Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Playoff Watch Thread - Can the Raptors make it?!

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Playoff Watch Thread - Can the Raptors make it?!

They are now seven games behind the Celtics in the loss column but the Celtics have the tie-breaker.

The Raptors have been playing close to .700 ball over the last 20 or so games.

They have 35 games left of which 19 are at home where right now they are hotter than a pistol.

I think best case is that the Raptors win 24 or 25 of their remaining 35 games. If they win 24 of their remaining games including beating Boston in April then the Raptors will finish 49 - 33. The Celtics would then have to win no more than 19 of their 38 remaining games; i.e. .500 (21 at home vs 17 on the road) for the Raptors to finish ahead of the Celtics. The Celtics are 4-6 in their last 10 games.

Is it more than just a mathematical possibility at this point? I would say that it is definitely a very long shot, but it is possible. My guess is that the Raptors will win finish 48-34 and the Celtics 51 - 31.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

N o

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Anything is possible right?
    Garnett can go down with an injury as can Pierce, Rondo, or Allen.
    Still i dont see it happening. Its just a mathematical possibility, Boston isnt going to win only 50% of the games remaining.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

No.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

i think its possible ..

they got most of their harder games ahead of them .

2 LAKERs . 3 CLEVELAND . 2 DENVER . 1 orlando . spurs . dallas . utahh .

which include a 5 game road trip.

yes boston is a good team n if healthy alotta those games are winnable . but the way they are playin right now . i'd say from 11... 3 -8 / 4-7 ...

it might come down to the game vs raptors later this season ... heheee

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's more likely to take the 4th seed away from Orlando than it is to win the atlantic division. While Boston lost to Orlando just a few days ago, when Garnett returns to form they will be a much more difficult team.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't the championship question whether garnett will ever return to form? This guy has been plagued by injuries since winning it all, and he's only getting older and slower. Personally, I think it's all downhill from here for the Celts.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

quick update: the raps are now 5.5 games behind, with the raps vs pacers and celts vs. lakers later today

Raptors Republic Rookie MattyG-Ray's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Darien wrote: View Post
    Isn't the championship question whether garnett will ever return to form? This guy has been plagued by injuries since winning it all, and he's only getting older and slower. Personally, I think it's all downhill from here for the Celts.
    He certainly isn't the player he was 5 years ago, or even 2 years ago. But if healthy, he can still gear it up for big games and the playoffs. Because of their age, the Celtics are never going to go through a season relatively injury free, and as a result are unlikely to get the top seed. But if they enter the playoffs completely healthy, I think most would consider them to be the favorites in the East.

As for the Raps winning the Atlantic. Nope, not this year. Maybe finishing 4th in the East is possible, but unlikely.
    I Am Shutup

Raptors Republic Rookie Prophet2k's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I said it a few days ago that it is possible for the raps to catch boston, IF the celtics go on a losing streak and I mean like an 8 in a row or 1-9 kinda strech which is probably not gonna happen. But the C's have been known to loaf through the second half and rest their old men for the playoffs so really anything is possible. My concern would be if the raptors kill themselves to win the division and then have nothin left in the tank for the playoffs. The raptors won the Atlantic once and you should all remember the first round exit that year.
    limpin ain't easy, but I make it look good...

Raptors Republic All-Star brothersteve's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There should be zero chance of the Raps getting 1st in their Division EXCEPT Boston has been imploding after their hot start! The Cs are not playing well through injuries - the door may be open, just a crack!
    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Raptors Republic Rookie Deanialist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boston Beats the Wizards..

Man I'm hating on the way things went down it Washington!!!!

I was hoping for a win to put the Raps a clean 4 games behind the Celtics but now there 5 games back again Doh!!!

Raptors Republic Rookie JibbaJabba34's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Even though Boston won last night, at least Charlotte and Miami lost. As much as we can look ahead to possibly overtaking Boston for the division lead, we still have to watch our backs as Charlotte, Chicago and Miami are catching us by playing some really good ball too. I know that none of them are in our division, but the playoffs are based on our standings within the top 8 teams in the conference. It would really suck if any of those teams ended up overtaking us for 5th or even 4th place.

Raptors Republic Starter James Ballswin (Realizar)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I want another Atlantic Division title banner! LOL!

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You Guys Flatter Me - Thanks Bunches

One of my threads has become a sticky. Thanks guys/gals. I am greatly flattered and appreciate it.

Here's hoping that the Raptors play can keep it a Sticky.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
    I want another Atlantic Division title banner! LOL!
    Positive thoughts man, positive thoughts!

Side note: It's nice to see Raps fan excited and optimistic for the future. Here's hoping it lasts!

Post Thanks / Like

With Boston winning Monday in Washington and the Dinos losing last night, the Raps find themselves 5.5 games behind the C**tics for the Atlantic Division lead. Boston plays the Heat tonight at home while the Raps are at home to the lowly Nets. I'm guessing the Raps will not gain any ground tonight.

Code:
    Atlantic	W	L	PCT	  GB	  CONF   DIV   HOME	ROAD   L 10   STREAK
    Boston(3)	30	16	0.652  0.0	  20-10   8-1   13-8	17-8	   4-6	    W 1
    Toronto(5)	26	23	0.531  5.5	  18-16   4-3   17-6	9-17	   7-3	    L 1

Post Thanks / Like

Will it happen? No.
    Will it happen in 2-3 years? Most likely, yes.

Boston just has our number. They're like the old, crafty guys down at the Y. They know how to play and they'll whip your arse without any reservations.

Post Thanks / Like

Boston beats Miami tonight (02/03/10) and the Raps win against the Nets. No change, still 5.5 games back.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

The chances of the Raps winning the Atlantic are very slim. Maybe if we acquire a player (by the trade deadline) who would ultimately improve our team defense, then I can see us challenging the Celtics for the top spot.

Thread Information