No announcement yet.

Raps uniforms are ugly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We seem to have a uniform discussion every six months or so... talk about a topic with no "right" answer! lol

Personally, I hated the 'Raptors' name immediately, since it made us look like pathetic trend followers who latched on to the most popular thing going (Jurassic Park of all things). At least if it was the Calgary Raptors, there would be a natural dinosaur connection (ie: UofC Dinos). However, this franchise has been stuck with the name for 15+ years now, so there's little point changing it now. For the record, I also hate the 'Huskies' name, as it is one of the most generic team names going and also has very little relavance to Toronto/Ontario. I tend to like names that are cool, yet stand the test of time, while also having a relevance to the team/city in question.

As for the colors, I understand the shift to red. On one hand, it got away from the Barney references (purple dinosaur team) and was done in the wake of the Grizzlies leaving for Memphis, leaving the Raptors as Canada's NBA team. The Raptors using red is more natural than many of the other teams that have red included in their jerseys, so I don't mind it. I actually quite like the red & black jerseys, as shown nicely in NoProps' profile image (minus those stupid silver chevrons on the red stripe under the armpit).

Comment

those silver thingies look cool

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        We seem to have a uniform discussion every six months or so... talk about a topic with no "right" answer! lol

Personally, I hated the 'Raptors' name immediately, since it made us look like pathetic trend followers who latched on to the most popular thing going (Jurassic Park of all things). At least if it was the Calgary Raptors, there would be a natural dinosaur connection (ie: UofC Dinos). However, this franchise has been stuck with the name for 15+ years now, so there's little point changing it now. For the record, I also hate the 'Huskies' name, as it is one of the most generic team names going and also has very little relavance to Toronto/Ontario. I tend to like names that are cool, yet stand the test of time, while also having a relevance to the team/city in question.

As for the colors, I understand the shift to red. On one hand, it got away from the Barney references (purple dinosaur team) and was done in the wake of the Grizzlies leaving for Memphis, leaving the Raptors as Canada's NBA team. The Raptors using red is more natural than many of the other teams that have red included in their jerseys, so I don't mind it. I actually quite like the red & black jerseys, as shown nicely in NoProps' profile image (minus those stupid silver chevrons on the red stripe under the armpit).
        Oh, you'd love that, wouldn't you?! Mr.CalgaryRapsFan?!

Comment

our jerseys are top three worst jerseys in the league easily, we should have stuck with purple as our primary colour...
          Last edited by Ambidextrious; Tue Oct 23, 2012, 05:56 PM.
          We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
            our jerseys are top three worst jerseys in the league easily, we should have stuck with purple as our primary colour...
            oh god, ther really is no accounting for taste is there?

I think the current set are among the best of the "new era" jerseys. Personally hate the yellow Lakers Jerseys and the Utah ones.

Also love the name Huskies and the colourways. I have no problem with the blue colour schemes of the city and it's other 2 major sports teams and like that about the throw backs. Also for the guy who said they have no connection to Toronto/Ontario, well the Tdot connect is vague but dog sledding was quite common in Ontario back when it was quite common anywhere else outside of the Arctic. It is also a more recent activity in this area than Dinosaurs walking around in what is now Alberta. Hell, you can go dog sledding in many areas just outside of the GTA, I know of an outfit in Algonquin Park.
            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Raps jerseys are not ugly or anything, just boring as hell.

How do we go from Dinos on the front to nothing?

Comment

It's pretty telling that in the segment, there's only a couple seconds of image of the actual Raptors jersey, and about three times that much footage of our mascot. Sounds like what he doesn't like is the whole dinosaur metaphor, which is now actually pretty minimal everywhere other than in the mascot. I bet this guy doesn't even know what the current Raptors uniforms look like. They deserves credit for moving the design in a much more sophisticated, less cartoony direction. I think the Raptors jerseys are middle of the pack... tweak the type a bit, and it would be solid.

As a western canadian, I do appreciate the canadian touches on the jersey, but I wouldn't want to see the Raptors move any further toward a national identity. The current approach is enough in that regard.

Comment

As a sidebar, I think that one of the great franchise namings was that of the Toronto Blue Jays. Labatt's owned them and their major product is Labatt's Blue and so the baseball team became a great vehicle to get the product name out there as in "your Labatt's Blue Jays baseball" as the saying went.

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
                    oh god, ther really is no accounting for taste is there?

I think the current set are among the best of the "new era" jerseys. Personally hate the yellow Lakers Jerseys and the Utah ones.
                    Im not sure if I should take you seriously after you said you hate the lakers jersey. The Lakers have one of the best colour schemes in the league, you can never go wrong with purple and gold. If you think our current jersey look good then you must not have much taste. I feel its too basic, this jersey feels out of place when you look at other teams in the league. I think the purple jerseys are better looking with the purple front and black backs. The only thing I think that needs to be changed should be the font on the letters possibly something more graphic would be look good.
                    We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

those purple joints were the absolute worst

i somewhat like the black ones, just hate the piping along the sides and the neck.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

we need a change. Something to a different colour way, and logo design on the jerseys. Ours isn't overall ugly, just plain, damn boring.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

They could make the claw into a really nice logo, whether they go back to purple or even blue. The center court right now is probably as boring as a claw gets

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                            They need to bring back the purple dino's
                            When did we have purple dino's?

You aren't confusing this

with your favorite "actor" growing up, were you?

hehehehehee

Comment

As mentioned above, I don't think he has a problem with the style. It's the fact that our identity comes from the fact that we came into existence at the same time as Jurassic Park. Not much of a legacy to go on. I remember thinking that it was so short sighted at the time. What connection do we have to a dinosaur?! Have to admit, he called us out correctly on that. Does anyone remember that article that once reassigned all the names in the NBA to make them make sense? In an unrelated subject, did anyone else notice that the banner ad on the first page is a Kirsty Alley add for Poise? Who gave them the demographics for the republic? Or does it have to do with my computer? hmmmmm...never mind.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                                When did we have purple dino's?

You aren't confusing this

with your favorite "actor" growing up, were you?

hehehehehee
                                I meant the jersey's genius. And that wasn't really funny at all, better luck next time.

Comment

Working...
                                X