How will the Raptors make the playoffs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tkfu wrote: View Post
    +4 ppg differential translates into a 53-29 record, waay better than 'in the hunt for 8th'. I think that's a bit optimistic, don't you?
    how you figure that? Philly, Indy and ATL had between +3.3 and +4.2 pt diff and none of them had 53 wins. Philly had a +4.2 ppgd and finished 4 games over .500
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
      how you figure that? Philly, Indy and ATL had between +3.3 and +4.2 pt diff and none of them had 53 wins. Philly had a +4.2 ppgd and finished 4 games over .500
      Pythagorean predicted win percentage, using an exponent of 14. But honestly, since you don't seem to be able to pick out the glaringly obvious mathematical flaw in adding together player per-game scoring averages to get a team scoring average, I'm guessing you're not going to understand that.

Comment

you're very smart, oh so smart that you are using a formula that OBVIOUSLY predicted incorrectly BASED ON THE EVIDENCE. Look at past years and show me where a team that outscored it's opp. by 4 on average went on to a guaranteed 53 wins. Philly last year went +4.2 and only won 4 games more than they lost smart ass.
        LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

you're very smart, oh so smart that you are using a formula that OBVIOUSLY predicted incorrectly BASED ON THE EVIDENCE. Look at past years and show me where a team that outscored it's opp. by 4 on average went on to a guaranteed 53 wins. Philly last year went +4.2 and only won 4 games more than they lost smart ass.
          Over the history of the NBA, pythagorean win percentage is correlated with actual win percentage 94.9%.

But since you seem to think that a single data point makes an argument, here are the teams from the past 5 years that had a point differential around 4.0 and their wins (last year's records adjusted for 82 games:

11-12
          ------
          PHI +4.2 43.5
          ATL +3.4 49.7
          IND +3.3 52.1

10-11
          ------
          OKC +3.8 55
          DAL +4.2 57

09-10
          ------
          DEN +4.1 53
          BOS +3.7 50
          POR +3.3 50
          OKC +3.5 50

08-09
          ------
          DEN +3.4 54
          SAS +3.8 54
          HOU +4.0 53

And just to hammer home how wrong you are, let me just present this quote:

...lucking into the 8th with one of those awesome sub .500 records, 38-40 wins.

...keep us in the hunt for 8th with a roughly +4ppg differential.
          Yes folks, there is actually a person who thinks that an NBA team could manage to outscore its opponents by an average of 4 points per night and still manage to have a losing record.

I'm done.

Comment

Yes folks I've been shown up by a math nerd. I'll lower my rather flippant call for a +4ppg d down to a 21.5-2ppg d. There happy? as happy as your sticky paged copy of "Money Ball" makes you? You could of just pointed it out instead of being such a little dick about it when you threw out the 53 wins without any suggestion of how you came to that point. But, alas, here we are. You are obviously a genius and I a knuckle dragging pleeb, awaiting to do your bidding.

I'm done too. Think I'll go and add some stuff.
            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Yes folks I've been shown up by a math nerd. I'll lower my rather flippant call for a +4ppg d down to a 21.5-2ppg d. There happy? as happy as your sticky paged copy of "Money Ball" makes you? You could of just pointed it out instead of being such a little dick about it when you threw out the 53 wins without any suggestion of how you came to that point. But, alas, here we are. You are obviously a genius and I a knuckle dragging pleeb, awaiting to do your bidding.

I'm done too. Think I'll go and add some stuff.
              Just to straighten things out. You were the one being a dick

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                I disagree, the other guy showed him up. I would be pissed too

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                  I disagree, the other guy showed him up. I would be pissed too
                  but other guy was being a dick before this guy. So this guy just returned the favor to other guy.

Comment

but other guy was being a dick before this guy. So this guy just returned the favor to other guy.
                    So basically everyone was being dicks.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                      So basically everyone was being dicks.
                      haha yea. I was just trolling

Comment

Easy NoProps, it isn't your fight and you're not the dick police. Please leave it alone or leave it to the Mods to deal with, instead of just egging them on.

Cheers

Comment

How can the Raps climb over a few playoff teams from last year?

#1 - The 76ers starting lineup for the beginning of the season will be:
                          Jrue Holiday, Jason Richardson, Evan Turner, Thaddeus Young & Lavoy Allen ... seriously ... we're better at all 5 spots for the time being - and the return of Bynum will give them their only advantage. (our bench is also superior)

#2 - The Knicks currently have injuries to Tyson Chandler, Marcus Camby, Amare Stoudmire & Rasheed Wallace ... that is going to be a merry-go-round of injuries, making it even MORE of just 'Melo chucking shots with a poor supporting cast.

Gooooo Raptors.
                          The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                            So if Andrea exceeds his best season in points (18) by over 20%, matches his best year in RB (6.5) and DeMar exceeds his best season PPG (15.7) by 27% and exceeds his career averages in RB and dimes, JV can put uo rookie of the year numbers, Ross matches the output of the 6th man of the year award winner, Lowry and exceed his best point average by 3 and almost double his best year assist number, and everybody else plays at their highest expected level, then the Raps can make the play-offs?

Hand me my crying towel Moma, and get out the salami and cheese. This party's over.
                            Can you tell me in which alternate reality newspaper you are getting your stats?

Andrea averaged 21.4 PPG (35:39 MPG) two seasons ago and 19.5 PPG (33:16 MPG) last season. Andrea has yet to average 6.5 RPG in any season (6.2 RPG in 2009-10 was his best). DeMNar averaged 17.2 PPG (34:46 MPG) two seasons and 16.7 (35:00 MPG) last season.

It's hard for me to take you seriously when it's obvious looking up facts is very difficult task for you.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              Easy NoProps, it isn't your fight and you're not the dick police. Please leave it alone or leave it to the Mods to deal with, instead of just egging them on.

Cheers
                              But i am the dick police

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                                Can you tell me in which alternate reality newspaper you are getting your stats?

Andrea averaged 21.4 PPG (35:39 MPG) two seasons ago and 19.5 PPG (33:16 MPG) last season. Andrea has yet to average 6.5 RPG in any season (6.2 RPG in 2009-10 was his best). DeMNar averaged 17.2 PPG (34:46 MPG) two seasons and 16.7 (35:00 MPG) last season.

It's hard for me to take you seriously when it's obvious looking up facts is very difficult task for you.
                                My mistake. I was looking at the totals on http://www.nba.com/playerfile/andrea...eer_stats.html

NBA.com Career Stats, but they were pre-season stats. It is INDEED obvious that looking up facts is a difficult task for me. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X