Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: aren't we stuck in mediocrity?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jimmie wrote: View Post
    Yes, this is entirely true, and was exactly my point. Thanks for backing me up.

He didn't state it as opinion. That's the problem. And he basically noted anyone not on board with his "opinion" is not a realist. When you state an opinion, reasonable people generally accept that there exist other, possibly equally-valid opinions. That's not the case here, which again, was my point. You can argue that opinions without any substantiation as to 'why' that opinion exists are the stock-in-trade of the internet if you want. That doesn't make it 'reasonable discussion'.

BTW, re your quoted text from my reply: the Raptors cap situation IS fact, not opinion. How you 'feel' about the cap situation is your opinion, but they have money to spend and are not strapped by unworkable contracts. It's different from saying, for instance, that if the Raptors aren't making a deep playoff run within two years, Lowry will definitely leave.
    but that is just your opinion, like craiger said he believes he is right. Here's an idea why don't you come up with an argument to contradict his opinion instead of overdosing on estrogen pills.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jimmie wrote: View Post
    Yes, this is entirely true, and was exactly my point. Thanks for backing me up.

He didn't state it as opinion. That's the problem. And he basically noted anyone not on board with his "opinion" is not a realist. When you state an opinion, reasonable people generally accept that there exist other, possibly equally-valid opinions. That's not the case here, which again, was my point. You can argue that opinions without any substantiation as to 'why' that opinion exists are the stock-in-trade of the internet if you want. That doesn't make it 'reasonable discussion'.

BTW, re your quoted text from my reply: the Raptors cap situation IS fact, not opinion. How you 'feel' about the cap situation is your opinion, but they have money to spend and are not strapped by unworkable contracts. It's different from saying, for instance, that if the Raptors aren't making a deep playoff run within two years, Lowry will definitely leave.

I was hardly backing you up. If you trully believe what I said and what you claim to be saying, then there was no reason to call anyone a 'pessimist' as being a pessimist (or optimist) has no bearing. It would technically be impossible as there is no reality. We would all just be. You even mentioning that would indicate that you believe there is a possible 'reality' (and therefore there is realism) one that you may not share with Lark. However its somehow Lark's reality that is 'clouded' by his 'pessimism'?

I don't think he could have been more blunt:

I'm presenting the reasons for my opinion
    Now even if thats missed, the environment he is making his points in should clearly indicate its an opinion. Ofcourse if there is no realism, then everything is clearly opinion, so how could you even question what he's saying is doing anything other than presenting an opinion?

His first statement came by responding to:

If you cant see the improvement and growth from the raptors as a whole something is wrong with you.
    yet its Lark's comments that get harped on for 'presenting opinion as fact', or not 'reasonable discussion'? He was very much responding to someone who did that very thing. Yet he gets a response of "whatever"? (from another) If you trully believe what you say is true (ie. no realism, 'reasonable discussion' yada yada yada)... you should be supporting Lark. Yet......

Anyways enough philosophy. To actual facts - while their current exact cap room is a fact, its "situation", let alone that situation being "fantastic", is not fact. That is all opinion. See how easy it is to mistakenly present fact as opinion? Or believe your opinion is fact? Or question whether one is presenting opinion as fact?

Needless to say I'll go back to my initial statement. The center is always right of the left, and left of the right. Where you sit dictates what you view as 'fact', 'opinion' and 'reality'; and what and how you view the others 'facts', 'opinions' and 'realities'. But its those sitting too far on one side or the other, that are loath to realize this.
    Last edited by Craiger; Tue Oct 30th, 2012 at 12:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been more than 20 messages since anything basketball-related has actually been discussed and this thread has become a pissing match about semantics and the metaphysical existence of preferred/perceived realities... which tells me that it's time to close this thread.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread Information