This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aren't we stuck in mediocrity?

sure it's all fun now to see derozan's improved athleticism/agressiveness from last year, and the rookie (val), and lowry
    that novelty will soon wear thin.

but aren't we stuck in mediocrity?

a lot of people have us as the 8th seed if we're lucky (including most on this board), derozan and bargnani both don't play any defense, I don't think it is likely for us to get very good value for the players we want to get rid of (kleiza,calderon,bargnani,derozan,etc.) outside of valanciunas turning into a superstar exactly how are we supposed to get to the next level?

I dunno, maybe I think about it too much, and should get another hobby? what do you guys think.

I know b.c. is great at making something out of nothing but I don't think he has much to work with here to get us an elite player (all his own fault of course)

Very few teams reach that "next level", and if they do it takes many many years. I think that even being stuck in mediocrity for a few years, making 8th, 7th or even 6th seed would be great for the franchise. Bringing in consistent playoff games for the players is great, it also allows the organization to have the opportunity to invest more into the Raptors considering the extra money you'd get from reaching the playoffs.

Also constantly maintaining this "mediocrity" will push the Raptors away from being "losers". So Toronto would become a more attractive location. For example a team like the Bulls, Pacers, Trailblazers etc.. are considered teams which can win, and having that label alone is great for a franchise.

The Raptors aren't even a 20 year old franchise, any sort of improvement will be great for the future. If you're expecting a championship within this generation of players then you're going to have a tough time supporting this team!

Comment

We will continue to gradually move up the standings as our young guys improve and then a bigtime FA will come along and go "Hey! the raptors are badass lemme join them and help them win a championship". Bang! there you go, i'm dead serious btw. It may sound silly but its how it will/should play out

Comment

What the heck is this thread?
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

How can we be stuck in mediocrity when we haven't reached it yet

HOW ABOUT WE GET TO MIDSEASON BEFORE WE MAKE JUDGMENTS
          TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
            Very few teams reach that "next level", and if they do it takes many many years. I think that even being stuck in mediocrity for a few years, making 8th, 7th or even 6th seed would be great for the franchise. Bringing in consistent playoff games for the players is great, it also allows the organization to have the opportunity to invest more into the Raptors considering the extra money you'd get from reaching the playoffs.

Also constantly maintaining this "mediocrity" will push the Raptors away from being "losers". So Toronto would become a more attractive location. For example a team like the Bulls, Pacers, Trailblazers etc.. are considered teams which can win, and having that label alone is great for a franchise.

The Raptors aren't even a 20 year old franchise, any sort of improvement will be great for the future. If you're expecting a championship within this generation of players then you're going to have a tough time supporting this team!
            I don't like your sentiments here because it's not even true. I know these teams are rare, but goddammit why can't we be one of those teams that catch fire in a bottle.

OKC - drafted durant, westbrook
            BOS - Big 3 came together, before that they were a lottery team
            LAK - They retool and take big risks every couple of years

Doesn't it feel like a rip-off to follow a franchise that won't take risks to obtain a higher level of talent. Im a go big or go home kind of guy.......

Comment

theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
              How can we be stuck in mediocrity when we haven't reached it yet

HOW ABOUT WE GET TO MIDSEASON BEFORE WE MAKE JUDGMENTS
              well everyone is guilty of this, just ask them who they think will be in the playoffs. there isn't anything wrong with speculating imo.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                well everyone is guilty of this, just ask them who they think will be in the playoffs. there isn't anything wrong with speculating imo.

Even if their predictions are true, doesn't mean we don't build from there and get to the playoffs the next year...

...thus not getting stuck in mediocrity.

Maybe after those analysts see us improving in the season (and other teams crashing down to Earth from lofty expectations) maybe they'll change their tune?

Nothing wrong with speculating, am I right?
                TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

I don't like your sentiments here because it's not even true. I know these teams are rare, but goddammit why can't we be one of those teams that catch fire in a bottle.

OKC - drafted durant, westbrook
                  BOS - Big 3 came together, before that they were a lottery team
                  LAK - They retool and take big risks every couple of years

Doesn't it feel like a rip-off to follow a franchise that won't take risks to obtain a higher level of talent. Im a go big or go home kind of guy.......

Olajuwon, failed twin towers, hedo were all swing for the fences that failed. we've swung, just keep striking out so for once they are building from the ground up.

damned if they do i guess

Comment

theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
                    Even if their predictions are true, doesn't mean we don't build from there and get to the playoffs the next year...

...thus not getting stuck in mediocrity.

Maybe after those analysts see us improving in the season (and other teams crashing down to Earth from lofty expectations) maybe they'll change their tune?

Nothing wrong with speculating, am I right?
                    well it also helps to be realistic when speculating. outside of the milwaukee bucks I can't name many teams with worse cores than us moving forward.

Comment

well it also helps to be realistic when speculating. outside of the milwaukee bucks I can't name many teams with worse cores than us moving forward.

bucks, bobcats, wizards, arguabley warriors, pheonix, rockets, except for kyrie cavs, depending on drummond pistons, orlando, . all teams who i would say are worse off then us trying to get out of the bottom

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                        Olajuwon, failed twin towers, hedo were all swing for the fences that failed. we've swung, just keep striking out so for once they are building from the ground up.

damned if they do i guess
                        well imo we should keep swinging. Except be smarter about it. I actually loathe teams that are average and stay that way every year. (bucks etc..)

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                          bucks, bobcats, wizards, arguabley warriors, pheonix, rockets, except for kyrie cavs, depending on drummond pistons, orlando, . all teams who i would say are worse off then us trying to get out of the bottom
                          the rockets and orlando,(bucks i mentioned) those are the only ones I'll give you. 2morrow I might go into more detail but I gotta study. peace out niggaz.

and warriors plz (curry,bogut,harrison barnes seems better 2 me than us.)

Comment

We may end up a mediocre team in 5 years...or Val and Bargs could become the best 4-5 tandem in NBA history...or Terrance Ross is the next Kobe....or something magic happens and Ed Davis turns in KG....or Lebron could decide he realllly likes Canada. Point is we are at a stage where there are a lot of possibilities. We may have the pieces for a contender on the team right now and not know it.

I think the thing to keep in mind in that since Bargs was drafted, the highest pick we have had is Jonas. Until we see his full potential, which is probably going to take a while, we should not count this team out.
                            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

There's a difference with us compared to the actuality of treadmill teams. We have young players, that can only get better because they have great potential, not to mention they will be contributors or will be 'X' factors right out of the gate. Guys like Lowry, Derozan, Valanciunas, Ross, Fields, Davis. Our core is significantly young, and this team is seriously on the way up. Not to mention an identity already built from last season.

Although, I am huge on the go big, or go home philosophy.
                              Right now, if everything goes completely right, in 3-4 years, Valanciunas is an all-star big man, a top centre in the league, probably the franchise player down the road. Ross progresses to be a rare and very good two way contributor, Derozan an elite wing, Fields develops into the Battier comparison, Lowry breaks into the first-tier and an all-star guard, and Davis turns into a near 10-10 guy. Going as a whole house - if this team has everything going right - probably as high as a conference final. BUT, that's ONLY if there are no bumps along the road of any player or the team.

I think this team, going realistically, will be improving every year, IF guys continue to buy into the system. For the next 3-4 years, a playoff appearance is surely in sight, but not too much home-court advantage.

Than, winning overtime starts to attract players, media, and attention. That's when teams break out of mediocrity, by making the playoffs, and being a top 16 team. From there, every team is primed, and could have a chance at a championship. Unlikely for Toronto though.
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                              X