Outlook on Terrence Ross?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook on Terrence Ross?

I want to get everyone's thoughts on Terrence Ross so far, because I've been very skeptical about him the past week and a half. I was actually fairly excited about drafting him, but now, I don't know.

Someone mentioned in one of the game threads "Ross is more of a project than I thought", and I'm leaning to agreeing with that.
    If anything, I was a huge supporter of drafting Austin Rivers.

Defensively he has exceeded my expectations, offensively, he has been quite disappointing. My opinion though.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

I'm still liking Ross to Rivers. they both are having pretty subpar preseasons, but Ross is a stronger defender and athlete, while Rivers is quite small, but still very talented.

I think its too early to say for Ross. The talent is there, it's whether or not he puts it all together. I believe he can contribute right away off the bench, and can turn into a solid scorer AND defender

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
      I'm still liking Ross to Rivers. they both are having pretty subpar preseasons, but Ross is a stronger defender and athlete, while Rivers is quite small, but still very talented.

I think its too early to say for Ross. The talent is there, it's whether or not he puts it all together. I believe he can contribute right away off the bench, and can turn into a solid scorer AND defender
      The difference between Rivers and Ross is fairly significant.

Rivers: Chance to be a star. Can score from anywhere on the floor, and has probably the most NBA-ready game. Extremely talented, but only solid defensively at best. High reward, BUT, high risk player. The thing with him though, at his worst, I can see him being a 16-18 minute type player to come in off the bench to score in bunches i.e. Barbosa.

Ross: Chance to be a really effective player in the league. Works extremely hard, and has the skill-set to stay in the league for maybe 10+ years. Great defender, great shooter, and like Rivers, both can score out of nowhere. He is a medium reward, low risk player. At worst, a shoot-and-stop type player like Sefolosha, Dahntay Jones, Keith Bogans. A player any team would like.

It's obviously too early, but I felt the need to get anyone's thoughts on Terrence Ross so far, he seems to have been a so-so player for me.

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
        I'm still liking Ross to Rivers.
        But what about Ross Vs Lamb?!

The outlook is not as upsetting as not selecting Drummond. So what if you have JV?! you need to pick based on the best player available and the Raptors instead selected for a need.

Ross looks ok but so far he doesn't strike me as someone who is going to someday be a NBA star but rather a backup.

Comment

I prefer Ross to Rivers... Apparently Ross destroyed Rivers in workouts.

Ross has only played 3 preseason games though, with only one really disappointing game... I'd wait it out.
          TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Ross looks good. If you look in the dictionary, uneven is the synonym for "rookie season." I will wait till December before I make any real decision on whether I think Ross was the "best" pick, but he was definitely a "good" pick based on what he has shown so far.

Comment

drummond doesn't even know how to play basketball and look at the above average numbers he is putting up. He has a very elite level of athleticism and good timing.

but what does that have to do with anything right?

Comment

Ross is going to be good, give him time.

Rivers is a black hole.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

you know why Rivers looks better? cause he's playing on one of the crappiest teams in the league. Ross is playing behind DeRozan and he doesn't get as much time to play. Rivers has all the freedom in the world, he'll probably get force fed minutes and put up high numbers. But T Ross is coming off the bench playing like 20 mins so he has to make the most of that and pick his spots on offense.

Comment

but seriously rivers hasn't even looked good
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                      i don't even watch the hornets. But Reuben says he played good so idk, i was just assuming

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        you know why Rivers looks better? cause he's playing on one of the crappiest teams in the league. Ross is playing behind DeRozan and he doesn't get as much time to play. Rivers has all the freedom in the world, he'll probably get force fed minutes and put up high numbers. But T Ross is coming off the bench playing like 20 mins so he has to make the most of that and pick his spots on offense.
                        +1 that and Rivers hasn't even been doing anything well. He average 30 mins a game while Ross averages 21 minutes a game. In that 30 minutes, Rivers jacks up about 10 shots per game to get 8.5 PPG at 31% from the field and 0% from 3. For a guy that is supposedly able to shoot from anywhere on the court, the 0% from 3 is pretty damn bad. In that 21 minutes, Ross jacks up about 7-8 shots per game to get 7.3 PPG at 37% from the field and 57% from 3. I'm still glad we took Ross. Rivers looks like a very huge gamble that I'm not really willing to take. He has a huge potential to be a star, but he also has the potential to be just another draft pick that will never live up to those star expectations....

Comment

liking him way better than rivers. didn't want rivers then either. his shot will fall. game speed, new schemes, better defenders are his issue right now. only a few come out in their first year looking like the player they will become. he will have some nights where he hits 80% of his shots and others where he hits nothing. him staying on the court is all his defensive effort and offense within the flow.

it's not like the team is running iso plays for him to get to the hole and he was never a slasher. kid is ray allen light. he can work on his drives and passing at practice but this year he will be a spot up shooter or 1/2 dribble shooter because that is what he is best at right now.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                            +1

not at all. pg putting up 1 assist a game in 20+ minutes when he is supposed to be learning to be a floor general ouch

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                              +1

not at all. pg putting up 1 assist a game in 20+ minutes when he is supposed to be learning to be a floor general ouch
                              Rivers is not at all a true point guard.

Who knows? I was huge on drafting Rivers, I just wanted to get the thoughts of people on Ross overall. I'm going to bring this up maybe in mid-November or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X