Outlook on Terrence Ross?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    ...I just wanted to get the thoughts of people on Ross overall. I'm going to bring this up maybe in mid-November or so.
    Be a good thread to return too. So far Ross seems to be shooting within the rhythm of the game. A couple of bad passes that are more related to better defenders than he is expecting as opposed to bad decisions on his part. Nice looking shot, nice stoke, seems to be able to handle the ball, good, heads up defender who isn't easily thrown off by screens. And so far consistent effort, which is to be expected of a rookie going to the Dwayne Casey church of "Give me defensive effort or ride the pine." I've been well pleased.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
      Be a good thread to return too. So far Ross seems to be shooting within the rhythm of the game. A couple of bad passes that are more related to better defenders than he is expecting as opposed to bad decisions on his part. Nice looking shot, nice stoke, seems to be able to handle the ball, good, heads up defender who isn't easily thrown off by screens. And so far consistent effort, which is to be expected of a rookie going to the Dwayne Casey church of "Give me defensive effort or ride the pine." I've been well pleased.
      Im with you. I like what I see so far. He has the best stroke on the team (maybe Jose is a little better), looks smooth and under control. D looks solid (although not great yet). Hes far from perfect .. some sloppy shots and a few ill advised passes .. but thats life.

I cant believe people are even talking about Rivers - he sucks. Drummond has shown flashes of brilliance and may have the most upside of anyone in the draft .. so that one may sting (but it COULD sting just as hard for everyone, including the Hornets with AD - thats how good this guy COULD be (or he could be a bust, in which case his draft spot was right about on).

But, relative to Rivers, Lamb, Barnes .. Im good with Ross so far.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
        Im with you. I like what I see so far. He has the best stroke on the team (maybe Jose is a little better), looks smooth and under control. D looks solid (although not great yet). Hes far from perfect .. some sloppy shots and a few ill advised passes .. but thats life.

I cant believe people are even talking about Rivers - he sucks. Drummond has shown flashes of brilliance and may have the most upside of anyone in the draft .. so that one may sting (but it COULD sting just as hard for everyone, including the Hornets with AD - thats how good this guy COULD be (or he could be a bust, in which case his draft spot was right about on).

But, relative to Rivers, Lamb, Barnes .. Im good with Ross so far.
        I'd much rather Barnes to be honest. That one stings for me especially considering it was a coin flip that determined his landing in Golden State at 7.

Comment

It's too early to tell put PJIII is the one I think we missed out on. He's putting up some numbers, has had a lot of talk over the past 3 years and he plays a spot we still could improve on with the right size and athleticism.

I'm not down on Ross but the initial, knee jerk, gut feeling I've had since the draft was PJIII was a missed opportunity.
          LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

I really don't get the love for Rivers. He seems to me to just be a under-sized high volume shooter, so far the stats seem to back that up. I think he would have been a terrible pick for the Raps (or any team in the lottery).

Ross's game wont dominate the way some people probably want, but if he can defend reasonable well on the wing, and add some good 3 pt shooting ~ this year ~ then he will have done his job. Eventually he will have to develop other areas of his game (ball handling, passing, rebounding) but for this year, 2 things.

I agree with Matt that Barnes would have been great for the team. The guy I really wanted was Lillard, but getting Lowry off-sets that anyway since we wouldn't have been able to trade for a wing player that good to balance the roster. But I am happy with Ross over Lamb and certainly over Rivers. PJ3 still interests me but I think 8 might have been too high a risk for him. I would have thought the teens would have been the most logical spot for him to land.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
              It's too early to tell put PJIII is the one I think we missed out on. He's putting up some numbers, has had a lot of talk over the past 3 years and he plays a spot we still could improve on with the right size and athleticism.

I'm not down on Ross but the initial, knee jerk, gut feeling I've had since the draft was PJIII was a missed opportunity.
              Agreed on PJIII. Was really hoping we drafted this kid.

Comment

As for Ross, he looked far better in Summer League than he's looked in 3 preseason games so far. But we need to keep reminding ourselves that it's still early.

The one thing that has struck me is that Ross looks kinda lazy on the offensive end. I'm sure he's still learning how to get open, but he doesn't do much without the ball, and he's been forcing shots too.

Comment

Agree on both statements made about Barnes and PJ3 as they would have filled a need at SF as well as brought potential All Star talent.

As far as Ross goes it's really early still. They don't run plays for him so really the only thing he's been able to show thus far is defense which he has done okay with right now. I'm hoping the Rap's explore a rotation with both he and DeMar on the floor at the same time. I think at this point in Ross' development he would be best used as a defender and spot up shooter. If DeMar continues his aggressive attack of the basket style play he's shown in the preseason, Ross would be best served spacing the floor by spotting up at the 3pt line.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    As for Ross, he looked far better in Summer League than he's looked in 3 preseason games so far. But we need to keep reminding ourselves that it's still early.

The one thing that has struck me is that Ross looks kinda lazy on the offensive end. I'm sure he's still learning how to get open, but he doesn't do much without the ball, and he's been forcing shots too.
                    I've noticed that too. For a guy who draws all kinds of comparisons to guys like Reggie and Rip, at least physically, I'm not seeing too much off the ball creativity or any of that palatable hunger on the offensive end. He looks like every other forgettable 2 guard the league has ever known just kinda standing around and waiting for his turn.

Again, too early to tell and granted it may be the system but stil...
                    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
                      I've noticed that too. For a guy who draws all kinds of comparisons to guys like Reggie and Rip, at least physically, I'm not seeing too much off the ball creativity or any of that palatable hunger on the offensive end. He looks like every other forgettable 2 guard the league has ever known just kinda stnding around and waiting for his turn.

Again, too early to tell and granted it may be the system but stil...
                      It could be the system.. because they definitely don't run plays for him. They need him making backdoor cuts and coming off screens like Rip. He'll master it with practice.. I just hope Casey understands how valuable he could be if he runs those types of plays with him on the floor

Comment

He is a good shooter.. has a good cross over / shake move to free himself hopefully he can use that as well drive past defenders & attack the rim. I think he & DD will compliment each other

Comment

Ross has a good NBA foundation to work from --can shoot the ball (amazing looking stroke, splashes them in) and can already defend very well. Tack on his speed and leaping ability, he has enough skill to contribute on day one. Give him some time to learn the system, his teammates, NBA speed, then post this thread. Like a month into the season, not half a month into pre season.

Comment

Wasn't sure where this should be placed, so I thought I would throw it in here as we are discussing Ross' potential. The Point Forward blog on SI.com just released their 67 reasons to look forward to the 67th NBA season. Here was number 26:

The arrival of instinctive swingman Terrence Ross in Toronto — both as a promising prospect on his own terms and as a spark to light a fire under DeMar DeRozan.
                            I love the use of a word like 'instinctive.'
                            http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Searching for a role, figuring out how he fits in. It's been 3 preseason games. Way too early to judge anything.

He also is going to need to be on the floor with the right guys around him. This team doesn't have any playmakers other than Lowry and doesn't have any good, consistent passers other than Lowry and Calderon - maybe Fields - and I think that is going to hurt Ross as he is going to play off others at this stage. PLaying with guys like Derozan, Bargnani, Kleiza, Lucas who are allergic to passing won't help him.

Comment

i've been pleased with what i've seen from Ross for this reason. He's done what he has been asked to do, shoot the ball (mainly the open 3) and also play hard defence. He's done an excellent job at both, i'm more happy with him now then i was when he was originally drafted. Im confident in saying with no real proof that he is going to be a solid pick in the present and in the future. He will not be asked of too much this year he just needs to do what he's asked very well to contribute in his what i assume will be limited minutes. Down the road if he progresses as we all hope i could very easily see him being the go to scorer on the offensive end but one step at a time.

Comment

Working...
                                X