run for him. That's expected for a rookie.

He has some Vince and T Mac in him. Not saying he'll be that good, but he can be.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

T Ross will be huge off the bench for us

Post Thanks / Like

Being NBA ready is something that is appealing to me. Jonas has proven he's far more NBA ready than people thought, if anything the most NBA ready rookie in the league so far from watching GS, POR, CHA, and NO.

Terrence seems like a project right now, but can turn into a really good player, I just hope that once season starts, we'll see the offense more consistently. Defense has exceeded my expectations.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we haven't seen enough to really pass judgement on Ross. I mean, we've only seen him for a handful of sets really, and these were his first opportunities to play against NBA competition. We'll just have to wait and see, but so far, he's at least looking like he can play some decent D on the wing, which is nice.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ross is not the Answer

I expect he will not be in Casey's 8-9 men rotation.

Lowry, DeRozan, Fields, Bargs, Val, Davis, Amir, Calderon

Questionable
    Lucas, Kleiza, Anderson, Ross

Benchwarmers or Sub for the Injured
    Gray, Acy, Magloire???

So, what will Ross stats be at the end of the season if he's not in the lineup, I just hope he scores at least 6ppg and finish something like 7.5ppg in his rookie season unless one of DeRozan or Fields is traded but we will see.

Should've picked Royce White, Terrence Jones, Maurice Harkless, Andre Drummond, or Andrew Nicholsson but then again if and only if we win the coin toss with the Warriors, we would be getting Barnes with Fields come off the bench.

I like Ross but he would probably flourish on another team where they desperately need a 2 guard. Maybe Colangelo will package him and Calderon for a star-caliber 3 when trade deadline comes around.

Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What the heck

It's only preseason ffs and he's been injured

Casey's gonna play him more in the last few games to get a good idea of where he should be, either if it's in the rotation or not

Calm down dude now is not the time to overreact
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

NEVER FORGET... NUMERO OCHO 👌 #saluteJose

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tenforthewin wrote: View Post
    I expect he will not be in Casey's 8-9 men rotation.

Lowry, DeRozan, Fields, Bargs, Val, Davis, Amir, Calderon

Questionable
    Lucas, Kleiza, Anderson, Ross

Benchwarmers or Sub for the Injured
    Gray, Acy, Magloire???

So, what will Ross stats be at the end of the season if he's not in the lineup, I just hope he scores at least 6ppg and finish something like 7.5ppg in his rookie season unless one of DeRozan or Fields is traded but we will see.

Should've picked Royce White, Terrence Jones, Maurice Harkless, Andre Drummond, or Andrew Nicholsson but then again if and only if we win the coin toss with the Warriors, we would be getting Barnes with Fields come off the bench.

I like Ross but he would probably flourish on another team where they desperately need a 2 guard. Maybe Colangelo will package him and Calderon for a star-caliber 3 when trade deadline comes around.
    I answered similarly in the other thread .. but the key thing you are missing is that DD and Fields cant shoot from distance .. so you will need to have someone in at the 2/3 playing consistent minutes who can actually shoot. Ross is the obvious answer to me .. with Jose getting some spot duty at 2 and LK some at 3/4

Raptors Republic Rookie pillowmint's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What in the drugs are you talking about?!?!

Can you imagine - Dwayne Casey to BriCo. 'yeah so this rookie hasn't worked out during a couple of minutes in a pre-season game...I know, I know you picked him 8th. I'm just saying let's just cut him now and see if we can move on this Adam Morrison kid, he was great during the pre-season!'

Look, sorry to hate on, that was rude. But it's like when people saw the first JV game, it's ok for the kid not to get it right away takes a bit of time. Now look, he has a decent game and throws down on Amare and he's our favorite again. I think it's important to stay grounded during the pre-season. Sure it gives us a little insight as to what we may be previewing, but the coaches care more about trying and implementing new systems while the cost of a win isn't as great. Just watch, our boy Ross will be back at it again in no time
    i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote pillowmint wrote: View Post
    What in the drugs are you talking about?!?!
    Tenforthewin, change your name to tenforthebaggie, 'cause you must be smoking something illegal with thread ideas and trades that you've been coming up with lately.

Just saying.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Th0m79 wrote: View Post
    I think we haven't seen enough to really pass judgement on Ross. I mean, we've only seen him for a handful of sets really, and these were his first opportunities to play against NBA competition. We'll just have to wait and see, but so far, he's at least looking like he can play some decent D on the wing, which is nice.
    More than decent D in my opinion, if things don't work out offensively, he has the potential to be a stopper, he works extremely hard on the defensive end, and has the athleticism to get up and put it on the stat sheet.

Thread Information