Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grantland's Zach Lowe Likes the Raps Chances

From today's article

"The Eight Eastern Conference Playoff Teams Will Be …
    Miami, Boston, Indiana, Atlanta, Brooklyn, New York, Chicago, and Philadelphia. Toronto and Milwaukee will push hard for the no. 8 seed but fall short.

Bonus Raptors prediction: The Raptors will make a push for a top-10 ranking in points allowed per possession, a remarkable potential turnaround for a team that was an embarrassing dead last — with a bullet — just two seasons ago. Dwane Casey got this crew up to no. 14 last season, and with Kyle Lowry onboard to hound opposing point guards as the young bigs get more experience under Casey, another jump is possible. Integrating Jonas Valanciunas and reintegrating Andrea Bargnani will present some early challenges, and the Raptors might give up some more easy points if they remain committed to pushing the pace and shooting 3s. But this is a team to watch."

nice to get a little love here and there ...

Wasn't Lowe with SI? Espn is truly a "monster". Wonder when monopoly laws kick in

A reasonable writeup.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
      Wasn't Lowe with SI? Espn is truly a "monster". Wonder when monopoly laws kick in

A reasonable writeup.
      Ya - I think he was. Just joined Grantland a few weeks back. I like his stuff - the longer article with his 26 predictions for the NBA is a good read ..

Comment

Zach Lowe is one of my absolute favourites.

That being said; I think us just missing the playoffs, and getting the 14th pick in the draft is PERFECT actually.

14th pick for Kyle Lowry, while making obvious improvements and keeping all of our picks going forward? Awesome.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

That being said; I think us just missing the playoffs, and getting the 14th pick in the draft is PERFECT actually.

14th pick for Kyle Lowry, while making obvious improvements and keeping all of our picks going forward? Awesome.
          I dunno, I'd rather go into the playoffs, give rookies, DeMar, Ed playoff experience as well as give Lowry motivation to stay.

If we don't get into the playoffs, that's one year with Lowry out the window when he'll most likely leave after the second year.
          TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
            I dunno, I'd rather go into the playoffs, give rookies, DeMar, Ed playoff experience as well as give Lowry motivation to stay.

If we don't get into the playoffs, that's one year with Lowry out the window when he'll most likely leave after the second year.
            I'm not sure that making the playoffs (and getting dusted in the 1st round) provides any sort of guarantee that Lowry extends long-term.

Whether we make the playoffs or not, we should see significant improvement compared to last year. Hopefully that's enough reason for Lowry to see a good thing staring him in the face (along with a coaching staff that fits his playing style, a city looking for its next star, and the Alvin Williams proximity ).
            Last edited by Nilanka; Tue Oct 23, 2012, 04:00 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

The fan in me wants to push for playoffs, but the logical side of me agrees with you wholeheartedly, as the perfect outcome from the Lowry trade. Not only do we trade the worst possible pick, but it's done immediately, while enabling BC to once again include future 1st round picks (starting with 2015 pick) in potential trades (ie: for a big name SF).

Comment

theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post

pfffft ...wait.. what... im confused ... ???

So lowry wants to have a team that he can be the leader of. He finds a young up and coming team in the raptors who have handed the reigns over to him. Lowry has a coach who trusts him and they fit one anothers playing/coaching type to a T.

The raps will also have some nice cap space for a juicy lowry extension next year after Calderon is gone.

Tell us all again why lowry is most likely leaving after next year ???

Comment

My predictions:

-Lowry makes the all star game as a reserve.
                  -We finish as a top 10 defense.
                  -We make the playoffs and put up a fight against the Heat bringing it to 6 games
                  -Lowry will be offered a max deal, which will be overpaying but will keep us set up for a while

Book it.
                  "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                    My predictions:

-We make the playoffs and put up a fight against the Heat bringing it to 6 games
                    -Lowry will be offered a max deal, which will be overpaying but will keep us set up for a while

Book it.
                    I hope you're right, but maybe not about the overpaying part.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                      My predictions:

Book it.
                      lol some pretty bold predictions, but I like the optimism. Lowry probably won't maike the reserves since there is so much competition in the guard position. If he wants a chance, he has to at least score like 19-22 PPG, 3-4 RPG, 6-8 APG and 1 SPG, which is completely possible for him. But even then, he still probably won't make it. I can see us finishing Top 10 defensively so good prediction. I can also see us making playoff if things go well, but I doubt we can hold the Heat to 6 games. I say we either get swept or at more up to 5 games. I can also see us giving Lowry a max contract especially if he puts up stats like I just mentioned, so again good prediction...

Comment

pesterm1 wrote: View Post
                        pfffft ...wait.. what... im confused ... ???

So lowry wants to have a team that he can be the leader of. He finds a young up and coming team in the raptors who have handed the reigns over to him. Lowry has a coach who trusts him and they fit one anothers playing/coaching type to a T.

The raps will also have some nice cap space for a juicy lowry extension next year after Calderon is gone.

Tell us all again why lowry is most likely leaving after next year ???
                        I agree 100% with your post. Additions:

1) If Alvin Williams and he are as tight as advertised, another good reason.

2) Raps don't need cap space, they will have Bird Rights.

3) Raps are eligible to sign Lowry to an extension on July 14th, 2013. Hopefully the Raps will have done something with trade assets or in free agency so the Bird RIghts are fully maximized.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          The fan in me wants to push for playoffs, but the logical side of me agrees with you wholeheartedly, as the perfect outcome from the Lowry trade. Not only do we trade the worst possible pick, but it's done immediately, while enabling BC to once again include future 1st round picks (starting with 2015 pick) in potential trades (ie: for a big name SF).
                          Precisely.
                          I obviously wouldn't be upset with making the playoffs. Great experience for the young guys. Gives us hope to pull a Philly/Indy and start demanding some respect up in here.

But I wouldn't be upset either if we missed out on the playoffs as described; while again maintaining that progress has been made, and hope has been instilled for an even longer playoff run next year.

And we pull off a contender for deal of the decade by getting Lowry for a #14 pick.
                          Last edited by Joey; Tue Oct 23, 2012, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Isnt that Lowry deal for a lottery pick in any of the next 5 years at Houston's discretion...and if the Raptors either keeping making the playoffs or the Rockets pass on a high lottery pick (hoping to get a low one in a subsequent year)....for the 5 years, Houston gets nothing? Well only Gary Forbes.

If this were correct, the Raps should just keep making the playoffs.
                            Last edited by Bendit; Wed Oct 24, 2012, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                              Isnt that Lowry deal for a lottery pick in any of the next 5 years at Houston's discretion...and if the Raptors either keeping making the playoffs or the Rockets pass on a high lottery pick (hoping to get a low one in a subsequent year)....for the 5 years, Houston gets nothing? Well only Gary Forbes.

If this were correct, the Raps should just keep making the playoffs.

From RealGM:

2013 first round draft pick to Houston
                              Toronto's own 2013 1st round pick to Houston (Top-3 Protected and 15-30 Protected in the 2013 Draft, top-2 protected and 15-30 protected in 2014, top-2 protected and 15-30 protected in 2015, top-1 Protected and 15-30 protected in 2016, top-1 protected and 15-30 Protected in 2017 and unprotected in the 2018 Draft. [Houston-Toronto, 7/11/2012]

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dra...#ixzz2AFRlJQjO

Comment

Working...
                              X