Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HoopsWorld.com: “Which team is the biggest sleeper entering the 2012-13 season?”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HoopsWorld.com: “Which team is the biggest sleeper entering the 2012-13 season?”

Notice this is not written by Stephen Brotherston:

“Toronto Raptors. After a busy summer, the Raptors enter this season with high expectations. The message coming out of Toronto is that this team is much better than last year’s squad, which won 23 games, and that making the playoffs is a realistic goal.

The Raptors bring back their core from last season while adding key contributors such as Kyle Lowry, Landry Fields, Jonas Valanciunas and Terrence Ross.

Dealing a first-round pick for Lowry was a steal for Toronto. It may have been the most underrated acquisition of the summer. Lowry was exceptional last year, playing at an All-Star level for the Houston Rockets prior to missing games due to a bacterial infection. He’s one of the best defensive point guards in the league. On the offensive end, he’s improving as a shooter and he’ll make his teammates much better with his excellent court vision. He’s also great at drawing fouls and he’s statistically the best rebounding point guard in the league. Lowry is a difference maker. Not to mention, he’s already emerging as a leader in Toronto, which the Raptors desperately needed.

The Raptors are much better with Lowry running the team and they still have Jose Calderon, who will either be an exceptional sixth man or an attractive trade chip that Toronto can move for another contributor prior to the trade deadline.

If Andrea Bargnani and DeMar DeRozan can take the next step in their development, Toronto should be able to grab the eighth seed in the Eastern Conference. Bargnani showed glimpses of brilliance last year and, if he can stay healthy, he seems poised for a breakout season. DeRozan regressed last season, but he’s expected to step up and produce in a contract year.

The Raptors are flying under the radar entering the season, but they could end up being the biggest sleeper in the league. They have plenty of talent and if they can mesh under head coach Dwane Casey, this team should be able to exceed expectations and make the playoffs for the first time since 2007-08.” – Alex Kennedy

http://www.hoopsworld.com/sunday-top...-sleeper-team/
    Cleveland
    7.32%
    Detroit
    0.00%
    Milwaukee
    4.88%
    Toronto
    80.49%
    Washington
    7.32%

As soon as I read the title, I figured it was a Brotherston piece. But was pleasantly surprised. Nice find!

Nevertheless, I voted for Washington so as not to look like a homer, lol.

Comment

I think that we haven't begun to see what TO is capable of. JV is still just finding his way. I don't know what AB has shown in practice but Lowry is going to see aspects of his game that haven't come out in pre-season yet. I think Ross has a lot to show. He looks more lost than JV, and rightfully so since the center's job is simpler than the wings. And Calderon has to settle into his position off the bench and get a sense of where the second unit members need to get the bal and how they can best operate.

I still think the bench can be one of TO's greatest assets, but JC won't get maximum utility out of them until it is settled in everyone's mind that that is who he is going to be quarter-backing.

Comment

I love what BryCo has done to improve the roster in the offseason. Getting Lowry for Forbes and a first rounder?...Nice one! I think the Raps will have an opportunity to get the 8th spot in the east but I think 2 things will make that pretty tough - the start of the season on the road for the most part, and having to play 4 games apiece to each of theams in a vastly improved Atlantic division. I some of our ket cogs can remain relatively injury free this year, I think we'll be right there when the post season rolls around.

Comment

To avoid homer-ism as well, I voted for Milwaukee, who if healthy I think is a fairly decent team.
          "Come back, Lisa, you little love killer...Come back Lisa, Lisa Lisamiller."
          -Newsradio

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            As soon as I read the title, I figured it was a Brotherston piece. But was pleasantly surprised. Nice find!

Nevertheless, I voted for Washington so as not to look like a homer, lol.
            I wanted to go with WSH too, but just couldn't do it. I like they're young core, and they'll have an excellent young back-court when John Wall gets back.

Comment

I voted TO because the Raptors have a long and sacred tradition of playing well against good teams. Since so many of the good teams are in the Atlantic, I see the Raps cleaning up in their own division. :-)

Comment

I had to go with Toronto....I don't think it's homerism....Washington would be an honorable mention. We have good depth. Our talent level has been upgraded. We were also bad last year, so we're definitely flying under the radar. Good coach, motivated team that seems to have good chemistry...Very few negatives for us this year. Obviously we're not contenders, but we're clearly moving in the right direction with almost no one noticing.

CLE and DET would be the biggest surprises if they make the playoffs. But I think part of being a sleeper is that the surprise is only temporary, then when you look at the roster, it's easy to see how a team had success. I can't see that with CLE and DET. IT would take a miracle, an act of god, for them to make the playoffs...like Alonzo Gee channeling his inner Pippen for the whole season or something.

WAS would maybe be my pick if they started the season healthy. They have decent depth, but their main talent that will carry them is Wall/Nene...who are both injured right now. I don't know how long Nene is out...and Wall I think was to be out around 8 weeks, and that was when camp started about. That means that Washington won't have their real roster until maybe around December...and then they'll have to find a rhythm...I don't think they have enough talent to take that early hit to their season.

MIL I think just shouldn't even be in the discussion...It's just like they picked a random mediocre team in the east. They were 9th last year and had a 31-35 record. Now if they play .500 and make it in at 8th...that's not a big enough jump for me to think of them as a "sleeper". Milwaukee, when healthy, is a fairly decent team, and they should be, and they have been for a few seasons. Disqualified as a choice in my mind.

Comment

I voted for the Raptors. I see a very good balance in their line-up that should allow them to win close games against marginally better opponents. When you have players coming off the bench that can run in transition, they will wear down the opponent and when our starters return they will be able to crush the opponent. The was evident in the New York game even though it is pre-season NY did run their starters to try and win the game.

Comment

If Toronto does make the playoffs, Casey could be in the running for COY. I believe sports writers vote in for COY.. and if the prognosticators out there consider Toronto a lottery team, then them getting into the playoffs could be big for Dwane.

Comment

Why post it in the "Everything Raptors" section if you have a poll that includes other teams, won't end that well...

Would be better in the "NBA" section
                      TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

I would have voted Washington, but as someone else already mentioned they will be without Wall and Nene for a good chunk of the season. So I voted for Toronto mostly because we haven't seen jack shit from AB yet. He's this teams best scorer and once he gets back into a rythem with his shooting it will be lights out. He should space the floor nicely for DD and Lowry to take it to the basket.

Comment

Working...
                        X